Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: LuLa Needs to Start Editing/Proof Reading Articles Prior to Publication  (Read 4348 times)

BradSmith

I've noticed an increase in spelling and grammar errors in published articles.  And the current article, obviously written by a non-native english speaking author, is actually difficult to understand because of the clarity of expression.  I'm not blaming the author.  I think it is the site management's responsibility to be sure that published writing is free of such problems.   I don't think it possibly could have been "edited" by Kevin, Chris or Michael.  Given the massive effort that has gone into the makeover of the web site, it definitely deserves "quality control" effort on the writing contained in the articles.

Brad 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

I vollunter to fex all them mixtakes in da artickale as I’m dyslecic  ::)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber

Message received. We are traveling and will revisit the article tonight when we are at a hotel with Internet.  We will do a better job going forward.
Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com

Message received. We are traveling and will revisit the article tonight when we are at a hotel with Internet.  We will do a better job going forward.
Kevin Raber
Just how many websites do you know that would respond so quickly and so positively?  Good job, Kevin!!

BradSmith

Kevin,
Thanks for the extremely rapid and positive response.  This type of attitude is one of the reasons I love this site.
Brad

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald

I've noticed an increase in spelling and grammar errors in published articles.  And the current article, obviously written by a non-native english speaking author, is actually difficult to understand because of the clarity of expression.  I'm not blaming the author.  I think it is the site management's responsibility to be sure that published writing is free of such problems.   I don't think it possibly could have been "edited" by Kevin, Chris or Michael.  Given the massive effort that has gone into the makeover of the web site, it definitely deserves "quality control" effort on the writing contained in the articles.

Brad 

I've always thought of the typos and grammar gaffs on the LuLa main site as a long-time trade mark of the site. It's a testament to the quality of the information that LuLa is still as popular as it is. (Not to be picky, but I wonder if the OP notices his double-space after each period/full stop.) ;)
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com

(Not to be picky, but I wonder if the OP notices his double-space after each period/full stop.) ;)

If you had a typing class in the USA back in the 1960's or 1970's you were taught to always double space after a period.  So those of us that went through the educational system back then still do that out of habit.  It is just as natural to us as a single space is to you ;)

bernie west

• Wild Photo Australia

Kids these days don't even use punctuation.  We should ban its use in the new iPhone forum...   ;D

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com

I’ve really never worried much about this, I sort of like the fact it’s more like a blog and the nuances of the various contributors writing styles make it seem more personal. For the most part they communicate their points effectively and are interesting to read.

That being said, this particular article was a little bit of a struggle, so perhaps some assistance in translating would make it a little more readable.

And yes, I learned to type in the late 60’s and double spacing after a period remains a habit I will most likely never break, and visually I’ve never had any issue with it. Sorry it annoys some so much ... (mmmm, I wonder why my spell/grammar checker doesn’t correct it?  Maybe the computer can figure out how to make up for this bad habit)

Colorado David

There was a time a few years ago that I had the AP Style Book virtually memorized.  Has anyone looked at online news sources recently? Spelling, grammar, and punctuation are horrendous.  You'd think a news source would have an editor to review content or at least someone to proof for spelling and punctuation.  Until all the other websites in the universe clean up their mess, I can't get too excited about some errors on Lula.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
Re: LuLa Needs to Start Editing/Proof Reading Articles Prior to Publication
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 04:13:09 pm »

IF spelling, grammar, and punctuation are more important that content, we’re all in trouble.
Yes I too was trained to type using two spaces after a period but rarely do so anymore. It in no way changes or improves the content of the text IMHO. Oh, in the old days you didn’t use IMHO either AFAIK. ::)

MarkL

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 05:11:43 pm »

There was a time a few years ago that I had the AP Style Book virtually memorized.  Has anyone looked at online news sources recently? Spelling, grammar, and punctuation are horrendous.  You'd think a news source would have an editor to review content or at least someone to proof for spelling and punctuation.  Until all the other websites in the universe clean up their mess, I can't get too excited about some errors on Lula.

The problem is that most of it is only there as click bait for ad revenue. Rushing out an SEO headlined piece on a 'trending' topic (even if totally speculative with no actual facts) is more important than any standards for the content itself.

AlfSollund

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 06:13:52 am »

Brad 
Content before presentation. Allways. Story and message before grammar. Allway. Just my hunble opinion.
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

BradSmith

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 12:37:38 pm »

And where in my original post did some of you get the idea that I was suggesting that Kevin et al should stop caring about the content of published articles and instead, focus all their efforts on correct spelling and grammar?  I don't really think that this site's great content and my suggested improvements are mutually exclusive.
Brad

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 12:42:52 pm »

And where in my original post did some of you get the idea that I was suggesting that Kevin et al should stop caring about the content of published articles and instead, focus all their efforts on correct spelling and grammar?  I don't really think that this site's great content and my suggested improvements are mutually exclusive.
You didn’t and I agree with your last point. I think what most are saying is we’re happy to give Kevin and other’s a pass in terms of spelling and grammar based on the media. It’s far easier to reedit and fix such issues on the web than a printed book which typically undergoes stricter editing. I’d gladly accept spelling and grammar errors and more content than the opposite. I also think we can give them a grace period to update, fix, clarify the writing as necessary.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 02:17:33 am »

Hi,

Absolutely agree. Content may need proofing, too.

Best regards
Erik

Content before presentation. Allways. Story and message before grammar. Allway. Just my hunble opinion.
Erik Kaffehr

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:37 am »

It’s far easier to reedit and fix such issues on the web than a printed book which typically undergoes stricter editing.

True, editing a wordpress post is relatively easy.
If anybody notices a typo or other error, they could directly email Kevin with the correct spelling, and based on his availability, an article will get updated in a timely fashion.
I agree with other posters that the content and speed of publishing are more important than delayed, but typo-free text. Fortunately, with the army of willing and competent proof readers, and ease of text revisions, the writing style and grammar of the final article versions won't suffer.

You can think of the first readers as beta testers.   

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 11:08:56 am »

I suspect that in this particular case it isn't about spelling, typos or even grammar. Different languages have different sentence structure, length and word order. I also dare to suggest that different peoples have different ways of thinking and  expressing it. This all leads to a sentence where all the words are correct, no typos, even the grammar might be fine, yet hard to comprehend. Me thinks. As someone who speaks several languages and often resorts to interpreting rather than translating. Ever wondered why Google translation often ends up sounding rather strange?

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 11:12:08 am »

If you had a typing class in the USA back in the 1960's or 1970's you were taught to always double space after a period.  So those of us that went through the educational system back then still do that out of habit.  It is just as natural to us as a single space is to you ;)

I am a product of just this scenario. Old dogs can learn new tricks!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 11:22:52 am »

Content before presentation. Allways [sic]. Story and message before grammar. Allway [sic]. Just my hunble [sic] opinion.

Content with good presentation - always. Story and message with proper grammar - always.

Think of a photograph as an analogy to an article. The content and message of the story correspond to the subject matter of the photo. The presentation and grammar of the story correspond to the technical aspects of the photo. Given the enormous amount of interest and energy here on LuLa devoted to the technical aspects of photography, is anyone going to seriously claim that the "technical" aspects of a written piece don't matter?

And let's face it, there is nothing on LuLa that is really time-sensitive, so the argument that "we can't take time to proofread and correct" rings pretty hollow.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up