Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem Mounting Canson Platine Coated with Desert Varnish on Gatorboard  (Read 784 times)

stockjock

I sent out a photo printed on Canson Platine that had been coated with multiple coats of Moab Desert Varnish (presumably the same or similar product as Premier Printshield) to be mounted on Gatorboard by the local framing shop.  I believe they mounted the print to the Gatorboard first and then tried to cut the border off the mounted print.  When they did that they ended up with sort of a ragged or cracked white edge in places along the cut.  They blamed that on the coating pulling the pigment off the paper as it was cut. 

Does anybody have any experience with this and know whether or not that is typical or how to prevent it?

framah

Personally, i think it should have been coated AFTER it was mounted.  Tho they could have been a bit more careful when cutting, I agree that the coatings were thick enough to pull the ink off.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

elolaugesen

Or dull blade.

Done this many times.  Always score the image lightly to get thru the canvas/paper.

Then cut the gator board on second run as it is much much harder to cut. 

Then throw the blade away.

Cheers elo

deanwork

Yea, does sound like a dull blade. I've had some large prints made on this Platine which was sprayed with Hah Protective Spray then mounted to diabond recently by two different labs and all was cool with those.
Pages: [1]   Go Up