Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 Pro 8.2 - Copy White Balance not working correctly  (Read 2750 times)

Malcolm Payne

C1 Pro 8.2 - Copy White Balance not working correctly
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:57:01 am »

I have an odd problem with the copy White Balance function not working correctly in v8.2 -  the white balance and tint values copy successfully (as far as I can tell), but when applied to further variants the values may be applied either correctly, incorrectly or not at all, seemingly at random.

As an example:
Set white balance and tint as required on primary variant, in this case WB=5200, Tint=4.2.
Click on 'Copy Adjustments from Primary Variant' tool.
Check on Adjustments Clipboard that White Balance and any other required adjustments are selected.
Select new variant(s).
Click on 'Apply Adjustments to Primary Variant tool.

Result:
Original (copied) primary variant: WB=5200, Tint=4.2
Selected variant original values BEFORE adjustment applied WB=5048 Tint=0.7
Selected variant values AFTER adjustment applied WB=5185 Tint=3.8

The actual values applied are not consistent and vary from image to image. In some cases the correct values are applied, others are incorrect but different in each case, yet others remain unchanged. This occurs whether the WB adjustments are copied to a single variant at a time or to multiple variants.

Results are similar using the individual 'Copy & Apply' tool in the White Balance tab rather than the 'Copy/Apply all adjustments' tools

This works correctly and as expected in  C1 v7.2.4, so it appears to be specifically a v8.x problem.

I've raised a support case with Phase One but wondered if anyone has seen anything similar or has any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Malcolm

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: C1 Pro 8.2 - Copy White Balance not working correctly
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:09 am »

I have an odd problem with the copy White Balance function not working correctly in v8.2 -  the white balance and tint values copy successfully (as far as I can tell), but when applied to further variants the values may be applied either correctly, incorrectly or not at all, seemingly at random.

Hi Malcolm,

Not that it will help you much, but I cannot replicate that strange behavior. My adjusted WB copies exactly to the new variant, so I assume it has something to do with your specific setup/hardware.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:56:01 pm »

Thanks, Bart - even negative data points can be helpful!

There's definitely something odd going on - there's no obvious correlation between the original values and the final adjusted values, though the adjusted values appear to be consistent for repeated applications to the same file(s), e.g. for two files with identical settings other than WB:

Copied from primary variant (WB/Tint): 4836/4.2

File 1: Original 5047/0.7
After pasting adjustments: 5069/0.7

File 2: Original 5138/4.0
After pasting adjustments: 5008/0.5

What is interesting is that the 'adjusted' values appear to be file-dependent, rather than related to the original values; thus, if I manually change the original settings for File 2 to 5047/0.7 (as per the original values for File 1), then paste the adjustment as before, the 'adjusted' values for File 2 are still 5008/0.5.

I've now managed to tie this down a little further, and it appears to be related to whether the file has an LCC profile applied. If I reset the file so as to delete the LCC, the WB & Tint values paste correctly; undoing the paste, reapplying the LCC and then redoing the paste results in the identical incorrect values as previously. In one instance the incorrectly pasted values were identical to those of the associated LCC, but that does not appear to be consistently the case.

Further investigation is clearly needed, but the fact that that it works correctly every time in v7.2.4 on the same machine strongly suggests a bug in v8.2 rather than an installation problem. I'll check further on my Win 8 laptop as a second reference  - a very quick test on that machine indicated similar anomalies when attempting to paste WB settings directly to a reference LCC file itself, but I need to look into that further with standard files.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »

I've now confirmed the same behaviour on my Win 8 installation, and it definitely seems to be related to whether the recipient file already has an LCC profile applied. It's not yet absolutely clear whether it's specific to particular LCC profile(s) or whether any LCC profile will trigger it, but initial testing suggests the latter. I'll update my Phase One support case with the new information and see what they have to say.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 08:26:58 am »

This problem is now tentatively solved, pending further confirmation next week when I have several further batches of RAWs to process.

I had queried the possibility of session corruption on my support case, to which Phase One responded:

"typically we wouldn't associate a session with this, BUT if there is some corruption within the sessions cache data what you would be seeing on the settings could be incorrect in theory."

They requested a copy of the original .cosessiondb file (which they now have) for a bug tracking report, then asked me to do a Verify Session check followed by Repair Session. This initial check failed with a 'Database content error'. Repair Session then reported fixes to 'Invalid stack-image links' and 'content fixes', followed by Database repair OK. I have been unable so far to replicate the WB problem since repairing the session, so it looks as if that may have been the original cause.

If that was indeed the case, it would probably explain why I experienced similar problems on the separate Win 8 installation, since that was using the same original .cosessiondb file. (I had simply copied the original tethered session across from the laptop to my main editing machine in its entirety for further processing.) I am still concerned though as to how and where any corruption might have occurred.

I'll update further if there is any additional definitive feedback from Phase One, meanwhile I hope that might help if anyone else has similar problems.

Cheers,

Malcolm
Pages: [1]   Go Up