Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring Morning, Grindstone Creek Floodplain  (Read 483 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Spring Morning, Grindstone Creek Floodplain
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:03:12 pm »

After years of my photography students telling me about the Hendrie Valley and Grindstone Creek area of the Royal Botanical Gardens in Burlington, Ontario - I finally got there yesterday morning. The point of going is the wildlife: nuthatches that feed from the hand (anywhere else, it's only chickadees that would do that); downy and red-bellied woodpeckers only a couple of metres away; less common wood ducks, gnat-catchers, trumpeter swans, all there, plus all the birds, frogs, turtles you would expect to find in southern Ontario.

So what do I key in on? The light, patterns and textures of the cattail marsh fresh from the melted snow. Well, no exactly "fresh" as they are now grey and dinghy-looking. I managed decent-enough photos of the birds, but my passion is the land and its ever-changing moods. So here is my take on an early spring morning...

D800E 18-35mm @ 32mm; ƒ11 @ISO 100 w/ POL; –1⅔EV; LR 5.7 B&W w/ warm split-toning. C&C welcome.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Spring Morning, Grindstone Creek Floodplain
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:06:28 pm »

I like it right up to the point on the right side of the frame but feel the sky and the marsh area loses too much defintion from that point upward.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Spring Morning, Grindstone Creek Floodplain
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:02:53 am »

I like the several diagonals in the image, pleasantly leading the eye throughout the scenery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up