Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: adjustment brush vibrance  (Read 3532 times)

VidJa

adjustment brush vibrance
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:18:05 pm »

With the global development sliders in LR you can adjust the vibrance of an image. I'm using this often to tone down colors. However, I find this method impossible to use with the local adjustment brush. It has only the contrast and saturation slider.

I tried to put vibrance at say -30 and then use the local adjustment to increase color locally again, but I never achieve a desired end result.

How can I achieve a toned down background but leave part if the image at its original saturation, for instance the rosehip in the attachment? Or should I go to photoshop for that. (I've thought of merging two lightroom renders and mask out the part I want to stay at its original saturation)
(i'm using the LR & PS CC suite)

aduke

Re: adjustment brush vibrance
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 05:00:24 pm »

I just tried your procedure on one of my images and found, as you did, that the adjustment brush saturation could not restore all of the saturation removed by the basic vibrance slider.

My solution was to do the inverse of your procedure. I defined the adjustment brush to cover the entire image except for the area that I wanted the full saturation by masking the entire image and erasing the part of the mask covering the full-saturation subject. This proved to be reasonably simple and very effective and controllable.

Alan

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 05:46:25 pm »

You can try adding a duplicate of the adjustment brush which should allow you to make further adjustments. right click the adjustment brush pin to get a contextual menu which allows you to duplicate it..  This means the second brush will continue to affect saturation/vibrance.  I’ve seen an example of someone trying to take all the color out with an adjustment brush to remove saturation and it didn’t quite get it to full grey scale, but duplicating the brush did.

but I’m with Alan on this ... seems a simpler way to accomplish what it appears you are trying to do.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:06:14 pm by Wayne Fox »

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:06 am »

I too would like a vibrance slider in the adjustment brush.  Who do we have to bribe to make this happen??

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 04:38:46 am »

I too would like a vibrance slider in the adjustment brush.  Who do we have to bribe to make this happen??
We've been requesting that the adjustment brush has the same tonal adjustment options as are available in the global controls since day one. Maybe Adobe will add that to V6 ? or not

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 07:22:46 am »

Thanks for that.  I had a play and that info seems spot on.

jarnoh

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 05:56:25 pm »

Yes, Lightroom's local "saturation" is vibrance with positive values, but the negative values its not actually same as saturation slider either.  The algorithm used is same as in HSL saturation, which gives you slightly different results.

(I've been doing some tests in http://capturemonkey.com/many-ways-to-desaturate-in-photoshop to figure out all the algorithms used)

Pages: [1]   Go Up