Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC Now Released  (Read 18912 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Lightroom CC Now Released
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 02:30:55 pm »

Do you mean compatibility between LR6 and LR "CC"?  
No, my old LR5 catalog and new LR6 catalog. I'll keep the older around with the app which is perpetual. But if I can't take the LR6 catalog back to version 5, I'll end up deleting it and the older application once I'm sure I want to move forward.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:27 pm »

From where did you download it, everytime I go to download from the adobe webpage (spanish version after login), it just downloads the Adobe Creative Cloud installer...

For LR 6:  On the US site go to the LR page.  Scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see a small panel to buy LR 6.  At the shopping cart, you can click the "Edit" button and can then select to upgrade LR for $79 rather than buy the full version.

rdonson

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2015, 02:38:32 pm »

He promised something BIG. I guess we can expect some honesty once he's pulled in his audience.

I think the BIG was the 15 new classes on LR 6/CC KelbyOne. Hopefully not all done by Kelby himself.
Regards,
Ron

Rick Popham

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2015, 02:42:23 pm »

No, my old LR5 catalog and new LR6 catalog. I'll keep the older around with the app which is perpetual. But if I can't take the LR6 catalog back to version 5, I'll end up deleting it and the older application once I'm sure I want to move forward.

Ah.  I read on one of the sites that LR6 will need a new catalog and won't be backward compatible.  But I've been looking at so many sites this afternoon that I couldn't tell you where I saw it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2015, 02:43:22 pm »

I think the BIG was the 15 new classes on LR 6/CC KelbyOne. Hopefully not all done by Kelby himself.
ALL those classes for an upgrade he presumably admits is not exactly earth shattering? A guess suckers are born every minute and they will sign up and pay for something they can get better for free without a lick of sales. Julieann's video on Face Detection was all I needed to get started using the feature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45_zCZnqmqU
A mere 5:39 minutes of my time, no BS, no hype and best yet, pic's of Julieann as a child and teenager.  :P
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2015, 02:43:36 pm »

Just in case you are still waiting for Lightroom CC to show up in you Creative Cloud account is if you sign out and then sign back in Lightroom CC will show up.

Stu

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2015, 02:45:02 pm »

And it will all soon hit the fan. LR6 is the last standalone version - new features won't come to it, only CC.

I can understand why you might interpret Kelby's words that way, Bob, but it certainly doesn't say that Lr6 is the "last standalone version". It says no new features will be added to Lr6. It does not say there will be no Lr7.

No new features for Lr6 is no different to Lr5 where the brush extension to the grad and radial filters was added to ACR/CC but didn't arrive in Lr until today.

Rick Popham

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 02:55:22 pm »

Well, this was unexpected.  I bought the perpetual LR6 upgrade intending to use the perpetual version on both laptop and desktop (even though I have the Photography Plan, I've never loaded LIghtroom as part of CC).  But it installed not as LR 6, but as LR CC.  Crap.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2015, 03:03:47 pm »

But it installed not as LR 6, but as LR CC.  Crap.

Why, what's actually wrong?

Rick Popham

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2015, 03:19:12 pm »

Why, what's actually wrong?

I want to keep LR as a perpetual license on my laptop, and therefore I'd like to keep the same on my desktop.  I don't know how LR CC will diverge from LR6 over the course of time, so I want the same app on both machines.  I never downloaded LR via CC, and kept with my perpetual LR5.  I want to continue that.  Maybe I should have signed out of CC before I installed LR6...

Alun

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2015, 03:19:59 pm »

No layers?! No content aware stuff?! The same ACR Process Engine?! Hardly warrants a version increase really
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:29:36 pm by Alun »

ButchM

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »

The Kelby video went about like Andrew predicted.  Here's my summary:

The new features look quite good but not exactly earth shattering although the performance improvements with use of the GPU could be.

The video went like this after starting about 15 min late due to tech difficulties:
Blather, Blather, Blather, Ad, Blather, Blather, Blather, Shameless Plug, Blather, Blather, Blather,Show new feature, Blather, Blather, Blather, Bad Joke, Blather, Blather, Blather,

Repeat until you're out of time.

Conversely ... I actually enjoyed the free webinar offered today by Creative Live with Jared Platt  and Matt Kloskowski ... while I don't always agree with Matt K ... I do find him sincere in his efforts to share and inform. There was a bit of commercialization but just enough to pay their way ... not bowl you over with ceaseless efforts to lighten your wallet ...  ;)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2015, 03:22:32 pm »

I want to keep LR as a perpetual license on my laptop, and therefore I'd like to keep the same on my desktop.  I don't know how LR CC will diverge from LR6 over the course of time, so I want the same app on both machines.  I never downloaded LR via CC, and kept with my perpetual LR5.  I want to continue that.  Maybe I should have signed out of CC before I installed LR6...

AFAICS the only divergence will be LrMobile.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2015, 03:23:21 pm »

No layers?! No content aware stuff?! Hardly warrants a version increase really

Sorry, that's just nonsense.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2015, 03:31:55 pm »

Well, this was unexpected.  I bought the perpetual LR6 upgrade intending to use the perpetual version on both laptop and desktop (even though I have the Photography Plan, I've never loaded LIghtroom as part of CC).  But it installed not as LR 6, but as LR CC.

I suspect that's just the way Adobe is branding the new version.

NancyP

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2015, 03:35:20 pm »

I never try to download something on the first day or two of release. I let other people swamp the server. To tell the truth, the only thing that sounded interesting in Lr5 was radial gradient. I am still on Lr4. Lr4 process 2012 was a major step forward, probably more important than anything since then. I will buy Lr6 after the dust settles, or perhaps only when I move to a Retina laptop. I gather that Lr4 and Lr5 run pretty slowly on Retina laptops. Lr4 is not too slow for the non-Retina MBPs (circa 2010). C'mon, laptop, you can make it another 6 months to a year....  :D

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:37 pm »

I suspect that's just the way Adobe is branding the new version.

No, it's Lightroom recognising that you are signed in with an active CC account, using that to start up the software (See the Help>System Info dialog), and not then needing to look for the perpetual licence. The versions are identical apart from LrMobile being active, though in their branding they are certainly going to emphasize CC and Cloud-connected workflows like LrMobile, Slate, Comp etc.

NancyP

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2015, 03:46:57 pm »

OK, Lr6/LrCC uses OpenGL 3.3 and the GPU to speed rendering, and it is speedier, according to the user in the link below. This sounds promising.
https://photographylife.com/lightroom-6-announcement-and-preview#more-106458 and other sources listed previously in the thread.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2015, 03:48:17 pm »

ALL those classes for an upgrade he presumably admits is not exactly earth shattering? A guess suckers are born every minute and they will sign up and pay for something they can get better for free without a lick of sales. Julieann's video on Face Detection was all I needed to get started using the feature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45_zCZnqmqU
A mere 5:39 minutes of my time, no BS, no hype and best yet, pic's of Julieann as a child and teenager.  :P

I agree, Julieanne's tutorials really rock. No BS, full of factual info, and great examples, all in a tight timeframe.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

headmj

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2015, 03:49:56 pm »

I did the upgrade about about 13:00 EDT.  I upgraded adobe CC.  When that finished I upgraded Lightroom CC.  Absolutely no problems.  I then allowed the PS CC and bridge to update.  No problem.  Ran all the new applications.  No problem.  I will actually try to edit and print some photos this evening.

The HDR and Panorama capabilities will be greatly appreciated.  I really hated to lose the flexibility of my raw files when I had to take them to photoshop (or a 3rd party program) for either process.

It already apparent that the speed is better.  I will make a better judgment of this tonight.

Nice job.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up