Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No black nozzle on 3880  (Read 2791 times)

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
No black nozzle on 3880
« on: April 14, 2015, 10:18:15 pm »

After several years of great service, my 3880 is acting up. For the first time ever I had to use the mat black ink. It worked. But when I switched back to photo black, I lost the black nozzles. Nozzle check just give a big blank spot. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.
Les

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
Re: No black nozzle on 3880
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:25 pm »

I had all the black nozzles go dead in the middle of a print on my 3880. All I had to do was pop out the black cartridge and put it back in, and run another cleaning cycle.

elliot_n

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 07:16:27 am »

Try a fresh Photo Black cartridge - occasionally the printer gets muddled and does not realise that an ink cartridge is empty. You can use kitchen scales to check (full 144g, empty 64g).

Les Sparks

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:27:41 am »

Thanks for the help.
I replaced the old photo black even though the printer info showed 40% left, did a cleaning cycle and lo and behold I'm back in business.
I weighed the old photo black and got 60 gms. so Elliot was right that the printer was muddled.
I had searched the web for the problem and the only advise anyone offered was take the printer in for repair You guys were the only ones to offer anything useful. So thanks again. Now if you could help me with my typing.
Les

Some Guy

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 12:26:06 pm »

3880 does some oddities at times.  Sometimes I can ink switch and get nozzle drops.  Let it sit for a day and then when it re-pressurizes up on day two, surprise it works.

Same occurs cleaning of the capping station pads.  It might have a nozzle not quite working going in.  I flood the capping station pad with head cleaner, let it park there, and a few hours later it works.  Maybe the solvent softens the clog or whatever.

Most annoying is when it drops nozzles mid-print and I see some banding.  Air bubble maybe in the line or head.  I dunno.

Too bad Epson won't come up with a combo MK & PK ink where they could get rid of that wasteful black ink swapping stuff.  But it makes money for them in wasted ink and maintenance tanks that quickly fill and stop the printer.  Leave it to them and they'll come out with a Luster Black (LSK?) in addition to the LK and MK.

SG

bagelin

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 12:32:57 pm »

Weigh that new PK cartridge in a few days to make sure you don't have an ink leak. Quite a few 3880 users have had leaking PK channels. The printers show XX% PK but the cartridge is empty. Replacing it only leads to another empty cartridge after some time. MK may or may not be affected. Typically you would notice black ink drops/streaks on the edges of prints though, so it may not be your problem.

Les Sparks

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 11:28:44 pm »

I'll look for that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Les Sparks

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 11:39:18 pm »

It appears that I may have the ink leak you mentioned. Have black ink drops on right side of print. I replaced the maintenance cartridge when I replaces the PK ink. I pulled the new cartridge and noticed a big blob of black ink. Any suggestions on dealing with the ink leak?
Solve one problem and find a new one.
Les

bagelin

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 04:13:58 am »

Searching the web I didn't find any solution to the problem. Epsons standard response seems to be "replace the ink supply assembly", which is a major part of the printer.

I suspect the problem lies in the black ink switch. After using the printer for years and maybe not switching black inks very often,  there may be an ink build up on the "piston" that blocks the black line not in use. When switching from PK to MK (or MK to PK) the piston won't seal the ink line and the printer tries to keep the positive pressure. The black ink will then be pushed through the head, drops will hang under it until caught by the paper and give drops/streaks mainly at the edges of the paper. This is just my theory, and I guess the problem could be ink build up in the dampers as well.

Here's how I dealt with it. I haven't used PK a lot since but it seems to be working again, no leaks and no streaks on prints;

First I did the usual cleaning (bottom of printhead, capping station) with no luck. I also cleaned the ink and air connections for the black carts.
Then I made two cleaning carts (MK and PK) and filled them with distilled water and about 30% isopropanol. ( See http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbnlJgxMV8 for one way of doing it, requires a resetter and an OEM chip with at least 15% remaining). I switched PK to MK and back a few times to fill the lines with cleaning solution. Then I let the printer sit for more than a week (not a quick fix!). Once or twice a day I printed an A4 filled with black through QTR using only the black channel, this way no color ink was wasted. I also switched between MK and PK so that both channels were used, MK was selected most of the time though. If my theory is correct keeping the MK line open will let the ink build up resolve from the piston, and then make a tight seal when selecting PK.
Finally after more than a week when switching to PK the prints got darker and then lighter again, showing that something may have been resolved. I kept the cleaning solution for a few more days and then changed to MK and PK ink cartridges. Now it prints OK with both MK and PK with no leaks. The trick seemed to be giving the isopropanol enough time to work.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 08:59:18 am by bagelin »

Les Sparks

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 09:18:21 am »

Thanks. I'll give it a try when I have a bit of time.
Only suggestion I found on the web was to turn the printer off and leave it idle for a week or so.
Almost makes me yearn for the old days with my darkroom. Enlarger never gave problems except for an occasional lamp needed replacing.  But then I looked at my darkroom notebooks and saw all the hassle involved in getting the b&w print the way I wanted it--base exposure, burn here dodge there etc. And then there was little control over color. So I'm happy we have digital, Lightroom, Photoshop, and great printers. No way would I go back to the darkroom.
Thanks again.
Les

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:21:06 pm »

Speaking of the 3880, I yesterday printed my FIRST fine-art...ahem...photo wider than 13", this one being 22X15.5" on 25X17" luster paper.  It was GORGEOUS if I say so myself.

TYVM Epson for making a great foto printer that's not lots bigger than my last 13X19" printer.

Les Sparks

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 10:36:23 am »

bagelin,
I tried your advise and seem to have resolved the ink leak. It didn't take as long as you said. Several switches beween PK and Matt and a little cleaning seemed to work.
Thanks for your help--saved me a repair bill--or took away the excuse for buying a new printer.
Les

bagelin

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 10:45:58 am »

I'm glad I could help! I have gotten a lot of help from this forum myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up