Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Monitor for on set image reviewing on Canon DSLR  (Read 3436 times)

billy

Small Monitor for on set image reviewing on Canon DSLR
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:13:26 pm »

I would like to shoot a Canon 5dmk3 and then review the images on a small monitor, could be an iPad or wireless device, or it could be plugged into camera ( AV out? ). What is a simple solution for this? I do not need to store the data on the device / monitor, just be able to review the images ( stills). I do not need to edit or zoom in (although that would be handy to check focus ). Just looking  for something cheap and at least 7 inches wide.

dwswager

Re: Small Monitor for on set image reviewing on Canon DSLR
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 04:35:23 pm »

I would like to shoot a Canon 5dmk3 and then review the images on a small monitor, could be an iPad or wireless device, or it could be plugged into camera ( AV out? ). What is a simple solution for this? I do not need to store the data on the device / monitor, just be able to review the images ( stills). I do not need to edit or zoom in (although that would be handy to check focus ). Just looking  for something cheap and at least 7 inches wide.

First, is color/tone calibration an issue?  If so, then whole different ball game.

I will assume you want real time review.  That is, shoot the shot and be able to then look at the monitor to see it or even to be in live view and have the live view displayed on the tablet.

If you are just looking for composition, focus, DOF etc. then even HDMI out to a tablet would work.  I don't have a 5DmkIII so I assume it has HDMI out.  I use Helicon Remote from both an Android tablet and smartphone with my Nikons.  You can drive the camera with it and there is an option to save to either the camera or the tablet.  This is not really real time as you then have to open the file to view it.

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 04:56:08 pm »

Not sure what your definition of cheap is, but I've done a lot of interviews on the Canon 5D3 using the HDMI out with a SmallHD 7.7" AC7 HDMI-OLED monitor. It has a lot of bells and whistles, uses the Canon 5d3 batteries, and you can zoom in on the monitor to nail focus. The colors are lovely on this unit, which goes for about $900.

http://store.smallhd.com/store/AC7-HDMI-OLED-Field-Monitor

I would also look at Ikan monitors. They tend to be a less expensive.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:59:28 pm by Dshelly »

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 12:59:34 am »

Depending on what cheap is again is the key.  When I shoot video interviews I use a Dynex flat screen TV with an HDMI input.  It is cheap, probably cost around a hundred dollars.  It works great for framing and monitoring lighting.  It is light weight, easy to carry and if something happens to it, I'm not out a huge amount of money.  I used to use Sony seven inch field monitors that were just under a thousand dollars each.  Another plus for the cheap flat screen is it takes 12 volt D.C. and I have a cable that will power the monitor from a car accessory (formerly know as the cigarette lighter) socket.

spidermike

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 02:58:27 am »

The cheapest way would be to get an Android device and then load up DSLR controller app. This enables you to shoot 'tethered' just like you would with a regular computer, and you can fully control the camera from the Android as well as review images
http://dslrcontroller.com/
And it's free.

There is even a work around to do it wirelessly
http://dslrcontroller.com/guide-wifi_stick.php

If you just want to view them, the simplest is to shoot with a micro-SD card in an SD adapter then plug the micro SD card into an Android device. If you want full CF card functionality this may help - it is largely about using Android to back up to a hard drive but about hlaf way down it also shows the set-up for attaching a CF reader and viewing the images:
http://petapixel.com/2013/03/26/how-to-back-up-your-pictures-using-an-android-tablet-and-external-hard-drives/

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 06:41:01 am »

Maybe an Eyefi card is enough?

Also, The 6D can be controlled via wifi and an app, but maybe the 5D3 cannot?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MarkL

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 08:15:02 am »

Tablets have been out how long and I’m STILL looking for a good solution for this - it doesn’t even have to be wireless! Almost every solution involves transferring the entire file to the device when all I want it to use it as a dumb screen and have the camera do the work. Video monitors work but at very high expense and low resolution. The problem is that tablets are designed to be internet content consumption devices and lack useful connections like HDMI in.

spidermike

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 08:50:54 am »

This link shows a way to load USB driver to Android (this is on my 'to-do' list), but I know that a couple of years ago not all Android drivers had the necessary kernel to complete this: maybe time has moved on and more devices permit it

http://www.any-data-recovery.com/topics/android/how-to-install-android-usb-driver.html

Conner999

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 08:56:05 am »

I use an iPad mini via Air Display when shooting tethered to a laptop so I can see what assistant sees on laptop, but need to watch it. The contrast and saturation on the iPad, due in part to glossy screen,  will be far different  (stronger) than actual capture- an issue if ensuring against veiling flare when using white seamless.  Only good for composition, etc. Looking for better solution myself. May even run cheaper second profiled laptop via air display.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:05:14 am by Conner999 »

bjanes

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 08:57:54 am »

Tablets have been out how long and I’m STILL looking for a good solution for this - it doesn’t even have to be wireless! Almost every solution involves transferring the entire file to the device when all I want it to use it as a dumb screen and have the camera do the work. Video monitors work but at very high expense and low resolution. The problem is that tablets are designed to be internet content consumption devices and lack useful connections like HDMI in.

The Camranger is another solution that allows wi-fi tethering and can be used with iOS and android devices. If you set the camera to record both raw and JPEG, only the JPEG is uploaded to the device for preview. With Nikon, one can use JPEG fine, normal, or basic (1:4, 1:8, or 1:16 compression respectively) to decrease the upload time. The Camranger software is well done and offers focus peaking and other features.

Bill

billy

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 09:38:43 am »

Thanks for all the replies. At this point I am leaning towards a monitor that I can attach with hdmi cable and bypass all the pain of wifi set ups. Leaning toward an IKAN monitor as recommended by DShelly. I just need decent color / tonal exposure, check focus, composition. I do not need to store the data, just review it with AD. Hoping to spend a couple hundred bucks at the most.

dwswager

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 10:07:52 am »

... Almost every solution involves transferring the entire file to the device when all I want it to use it as a dumb screen and have the camera do the work. Video monitors work but at very high expense and low resolution. The problem is that tablets are designed to be internet content consumption devices and lack useful connections like HDMI in.

Huh?  Even iPads have HDMI input through an adapter if I'm not mistaken.  My Samsung Smartphone does (Galaxy Note II)

bjanes

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 11:04:56 am »

Huh?  Even iPads have HDMI input through an adapter if I'm not mistaken.  My Samsung Smartphone does (Galaxy Note II)

Such adapters as you show are available for the MacBook, but my iPad (approximately 18 months old) has absolutely no ports and wi-fi is the only means of communication available. Android tablets do have USB and other ports.

Bill

spidermike

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 11:32:57 am »

True. Apple decided that their customers cannot be trusted and want to contol what they plug into, and load onto, their tablets.

MarkL

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 05:23:49 pm »

I wasn't aware of HDMI input adapters, I've stopped keeping up with tablets. What software is required on the device to display the HDMI stream?

The Camranger is another solution that allows wi-fi tethering and can be used with iOS and android devices. If you set the camera to record both raw and JPEG, only the JPEG is uploaded to the device for preview. With Nikon, one can use JPEG fine, normal, or basic (1:4, 1:8, or 1:16 compression respectively) to decrease the upload time. The Camranger software is well done and offers focus peaking and other features.

Bill

That is the problem with most of these solutions. Why does the entire file (even jpg) need to be transferred to the device for preview? I might shoot 60 frames for one look, I really don't want to wait for all those D800E files to make it over to review them with my team when my camera can already display them instantly and then delete the files. Totally wasteful when the camera has done all the hard work already.

eronald

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 07:53:09 pm »

The 5D3 has an HDMI output. Just connect a small battery driven monitor to that port.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

eronald

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 12:34:40 am »

Actually there's a bunch of adapter devices from cheap to expensive that do HDMI wireless relay eg. to a TV.

Edmund

dwswager

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 08:54:37 am »

Such adapters as you show are available for the MacBook, but my iPad (approximately 18 months old) has absolutely no ports and wi-fi is the only means of communication available. Android tablets do have USB and other ports.

Bill

I give you the Apple Digital AV Adapter (MD098ZM/A) which I believe is the model my wife uses on her Ipad 2.

I agree, you are better off with an Android or Windows tablet as there is more functionality the manufacturers have not locked users out of using.

bjanes

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 09:37:14 am »

I give you the Apple Digital AV Adapter (MD098ZM/A) which I believe is the model my wife uses on her Ipad 2.

I agree, you are better off with an Android or Windows tablet as there is more functionality the manufacturers have not locked users out of using.

Thanks for the info and I stand corrected. I have a 4th generation iPad and this is the HDMI adapter for my iPad. The beauty of this forum is the wealth of information available from knowledgable forum members.

Regards,

Bill

billy

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 11:11:10 am »

This might work for me. so if i plugged this into my iPhone 6+, would I open up an App to view the photos? Or does plugging the hdmi cable automatically turn my phone into a monitor that sees exactly what my camera LCD sees?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up