Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On1 Browser Out Performs Lightroom  (Read 3020 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
On1 Browser Out Performs Lightroom
« on: April 13, 2015, 07:16:55 pm »

I started using ON1 Perfect Photo Suite with version 8 and now as of today using version 9.5.
I am amazed how fast the thumbnails appear vs Lightroom 5.7. My images are stored on a Drobo 5D that has 5, 3TB 7200 rmp hard drives along with a mSATA 126GB card. Drobo is connected via Thunderbolt to a MacBook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB Ram. When opening Lightroom it may take 30 second to 20 minutes each time for thumbnails to appear. Just extremely slow. However viewing the same images off the Drobo via Perfect Photo Suite 9.5 is supper fast. No hesitation or no spinning ball like I get with Lightroom. 

I am hoping that this new version 6.0 that is supposed to be coming soon will help speed up the performance of Lightroom.

Stu

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: On1 Browser Out Performs Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:04:21 pm »

You are comparing a browser to a database.

StuartOnline

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:14:26 pm »

I do understand that On1 is a browser, however even Capture One is fast for viewing thumbnails which I have been trying out. Like I mentioned I sure hope there is an improvement with the next version of LR.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:37:41 pm »

I started using ON1 Perfect Photo Suite with version 8 and now as of today using version 9.5.
I am amazed how fast the thumbnails appear vs Lightroom 5.7. My images are stored on a Drobo 5D that has 5, 3TB 7200 rmp hard drives along with a mSATA 126GB card. Drobo is connected via Thunderbolt to a MacBook Pro 15" 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB Ram. When opening Lightroom it may take 30 second to 20 minutes each time for thumbnails to appear. Just extremely slow. However viewing the same images off the Drobo via Perfect Photo Suite 9.5 is supper fast. No hesitation or no spinning ball like I get with Lightroom. 

I am hoping that this new version 6.0 that is supposed to be coming soon will help speed up the performance of Lightroom.

Stu

I never wait more than a few seconds for thumbnails to appear in LR 5.7 on a MBP 15" late 2013 model 2.3Ghz. Launching LR until the thumbnails are displayed takes about 6-7 seconds. So I'm wondering what situation you really are taking about?

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:08:24 pm »

...viewing the same images off the Drobo via Perfect Photo Suite 9.5 is supper fast.

I hope you don't get indigestion.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:47:02 am by Simon Garrett »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:50:24 pm »

When opening Lightroom it may take 30 second to 20 minutes each time for thumbnails to appear. Just extremely slow.
Something’s terribly wrong on your end, that’s not supposed to happen and like others here, it’s not anything like I experience.
Optimize your catalog.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

StuartOnline

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:48:37 pm »

Something’s terribly wrong on your end, that’s not supposed to happen and like others here, it’s not anything like I experience.
Optimize your catalog.

Hi Digitaldog

I think the issue maybe with the Drobo 5D. I moved a folder of over 200 high resolution images (Sony A7R 36MP) to a folder on the Macbook Pro Retina (512 Flash Drive) via Lightroom. Did a number of edits along with using On1 9.5 Plug-in (round tripping) everything was extremely fast. No spinning ball and no waiting.

So now with this workflow I will do editing within the MacBook Pro and not the 5D. Just use the 5D for storing the finished catalog. If I have to do editing on older images will do the same workflow. Still hoping will see some performance increase with the new version whenever it is released.

By the way I do use the Optimize feature often.

Stu

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 07:50:10 pm »

I think the issue maybe with the Drobo 5D.
Wouldn’t surprise me based on some of horror stories I’ve heard about that product over the years.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

StuartOnline

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 07:59:53 pm »

Wouldn’t surprise me based on some of horror stories I’ve heard about that product over the years.

I think you are correct about the Drobo. Brian Matiash did an article about switching from Drobo 5D to G-Technology: http://brianmatiash.com/2014/12/30/thegreatmigration/  I have been thinking seriously going the same direction.

Stu

headmj

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 04:03:26 pm »

ON1 does not process anything.  It uses the .jpg  stored in your raw file.  If I import photos into LR and wait for the standard previews to build any subsequent access is just as fast as ON1.  I see on1 browse as being a nice spot to do a quick purge before moving data to LR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up