Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HY6 3d printed adapter  (Read 1307 times)

bpepz

HY6 3d printed adapter
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:52:26 pm »

As many of you here in the forums have probably noticed, it is next to impossible to find a decently priced digital back that can fit on a HY6 body.

The only real option I see is making a custom solution to adapt backs with other mounts to it. Namely,the H3D series backs, they are relatively modern, they are extremely cheap, and the H mount is easy to work with.

I've got some ideas on how to get it all to fit and still retain infinity focus, it will revolve around unscrewing parts of the mount and some unsightly 3d printing to hold it all together.

Before I go through all that trouble though, the main thing that I need to know is how to sync the back with the HY6 body. I don't have a HY6 body to work with, so maybe someone here could help me out. My idea depends on there being something like a flash sync port on the HY6 or the lens that will trigger the back. It would work exactly like shooting an RZ67 with cables. I just don't know if it would work, maybe there is some kind of screwy delay, or some messed up signal like on the fuji gx680.  As long as I can confirm it will sync up, mechanically coupling the back and the body and getting the right focus should be doable. It will be far from a elegant solution, but I am willing to put up with it. I will be sure to share my findings with the community.

ced

Re: HY6 3d printed adapter
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:05:49 am »

Now you know why there aren't any decently priced...

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 12:58:05 pm »

I've got both a Hy6 body and digital backs for it - I guess the AFi-ii 7 that I have listed for sale at $7500 is too expensive?  But the level of integration that Leaf did with the AFi was amazing.  I mean you can see a histogram of the exposure in the grip display on the camera. I don't think any camera and digital back has been better integrated before or after.   The rotating sensor is just icing on the cake!   I can't imagine wanting to just connect a back with a sync cable. 

But on the other side of the coin, I'm supportive of anyone working on projects like this. And I have at least a few things you'll need such as the metal pins/prongs that are used to attach the film backs and digital backs to the camera body.

The camera communicates via a set of contacts on the back side that are spring loaded.  I'm pretty sure you could make yourself a small connector that could take that simple information such as sync without the need for a cable, but there is also a standard serial communication protocol there too.
Rolleiflex USA

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 01:31:01 pm »

I would be curious how this works out.  Keep us posted. 

Even if you can make an adapted to just register the exposure, that would be cool.  No metadata is really needed IMO. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

bpepz

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 12:20:47 pm »

I've got both a Hy6 body and digital backs for it - I guess the AFi-ii 7 that I have listed for sale at $7500 is too expensive?  But the level of integration that Leaf did with the AFi was amazing.  I mean you can see a histogram of the exposure in the grip display on the camera. I don't think any camera and digital back has been better integrated before or after.   The rotating sensor is just icing on the cake!   I can't imagine wanting to just connect a back with a sync cable.  

But on the other side of the coin, I'm supportive of anyone working on projects like this. And I have at least a few things you'll need such as the metal pins/prongs that are used to attach the film backs and digital backs to the camera body.

The camera communicates via a set of contacts on the back side that are spring loaded.  I'm pretty sure you could make yourself a small connector that could take that simple information such as sync without the need for a cable, but there is also a standard serial communication protocol there too.

Thanks for the information! However I am not too confident in my soldering skills for the pins/contacts. Also, since I plan on using Hasselblad H3D backs, I am not sure there is anything that is compatible. I just want to get something that can take a picture. Afterwards I can worry about focus registration, and then maybe hire someone to see about pin integration. Would be a dream come true to get all of it perfect, but so far I just want to take baby steps.

As for the $7500 price, it is probably a good deal for a leaf afi-ii 7 back, but these days you can get a h3dii-39 back and body for 4k or less, so for most people the h3d backs would be a really attractive option to use on the hy6.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 12:25:35 pm by bpepz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up