Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture 1?  (Read 58971 times)

glocke12

Capture 1?
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:40:00 am »

I've been using Aperture for several years now, and since APple will no longer be supporting ( >:(), I am now in the process of evaluating LR and C1 Pro as alternatives.

So far, C1 Pro seems to be coming out ahead in all areas from the management side of things to also the raw processing side of things (frankly Im stunned by how good the imported NEF files look in capture 1 compared to LR and Aperture).  Im still trying to get a handle on importing and the differences between catalogs and collections, but I am really liking what I see so far with that program.

Downside so far is no integration of NIK software, and some features that I got used to in Aperture are not in C1 (such showing where the focus points are).

What are other Aperture users here going to switch to?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Capture 1?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:50:25 pm »

I am in the same situation as you. There is a post today from another guy in the same boat in the CaptureOne Section asking if some fairly basic things that Aperture does can be done in C1 and the answers made me decide to keep Aperture for a while longer yet.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 09:49:54 pm »

I've been using Aperture for several years now, and since APple will no longer be supporting ( >:(), I am now in the process of evaluating LR and C1 Pro as alternatives.

So far, C1 Pro seems to be coming out ahead in all areas from the management side of things to also the raw processing side of things (frankly Im stunned by how good the imported NEF files look in capture 1 compared to LR and Aperture).  Im still trying to get a handle on importing and the differences between catalogs and collections, but I am really liking what I see so far with that program.

Downside so far is no integration of NIK software, and some features that I got used to in Aperture are not in C1 (such showing where the focus points are).

What are other Aperture users here going to switch to?

The way C1 works with NIK or any other editor is pretty easy.

Just right click on the photo,  pick "Edit With".

Once thats open, just Click "Open With" at the bottom.

If your third part app isn't on the list, you can find it by clicking "other".

Remember there are some settings you may want to change at the top, like whether you want it to be a Tiff or Jpeg.

I just tried it with Silver Efex Pro and it converted the RAW to a Tiff and opened it up in SEP. I made some adjustments then saved.

The adjusted file appeared in C1.

If you want to open the RAW file in another Raw convertor, right click and pick "Open With".

I hope that helps.

Jimmy

EugeneN4

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 02:59:02 am »

The way C1 works with NIK or any other editor is pretty easy.

Just right click on the photo,  pick "Edit With".

Once thats open, just Click "Open With" at the bottom.

If your third part app isn't on the list, you can find it by clicking "other".

Remember there are some settings you may want to change at the top, like whether you want it to be a Tiff or Jpeg.

I just tried it with Silver Efex Pro and it converted the RAW to a Tiff and opened it up in SEP. I made some adjustments then saved.

The adjusted file appeared in C1.

If you want to open the RAW file in another Raw convertor, right click and pick "Open With".

I hope that helps.

Jimmy

Thanks for the tips, Jimmy. I had some troubles before I see you your post, you take away my headache ;P

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 07:49:51 am »

Thanks for the tips, Jimmy. I had some troubles before I see you your post, you take away my headache ;P

I wish my wife felt the same.

bobtrlin

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »

frankly Im stunned by how good the imported NEF files look in capture 1 compared to LR and Aperture
Be careful with what you are looking at.  It's one thing to convert raws to look stunning and another to convert them faithfully.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 05:44:16 am »

Be careful with what you are looking at.  It's one thing to convert raws to look stunning and another to convert them faithfully.

While true, Capture One is highly customizable. It's useful to apply your customary "Style" settings as a default when opening files. Many of the control panels can also have their defaults changed.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Moritz

• Moritz Schmittat Wedding Photographer
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:34:17 am »

This is not a real landscape photography questions but I thought maybe someone can advice. I'm shooting a lot of portraits tethered into lightroom. The clients love the fact that they can see their photos instantly on a big screen. I'm shooting in 50mp on a 5Ds and those files are huge which means it take about 2-3s per image to appear in LR. So when you take 10 pictures quickly it can become annoying....

I've heard that Capture One is faster shooting tethered. Does anybody have any experience with this by any chance?
Thanks
Learning with every shot I take.
Surrey Wedding Photographer

bobtrlin

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 05:01:13 pm »

LR is undoubtedly a great piece of software.  I've used it for years.  However, be aware that Adobe are moving to a fully subscription model which had pissed off many long time users.  Some have already switched to Capture One because of that.  However, switching is no easy task.  One would hope that all your image enhancements, metadata, directory structures, keyword hierarchies could be transported but this may not be the case.  Also, there are risks that one wrong click could mean the loss of hundreds of man-hours of PP.  Software writers have no incentive to make it easy to switch systems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up