Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Monitor for on set image reviewing on Canon DSLR  (Read 3434 times)

bjanes

Re: Small Monitor for on set image reviewing on Canon DSLR
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 12:50:53 pm »

The Camranger is another solution that allows wi-fi tethering and can be used with iOS and android devices. If you set the camera to record both raw and JPEG, only the JPEG is uploaded to the device for preview. With Nikon, one can use JPEG fine, normal, or basic (1:4, 1:8, or 1:16 compression respectively) to decrease the upload time. The Camranger software is well done and offers focus peaking and other features.
Bill

I wasn't aware of HDMI input adapters, I've stopped keeping up with tablets. What software is required on the device to display the HDMI stream?

That is the problem with most of these solutions. Why does the entire file (even jpg) need to be transferred to the device for preview? I might shoot 60 frames for one look, I really don't want to wait for all those D800E files to make it over to review them with my team when my camera can already display them instantly and then delete the files. Totally wasteful when the camera has done all the hard work already.

With the Camranger, there are options to control what is uploaded to the iPad. With Auto-View the images are automatically uploaded and displayed as they are taken. With Auto-Save the images are automatically uploaded and saved to the iOS photo library, FTP server, or Dropbox. With Auto-Thumbnails thumbnails of captured images are automatically displayed. All of these features can easily be turned on or off. These features should address your concerns should you use Camranger.

Bill

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 01:19:31 pm »

Camranger has been bulletproof for me.  I was put off by the price initially, but after using it I'm extremely satisfied.

True that you have to download the whole file to see 100% (post-capture - can be raw or jpg).  During live view however, you can zoom in to 100% instantly.

GregShapps

• http://www.shappsphotography.com
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:46 pm »

I use the Cam Ranger on location and its bullet proof for 3 years now.   But in the studio I use just some 22" tv from Costco connected to my A7r via HDMI and that works perfectly.

dwswager

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2015, 06:13:31 pm »

Connect your camera to your iPad

Google is your friend!  Put "connecting camera to a tablet site:youtube.com" and you will find a bunch of videos both Ipad and Android tablets.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up