Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much drying time before coating?  (Read 860 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
How much drying time before coating?
« on: April 15, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »

I printed a matte canvas and would like to know the minimum drying time before I can spray it?
Mike

Landscapes

Re: How much drying time before coating?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »

Honestly.. I wait about 10 minutes.  I know lots of people in here think it takes more time, but I just don't see why.  I use a Canon, so perhaps these inks don't outgas as much, but the big thing with canvas is that it can still outgas from the back.  I put on 3 coats, maybe 5-10 minutes apart and after about 30 mins from the last coat, the canvas is pretty much dry.  I wouldn't roll it up mind you at this point, I would let it dry overnight, but its perfectly fine to touch and move it at this point and even stretch it.  I spray with a mix of matte and gloss timeless.

I seriously don't understand all the issues people have with canvas and spraying.  The fact that my ratio of matte to gloss is 4:1 makes spraying easy as the lack of reflections of the surface makes you not have to be as careful when spraying, so if going with full gloss, there certainly are issues there, but other than this, spraying canvas is quite easy.  I don't have a fancy gun either, just the Wagnar HVLP.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:14:05 pm »

I can’t specifically report on Canvas, but for both Epson and Canon dye based inks on paper like Luster or Glossy, the dE values are very large within the first how of dry down (up to dE of 10), much smaller after the first hour and 24 hours later. Pigmented inks are not quite as bad. I’d let the prints dry down over night if possible.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 06:41:37 pm »

On Epson,

Matte I wait 24 hours, as I have seen strange outgassing issues with Timeless if I coat sooner.

Glossy--(when I coat) I wait about 30 minutes, never had any issues. 

Note, Glossy is 100% Crystalline,  Matte, is mixture of Lyve and 800M depending on customer.  I only use Timeless on both types.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Zeon

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:28:25 pm »

Follow the manufacturer's recommendations. In many cases the drying time is 24 hours (depending on the weather conditions). I have also noticed that the ambient temperature can affect the drying time. I never attempt to stretch a canvas when the room temperature is below 70 degrees or so as the canvas becomes noticeably stiffer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up