Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SureColor SC-P800 review  (Read 16429 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Re: Epson SureColor SC-P800 review
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 04:57:18 am »

Maybe you can place a picture of it in you're review, that small plastic part is very useful, but not well known ;-)
Thanks - I've just added a roll-over image of it working.

All the comments and questions are much appreciated - I may have written quite a few printer reviews, but it's still easy to miss things, and if one person takes the trouble to ask, then a dozen more may have just wondered...

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 05:09:46 am »

Nice review, thanks!

Dan Vincent

• Daniel Vincent Aviation Photography
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 09:35:50 am »

Thanks - I've just added a roll-over image of it working.

All the comments and questions are much appreciated - I may have written quite a few printer reviews, but it's still easy to miss things, and if one person takes the trouble to ask, then a dozen more may have just wondered...

Wow, that little lever is there on the 3800 too and I never even knew about it! Thanks for posting this photo in your review. Thanks Keith and Alain!

dwswager

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 11:44:55 am »

A remark about the skewing of larger papers.  I had this with my 3800 until I noticed a small plastic turnable piece on the right of the rear feeder, it's on the first part that can be pulled out and about 3cm long.

I adjusted it and made it about a mm wider (closer to the print) and almost all my prints are now straight.

Hmm...Sounds like going backwards.  I just upgraded to the 3880 and the rear tray has a hard edge that runs all the way down the right edge of the rear tray.  Wondering if the connection for the roll feeder makes that impossible on the new P800.

Dan Vincent

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 01:04:48 pm »

They're talking about the normal sheet feeder (the one you extend up from the top of the printer), not the rear manual feed, which is a different thing. The little flip-up lever works in conjunction with the sheet feeder's guides.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:14:07 pm by Dan Vincent »

elolaugesen

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 02:23:06 pm »

Re the little plastic on rear feeder.  I am not at home , I assume the  when you say right side you are facing the printer from the front?????  T

Thank you.   Would love the roller...  But bought a new 3880 early last year?   Sold the 3800 to a friend who loves it....

Cheers elo

Dan Vincent

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 03:37:19 pm »

Yes, it is on the right side of the fold-out sheet feeder tray on both the P800 and 3880 (and likely even on the 3800 too). Here's Keith's photo of it.

Keith, how's the quality of the output tray (the pull-out tray on the front to hold finished printed sheets)? It was the flimsiest part on the 3880, is it any more robust/substantial on the P800?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:42:07 pm by Dan Vincent »

alain

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 05:33:48 pm »

Yes, it is on the right side of the fold-out sheet feeder tray on both the P800 and 3880 (and likely even on the 3800 too). Here's Keith's photo of it.

Keith, how's the quality of the output tray (the pull-out tray on the front to hold finished printed sheets)? It was the flimsiest part on the 3880, is it any more robust/substantial on the P800?

It's the same on the 3800.  I had to adapt the size a little.  I used a plastic C -glide for curtains (hope it's understandable in English) that I can put over it (and make it also a few cm longer so that paper can't get over the side).  That way I have something that's a little thicker and a little higher.  Now my paper has no skew or maybe 1 mm on 80cm.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 07:39:32 pm »

Thanks for the review. I have had the 3880 for several years and never had a clog. I never turn it off. Electricity is cheaper than ink.

It's good to see a roll feeder. That would be a great advantage as I now cut 17" rolls for the 3880.  It's a shame about no cutter though. You would need to pull the paper out a fair way to cut it without damaging the print and then feed it back. I expect the 4900 will continue.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

barry685

• http://www.barrystudios.com
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2015, 01:17:53 pm »

Keith
In your review you used 10" roll paper. According to the Roll feed specs the minimum roll width is 13". Is this false?
Barry

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 07:14:11 pm »

I note that the P800 has the same number and colour of ink as the 3880, albeit a different type of ink. How does the gamut of this compare to the 4900 with a ten ink set including the extra colours?

I am quite happy with the 3880 at the moment and have some spare inks. At some stage (or if it dies) I would like to get a printer where I don't have to cut rolls to make long prints and want a wider gamut. How do you think this compares to the 4900 in print quality, usability and cost?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2015, 08:47:52 pm »

I note that the P800 has the same number and colour of ink as the 3880, albeit a different type of ink.
Further, when I go to the Epson Pro site where one usually downloads ICC Profiles, go to P800 and ask see the profiles for this printer, I'm taken to a page of papers for the 3880. Profiles not done? Or they expect P800 users to use the 3880 profiles?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Stefan Ohlsson

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 03:37:35 am »

I note that the P800 has the same number and colour of ink as the 3880, albeit a different type of ink. How does the gamut of this compare to the 4900 with a ten ink set including the extra colours?
I haven't tested the P800, but I have built some profiles for the SC P600 when I tested that printer. The total gamut volume is about the same because of the darker black, but Epson 4900 has a small advantage in the green and orange areas. Otherwise they are very similar when you use ColorThink to compare the gamuts.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:04:57 am by Stefan Ohlsson »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up