Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: American West  (Read 1291 times)

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
American West
« on: April 19, 2015, 04:33:04 pm »

Panasonic GX7
Lumix 35-100
LR 5.7
F/5.0 at 1/3200

The vast grounds of the American west! For years I had read about it, saw videos and looked at the images of the greats, my curiosity aroused at what I was missing. And now I've been privileged to stand in their very footsteps and look into the heart the land. I'm now I'm beginning to understand their love, one could argue obsession with this hallowed ground. Snow covered mountains caress your eyes as you stare at the awesome beauty of these ancient places. Clouds sweep over the skies, adding a touch of drama to something that was already gorgeous enough. It wasn't really necessary. You had me at hello.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: American West
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:41:10 pm »

Gee golly. All we need now is the Magnificent Seven to ride over yonder hills! ;)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

mseawell

• Mark Seawell's Photo World
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:55:48 pm »

That would work! Or John Wayne!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 03:57:02 am »

A classic indeed.

francois

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:09:44 am »

Francois

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 11:07:27 am »

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:06:35 am »

For those of you who have never experienced seeing the Rocky Mountains loom agianst a Kansas skyline, you can't truly understand what this shot really represents. It must have been daunting to the settlers of yore to see this and be only mid summer or early fall, knowing full well what winter would bring. And yet, save a few souls who made Kansas work as their "West," onward they went...I admire their tanaciousness and thus I admire this shot.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Colorado David

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 10:18:15 am »

In order to see the Rocky Mountains loom against a Kansas skyline, you'd have to travel back prior to 1861.  Prior to 1861 much of Northern Colorado, including what is now Rocky Mountain National Park, the Collegiate Peaks, and the Arkansas River drainage, was part of the Kansas Territory.  Most people who settled in Kansas at that time did so purposely, not because they made it work.  Kansas is misunderstood by a lot of people.  People came to Kansas to farm because the land and soil is ideal for the kind of crops they grew in whatever country they came from, mostly hard red winter wheat.  At the time of statehood, many people, abolitionists, came to Kansas for the purpose of having Kansas enter the union as a free state, thus tipping the balance and forcing the issue of slavery.  It worked.

Really beautiful shot by the way.  It captures the essence of the American West.  Well done.

Colorado David

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:53 am »

From Sutter's Mill by Dan Fogelberg

Well, some fell prey to hostile arrows
As they tried to cross the plains.
And some were lost in the rocky mountains
With their hands froze to the reins.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 12:55:47 pm »

I've ridden a bicycle across KS more than once and about the time you get close to the state line at Burlington, they're pretty visible..maybe not what you see west of Denver, but still daunting with winter coming on or at the end of summer and having to ride up them. I agree that many settled in Kansas because of the soil, but they were probably much later on. I'm just going by what I've read of the folks whose horses or oxen gave out and they plopped themselves by the road, made a mud house and took up residence. Likely the Kiowas, Comanches and Arapahos got most of them before they got too settled in.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

sarrasani

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 06:02:59 pm »

very fascinating. Particular and effective the more and more higher contrast in the higher zone.
all the best!
S.
Film cameras (13X18, 2,4X3,6), digital-foveon and digital-mosaic cameras.
Only manual focus lenses.
Pages: [1]   Go Up