Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LuLa Needs to Start Editing/Proof Reading Articles Prior to Publication  (Read 4332 times)

Steve House

Re: LuLa Needs to Start Editing/Proof Reading Articles Prior to Publication
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 11:50:38 am »

And yes, I learned to type in the late 60’s and double spacing after a period remains a habit I will most likely never break, and visually I’ve never had any issue with it. Sorry it annoys some so much ... (mmmm, I wonder why my spell/grammar checker doesn’t correct it?  Maybe the computer can figure out how to make up for this bad habit)
Don't know what checker you use but with MS Word, the number of spaces between sentences is a check that can be enabled in the proofing options settings.  The default is 'Do Not Check' but it can be enabled so as to require either 1 space or 2 spaces.  Other punctuation checks that can be enabled include whether a comma is required preceding the last item in a list ('apples, pears, and cherries' versus 'apples, pears and cherries') and whether punctuation goes inside or outside of closing quotes.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 12:26:17 pm »

And let's face it, there is nothing on LuLa that is really time-sensitive, so the argument that "we can't take time to proofread and correct" rings pretty hollow.
I suspect Kevin, Michael and some readers here would disagree but it’s not worth the debate.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

AlfSollund

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 01:20:30 pm »

Content with good presentation - always. Story and message with proper grammar - always.

Think of a photograph as an analogy to an article. The content and message of the story correspond to the subject matter of the photo. The presentation and grammar of the story correspond to the technical aspects of the photo. Given the enormous amount of interest and energy here on LuLa devoted to the technical aspects of photography, is anyone going to seriously claim that the "technical" aspects of a written piece don't matter?

And let's face it, there is nothing on LuLa that is really time-sensitive, so the argument that "we can't take time to proofread and correct" rings pretty hollow.

As with all other deliveries producing content is a matter of resourses to do the job. These resources will allways be limitied. Anyone claiming different havent been trying to publish. So the discussion is what to prioritize. Some prefer style before content. Thats a matter of taste.

Everyting that currently is subject to Internet publishing is time-sensitive. So any argument "we can't take time to proofread and correct" is stating less published content with a more glossy style. I'm a naysayer to style before content. Sorry to break any illusions, there is still no free lunch.
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2015, 01:32:37 pm »

Brad, English has a capital E.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

BradSmith

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 01:53:28 pm »

Brad, English has a capital E.

Cheers,

You are quite correct, and the fact that I made this mistake proves the value of having someone proofread (articles) prior to publishing.   All I'm suggesting is that with a site that receives over 1 million visits per month, with the wonderful content that it delivers, several minutes spent checking spelling and grammar two or three times a week when a new article is to be published is warranted.  Admittedly the specific article that prompted my initial post would have needed more time for editing to improve the clarity of the contents.  But as Kevin seemed to indicate in his response, he recognized that this is needed/warranted.  

If Kevin, Michael and Chris hadn't believed that professional presentation was important, why would they have spent the hundreds/thousands of hours (and $) reworking the site?
Brad
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:48:13 pm by BradSmith »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 02:32:10 pm »

This all leads to a sentence where all the words are correct, no typos, even the grammar might be fine, yet hard to comprehend. Me thinks.

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously", for example.

Jeremy

Steve House

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 04:46:30 pm »

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously", for example.

Jeremy
  ROFL Not to put too fine a point on it but the comma goes inside the quotes.

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously," for example.

Paul Gessler

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2015, 05:52:52 pm »

Not to put a finer point on it, but it depends on if you subscribe to the conventions of American English or British English. http://www.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2011/may/19/mind-your-language-punctuation-quotations

BradSmith

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2015, 11:53:28 pm »

As Michael or Kevin sometimes say......I think this topic has run its course. Let's move on.
Brad
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up