Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting in the Rain  (Read 2282 times)

dwswager

Shooting in the Rain
« on: April 19, 2015, 09:24:39 am »

We all know moisture from rain and humidity can be severely damaging to almost all photographic equipment, especially electronics and optics.  But that does not mean you can't shoot confidently in wet weather.  I've read numerous posts from people deathly afraid to take their gear out in the rain.  Most good equipment isn't near as fragile as people think.  You just need to take some precautions and then spend some effort afterwards drying everything out effectively.

Our area has been hit with tremdous wet weather over the last month or so.  A local high school soccer match between cross town rivals was recently moved from the city stadium (grass) to a turf field at the away team's school facility it has gotten so bad.  Yet the D810 and 70-200mm f/2.8 weren't phased to be out.

My recommendations include choosing your gear wisely.  Most professional level gear is weather and dust sealed.  Most consumer gear is not.  Enthusiast level stuff tends to be sealed at least to some lesser extent than the professional.  Find out and select wisely.

I don't own a premium rain cover for my camera/lenses.  I use inexpensive Optech sleeves that run about $5 for 2.  If you are out for long periods or don't have the abiity to get back into low humidity envronments immediately after a rain shoot, the better covers like ThinkTank stuff seems a wiser choice.

Wipe down and air out your wet equipment as soon as possible and for longer than you think in a low humidity environment.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:27:08 am by dwswager »

stever

Re: Shooting in the Rain
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:53:32 am »

I've tried the more expensive rain covers and end up using the op-tech covers because they're so much less cumbersome on the camera and are so compact there's no excuse for not having one in your bag or pocket when you need it.

also carry a small microfiber towel to wipe down equipment and the UV filter i use when it's wet or dusty

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 03:50:06 am »

Rain cover? 1 series don't need no stinkin' rain cover!

Last pic (78) in this gallery.

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/national/clique/sydney-storm-photos-as-wild-weather-rolls-in-20150420-1mpfhb.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 04:38:52 am by phila »

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:23:38 am »

Any of these your photos, phila?
I have to say, I chuckled a bit at the photographer (16) braving the waves. The couple with the three dogs seem characteristic - exhausted, drinking a beer. Sympathies to everyone who has been affected by this.

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 09:37:54 am »

Rain cover? 1 series don't need no stinkin' rain cover!

Last pic (78) in this gallery.

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/national/clique/sydney-storm-photos-as-wild-weather-rolls-in-20150420-1mpfhb.html

That is so wrong to do to a camera...even a Canon!  ;)  But that is some of what $7000 is buying.

I started this because I've seen so many people either afraid to take their camera out or advising to people to keep the good (expensive and weather sealed) camera at home and use a lesser camera in bad weather.  That is the exact opposite of what I advise. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:36:30 pm by dwswager »

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 04:27:25 am »

Any of these your photos, phila?
I have to say, I chuckled a bit at the photographer (16) braving the waves. The couple with the three dogs seem characteristic - exhausted, drinking a beer. Sympathies to everyone who has been affected by this.

No, none of mine. My location shoot for Tuesday was postponed though, strangely enough!

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:40:09 pm »

Half the problem is the rain. The other half is condensation on cold rainy days (all rainy days are cold in Oregon). I keep a heat pack in my camera bag so my lenses are always warmer than ambient air when I pull them out.

muntanela

• BRATA
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:28:08 am by muntanela »

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 11:39:53 am »

Ah, a goatskin (chamois). I use one after a car wash or around the house to dry clean items. Can't beat them for absorbency. Microfiber is a bit lighter dry, but probably heavier wet and wrung out than a similar size chamois.

Goat stew or curry is pretty good. Tastes like yearling lamb or mutton. Goat cheese is good too.

The other photographic use for a live goat is as a small pack animal. Someone in the Rocky Mountains hires out trained goats.

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 12:23:32 pm »

Can't beat them for absorbency.

Diapers (both readily available and practical) -- "The superabsorbent material, also known as polyacrylate absorbents, is part of a family of polymers that have extraordinary absorbency. … the superabsorber is dry and granular, but forms a gel as it absorbs liquid. In fact, it can retain up to 30 times its weight in liquid, locking it away to help prevent re-wetting …"
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:40:49 pm by Isaac »

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 01:23:51 pm »

But that does not mean you can't shoot confidently in wet weather.

My not weather-sealed consumer camera has survived a couple of outings in the rain, wrapped in no more than a ziploc freezer bag (with corner cut-out for the lens, secured by an elastic hair band over the lens-hood).

But I'm not used to handling a camera inside a plastic bag, so it's awkward - I check-less and mess-up more.

Having someone with you to hold a big umbrella would certainly help :-)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:04:01 pm by Isaac »

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 01:25:35 pm »

I only use weather and dust sealed lenses and camera bodies. If I'm shooting all day long in constant rain (Tongass National Forest comes to mind), I use a rain cover. If I'm a short walk from a vehicle or in a passing shower I don't use anything but a lens hood to keep water off of the front element. With telephotos it's not an issue since the hoods range from a couple inches to over 8" long. Some wide angle lenses need help, and it's hard to use anything other than an umbrella without getting part of it into the photo, especially if there's any wind. I liked the older style lens hoods as the "petal" style hoods are far less effective for rain protection. Afterward I dry everything off and never had any sort of a problem, even when the equipment was literally dripping wet for a significant period of time. I've always used microfiber cloths, but I'll have to look into chamois and diapers!

Fogging is a far worse problem. Canon makes anti-fogging eyepieces that are very effective and I assume Nikon does as well. But all one can do about lenses is keep them warmer than the ambient air temperature. In hot tropical rainforest environments equipment can fog even when it is kept in a non-air conditioned environment because the dew point is often only a couple degrees below ambient air temperature.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:27:38 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean
Pages: [1]   Go Up