Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Four Corners in February  (Read 5768 times)

Smack

• http://
Four Corners in February
« on: January 28, 2006, 10:04:46 pm »

Going to Phoenix on business in a couple of weeks.  Thought I'd tack on a 3 day weekend of shooting.  I was thinking of driving to Northern AZ and the four corners.

Any thoughts on experience with Bryce, Zion, the Antelope Canyons (sun too low in Feb?), Grand Canyon and Monument Valley in February?

Regards,

Steve

Hank

Four Corners in February
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 01:50:58 am »

Bryce is likely to be as cold as an IRS auditor's heart.  Zion is usually a lot warmer, at least during the day.  Don't know about the light in Antelope, but it shouldn't be an issue in either Bryce or Zion.  Be sure to get a road report before driving east from Bryce toward Escalante via Hwy 12, as you will climb pretty high in the mountains and the roads definitely could be icy.

Four corners should be ideal with almost no people, but great shooting conditions.  South GC should be fine, but the North will be closed.  Monument Valley should be great, too.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:55:06 am by Hank »

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
Four Corners in February
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 09:06:12 am »

I really enjoyed my trip to Antelope in early Dec - 3 weeks from solstice - you'll have even better sun in Feb, but there won't be any of the famous "beams", but still not to be missed.

Peter McLennan

Four Corners in February
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 05:47:12 pm »

Hank's right.  Heck, he's probably been to Hanksville!  

Bryce is over 8000 ft.  The road over the summit past Escalante is even higher.  It will be astoundingly cold, even if it's sunny.

Either way, I think you have to choose either Bruce/Zion or Four Corners.  Not enough time to do both in three days.  You'd do nothing but drivel

I'd do Monument Valley for reasons listed previously.  For a real treat, head north from MV and turn W on UT 261 just north of Mexican Hat.  About ten miles up this paved road is The Moki Dugway, which by then is gravel.  It's short, it's steep, it's unforgettable.  You can see forever.

Peter

pathfinder

• http://www.pathfinder.smugmug.com
Four Corners in February
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 10:19:48 pm »

I am going to be in southern Utah  along the southern edge of Escalente in mid May.  I plan to stay in Page Arizona for a couple of days, and in Bluff Utah for a couple of days.

I will see Dead Horse, Bryce, Zion, and Arches on the way out, and southern Utah on the way back east again.

Is Moki Dugway better to shoot in the morning light, or the afternoon - evening light?

I plan to shoot sunrise at Horseshoe Bend of course.  And sunrise or sunset at Monument Valley?

I want to shoot Natural Bridges as well.  Again, morning or evening, or doesn't matter

Any suggestions of other places not to be missed?

C4D

• http://liquiddrift.com
Four Corners in February
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 01:03:11 am »

forget all the mainstream locations of the Southwest, all the secrets are in Escalante  

I visit the Southwest often during Feb, excellent time of year to be in the area with no crowds and a mixture of snow and springtime weather, most of the time the weather is clear

camilla

Four Corners in February
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 03:33:13 pm »

Pathfinder-
Moki Dugway: When you reach the top (coming from Bluff or Monument Valley) make an immediate left at the top of the mesa on a dirt road. There you can go all the way or part of the way to some pulloffs. This is Muley Point, the most beautiful scenery in the USA as per the New York Times about ten years ago. Quite unknown to most people at that time a little more known now. Absolutely amazing at sunrise and spectacular at sunset. Super rock formations and the view..well you let me know what you thought of it when you return.

If you want more info I have a lot to share
email me at tropizz@optonline.net

Peter McLennan

Four Corners in February
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 05:29:03 pm »

I am going to be in southern Utah  along the southern edge of Escalente in mid May.  I plan to stay in Page Arizona for a couple of days, and in Bluff Utah for a couple of days.

I will see Dead Horse, Bryce, Zion, and Arches on the way out, and southern Utah on the way back east again.
Is Moki Dugway better to shoot in the morning light, or the afternoon - evening light?

I plan to shoot sunrise at Horseshoe Bend of course.  And sunrise or sunset at Monument Valley?

I want to shoot Natural Bridges as well.  Again, morning or evening, or doesn't matter
Any suggestions of other places not to be missed?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62063\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Moki Dugway is a morning shoot, I'd think,  The big cliff run is NS, with the cliffs facing mostly east and SE.  Whatever, it's worth it any time of the day just for the drive.

The other locations are too complex to classify as morning or evening IMHO.  

Thanks, Camilla for the Muley Point tip.  Next time.  

Peter

pathfinder

Four Corners in February
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 06:14:33 pm »

Thanks for the responces.  

I knew that Moki Dugway was not to be missed.  

I will definitely spend a morning and an evening at Muley Point.

Just about 4 weeks until departure.  I'm looking forward to it.

Jayhawk

Four Corners in February
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 10:55:53 am »

I have a question relating to the Antelopes.  I was watching an episode of the Video Journal where Michael is in Lower Antelope, and he made the comment that the AWB setting renders a lot of the red rock colors a middle grey.  What's the beset white balance setting to use in the Antelopes (or any slot canyon for that matter)?

pathfinder

Four Corners in February
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 12:14:54 pm »

I shot Antelope 2 years ago - so I probably shot in AWB in RAW, and adjusted the color on RAW conversion..   Canon 10D then

You could shoot in Shade of course, but I did not sem to have grey images the way I did it.  I suspect if you measure the color temperature in the canyon, it will vary highly depending on where you measure.  Some of the areas with lightshafts are obviously lit by sunlight and reflected sunlight, others by sky light only or even cloudy light, and some might be in the shade depending on time of day.

I will be interested to hear others opinions on this subject as I will be returning to the slot canyons in a few weeks.  You could white balance on a white shirt perhaps?  

Is this too gray?

Jayhawk

Four Corners in February
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 09:57:13 pm »

I shot Antelope 2 years ago - so I probably shot in AWB in RAW, and adjusted the color on RAW conversion..   Canon 10D then

You could shoot in Shade of course, but I did not sem to have grey images the way I did it.  I suspect if you measure the color temperature in the canyon, it will vary highly depending on where you measure.  Some of the areas with lightshafts are obviously lit by sunlight and reflected sunlight, others by sky light only or even cloudy light, and some might be in the shade depending on time of day.

I will be interested to hear others opinions on this subject as I will be returning to the slot canyons in a few weeks.  You could white balance on a white shirt perhaps? 

Is this too gray?

That actually looks great....I guess I still have a hard time reminding myself that you can change color temp. if you shoot RAW in the RAW conversion.  I just recall a couple of the images from the Video Journal where the rocks were a ghostly grey with a bit of yellow, not the vivid reds and purples you typically see.  I"m heading out that way this summer and I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=62289\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up