Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frozen Arca Swiss B1 Ballhead  (Read 1935 times)

John Hollenberg

Frozen Arca Swiss B1 Ballhead
« on: April 17, 2015, 02:38:40 pm »

I borrowed this ballhead from one friend for another friend to use on our photo trip to New Mexico (leave in 2 hours).  I tightened the main knob a little--not hard--to check the ballhead, and now it is frozen.  Ballhead moved fine before tightening.  I have had the same ballhead for 10 years and never experience the dreaded lockup.  Tried the advice here, but no help:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/arca-swiss-lockup-fix.html

The main knob turns freely, as does the thumbscrew on the main knob.

Any other tricks to get the ballhead unfrozen, or is this going to be a repair job?  Any guess on cost if it needs to be repaired?

Thanks.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Frozen Arca Swiss B1 Ballhead
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 03:24:34 pm »

If the trick you already tried did not work, then I would send it off.  I have a B2 and it's done this 2x in 14 years.  I don't is much anymore.

Precision Camera works in chicago IL can fix this quickly and I believe it's under 100.00.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

John Hollenberg

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »

If the trick you already tried did not work, then I would send it off.  I have a B2 and it's done this 2x in 14 years.  I don't is much anymore.

Precision Camera works in chicago IL can fix this quickly and I believe it's under 100.00.

Thanks. That is what I figured.  Fortunately, I was able to get ahold of my friend before she left so she can bring her own B1 ballhead.  We were borrowing a lighter tripod for her (Gitzo 1227 I think), and the ballhead came with it.  I also found an Acra Tech ballhead I have lying around which will work in a pinch.  Do you know if the fix involves replacing a part so the problem is less likely to  happen in the near future?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 04:09:29 pm »

As I recall on the first repair there was a replacement, it was still under warranty.  The 2nd time, I dropped it while mounted to a RRS tripod and the ball locked.  Precision just freed it up with no parts and only charged me around 50.00 and that included shipping.  I was a bit hard on that head!  Used the heck out of it. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:17:04 pm »

I borrowed this ballhead from one friend for another friend to use on our photo trip to New Mexico (leave in 2 hours).  I tightened the main knob a little--not hard--to check the ballhead, and now it is frozen.  Ballhead moved fine before tightening.  I have had the same ballhead for 10 years and never experience the dreaded lockup.  Tried the advice here, but no help:

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/arca-swiss-lockup-fix.html

The main knob turns freely, as does the thumbscrew on the main knob.

Any other tricks to get the ballhead unfrozen, or is this going to be a repair job?  Any guess on cost if it needs to be repaired?

Thanks.

Been using a B1 for 15 or 20 years (I have the one where the clamp cannot be replaced).  When you say the main knob spins freely, it will keep turning forever (many rotations)?  That would tell me something is stripped or broken.  Mine locks up about once every 5 years, when you lease expect it, but the standard force fix and backing off the tension knob always works.

Sheldon N

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 10:26:03 am »

Any helpful info here?

http://www.precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/monoball_core.html

These are the guys who you'd want to repair it, if you needed to send it to someone.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up