Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Type for Matt Canvas  (Read 1101 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Media Type for Matt Canvas
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:05:47 pm »

I am trying out a matte canvas on my HP Z3100 for the first time and would like some suggestions on what media type to choose.
Mike

Mike Sellers

Re: Media Type for Matt Canvas
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:32:02 pm »

To be more specific it is Simply Elegant Matte Canvas and the choices in the printer are
1. HP Prof Matte Canvas
2. HP Artist Matte Canvas
3. Canvas

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:41:17 pm »

Mike,

I would recommend either the Prof Matte Canvas or Canvas media type.  The Artist Matte is a little lighter than the Simply Elegant Matte canvas; so the other 2 options would work best.

Hope this helps.

Atlex.com

Justin B

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:51:24 pm »

Which matte canvas are you using?

If you've never seen it, the attached is pretty darn handy. Pages 7+ gives you ink limits, black ink type, etc of various HP media types. Pretty helpful when starting the process to decide for new 3rd party media.

You can see from the tables that all three of these canvas media types have identical ink limits, rendering and printing resolutions, # of passes, and carriage travel settings. In other words, it shouldn't much matter which of those you select, according to this HP doc.

Good luck.
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

Mike Sellers

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 10:23:42 am »

Hey thanks Justin and everyone else-great info

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:28:43 am »

Hi Mike,

When I was still using the 7600 printers I always set the media type to Epson Enhanced Matte, since that's also the profile I use for canvas.  That and a paper feed adjustment in the Epson driver gave me good results as far as image length was concerned(no canvas "shrinkage" issues). However, when I started printing canvas with the 9900 I had to try a few different approaches to get the image length to print correctly.  Paper feed adjustment had virtually no effect for that purpose, so for a short time I was doing the ever so popular 1.4% addition to the length of the image.  A bit of a nuisance for sure.  I was also using the Enhanced Matte setting on the printer panel as well as in the media type.  I then decided to try the canvas setting in media type and on the printer panel as well.  That combination has worked well for the past few years.  I do however still use the Enhanced Matte profile for canvas.  I do all of my testing on Enhanced Matte paper, less costly that canvas.  I then apply my correction factor from EnhMatte to canvas and the results are exactly as predicted.  So to answer your question, yes, I do use the canvas setting in "media type" within the driver.  I have no idea how the HP is set up, so my printer control panel setting is likely of no use to you.  I use Breathing Color canvas and have tested their profile.  The results were almost exactly what I get with the EnhMatte profile, and in some cases not quite as good.  Although you are of course using HP, I hope some of this might be of help in your situation.

Cheers,
Gary  
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

ddolde

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 01:02:28 pm »

Breathing Color Lyve is an excellent canvas though a bit higher priced than some.
Pages: [1]   Go Up