Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Man,am I chuffed!  (Read 441 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Man,am I chuffed!
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:27:40 pm »

I just have to get this off my chest. I "inherited" two lovely original watercolors done by a now-deceased jazz pianist. They were in unattractive metal frames so I decided to take them out of those frames and redo the entire assembly. What do I discover? The paintings are attached to a piece of ordinary cardboard backing with double-sided tape and masking tape, and I don't think I can get them off without damage. Aargh!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Man,am I chuffed!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:43:13 pm »

Who do you want us to critique? The pianist, the paintings or you? ;)

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:23:36 am »

The good news is that watercolors photograph really well. I used to own/operate a fine art repro business. If you have a FF camera, two lights, a color-managed workflow, hot press or cold press paper, and a pigment printer, you can make a copy that will look as good as the day the paint dried. After all, it's all about the image. Too bad the originals were not properly framed.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 02:55:09 am »

How you go about treating the watercolors depends largely on the identity Jazz Pianist?

Peter

spidermike

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 03:03:20 am »

I was a bit puzzled at first - over this side of the pond being 'chuffed' means you are pleased and I was trying to work out what had gone so right. Separated by a common language and all that   :-\

I would be tempted by Bob's suggeston to have them photographed and you keep the originals secure as they are. Otherwise it sounds like a job for a professional restorer (or at elast advice from one).

I hope you sort it out
Pages: [1]   Go Up