Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works  (Read 283403 times)

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
Re: Recent Format Agnostic Professional Works
« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2015, 06:58:27 pm »

😄. My camera lives at 12-15mm

Ha! I think what you shoot definitely qualifies as one of the "few cases"!

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #281 on: June 20, 2015, 10:28:21 pm »

We're talking the TS-e versus the Zoom right?  If you think you're going to be doing a lot of work around 24mm there is no contest at all.  The 24mm TS-e is one of the best lenses in that focal length I have ever seen.  It easily rivaled my Schneiders.  It is also distortion free.  The zoom certainly exhibits some barrel distortion and doesn't have the sharpness of the TS-e.

The 17 TS-e, while also quite good doesn't stand up to the 24mm.  Not nearly as sharp.

My Canon mount lens board for the Arca is on its way from SK Grimes and I'm anxious to see what kind of shifting I can do with the 17-40.  Tilt-shift zooms... I never thought I would live to see the day.

CB

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #282 on: June 21, 2015, 05:08:22 am »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for good info! I originally planned for the 24/3.5 TSE, but I felt the 17/4 TSE may be a better choice. But I guess that I go with the 24 mm as originally planned.

Bst regards
Erik

We're talking the TS-e versus the Zoom right?  If you think you're going to be doing a lot of work around 24mm there is no contest at all.  The 24mm TS-e is one of the best lenses in that focal length I have ever seen.  It easily rivaled my Schneiders.  It is also distortion free.  The zoom certainly exhibits some barrel distortion and doesn't have the sharpness of the TS-e.

The 17 TS-e, while also quite good doesn't stand up to the 24mm.  Not nearly as sharp.

My Canon mount lens board for the Arca is on its way from SK Grimes and I'm anxious to see what kind of shifting I can do with the 17-40.  Tilt-shift zooms... I never thought I would live to see the day.

CB
Erik Kaffehr

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #283 on: June 21, 2015, 07:30:02 am »

Guys, Both lenses are excellent (I have two of each).  I've found that there is quite a bit of variability between copies of them though, some are much sharper than others.  I'd test them before putting them to use.  I've seen a few shots taken with the new 11mm-24mm and it's very impressive.  I'll have one to test in the next month and post the results.  I believe Stefan is modifying them for shifting (it might be someone else) which would be very handy.  Jim

Chris Barrett

« Reply #284 on: June 21, 2015, 08:35:25 am »

Yeah, Stefan at Hcam has recently offered the 11-24 as part of his Master Tilt Shift setup.  All he does to the lens is trim off the tulip shade.  Actually, I believe he has Canon do it.  I imagine you can get one from him with or without the tilt-shift rig.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #285 on: June 21, 2015, 12:12:18 pm »

Guys, Both lenses are excellent (I have two of each).  I've found that there is quite a bit of variability between copies of them though, some are much sharper than others.  I'd test them before putting them to use.  I've seen a few shots taken with the new 11mm-24mm and it's very impressive.  I'll have one to test in the next month and post the results.  I believe Stefan is modifying them for shifting (it might be someone else) which would be very handy.  Jim

I've been using the Sigma 12-24 for a number of years.  Lots of sample variation in those lenses but I did find two very good copies.

I'll be renting a 11-24 and a 50Mp 5D later this month to see how they stack up.  I suspect the lens will best the Sigma.   I'm on the fence on the camera.  I like the Sony but until Phase can fix Capture Pilot so it can control camera functions its a non starter for me. 

Craig Lamson Photo

gazwas

« Reply #286 on: June 21, 2015, 04:10:55 pm »

Tilt-shift zooms... I never thought I would live to see the day.

+1

Really exciting times with these new mini view camera/mirrorless setups.
trying to think of something meaningful........ Err?

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
Re:
« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2015, 03:37:21 am »

I have 17 and 24.
The 24mm is my absolute go to!
The 17 is great, but you need to use with care/careful thought process.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

K.C.

« Reply #288 on: June 22, 2015, 10:18:24 pm »

I also have the 120/4 CFI, 180/4 CFi and a 100/3.5 CF.

I love the 180/4CFi it's a significantly better lens than the 150 and the 100/3.5 CF was claimed by Hassy at the timeto be the sharpest lens they made. Mine is simply outstanding and a wonderful focal length to work with.

Guys, Both lenses are excellent (I have two of each).  I've found that there is quite a bit of variability between copies of them though, some are much sharper than others.  I'd test them before putting them to use.

Sadly even with these lenses Canon still ships variations in quality that should never leave the factory. I have the 17 and it's tack sharp. I rented 2 before I bought and when I review those images they don't compare to the lens I purchased. My 24 is outstanding as well.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #289 on: June 22, 2015, 10:47:25 pm »

Hi,

Well, that is what the MTF curves say. I never had 150/4 and 180/4 at the same time as I traded in my 150/4 for a 180/4. The reason was I seldom used it.

The 100/3.5 is said to be very sharp at infinity, this is consistent with my experience.

I love the 180/4CFi it's a significantly better lens than the 150 and the 100/3.5 CF was claimed by Hassy at the timeto be the sharpest lens they made. Mine is simply outstanding and a wonderful focal length to work with.

Erik Kaffehr

Chris Barrett

« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2015, 05:46:16 pm »

Canon mount lens board just arrived from SK Grimes.  So awesome!  Now I can mount the 17 & 24 TS-Es on the Arca, as well as the newly arrived Contax 35mm PC.  So cool!

I can actually get like 20mm of movement out of the Contax 35mm, that blows the socks off my SK 35mm XL.

CB

JoeKitchen

« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2015, 10:54:21 am »

Looks pretty cool Chris.  How are you finding going back to a bellows camera?  (Not sure if I would ever want to work with bellows again.) 

Also, how are you controlling the aperture on the Canon lenses?  Does the custom lens board give you control of this? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Chris Barrett

« Reply #292 on: June 24, 2015, 12:56:50 pm »

Joe, I still did all my furniture shoots with the view camera, as I never mounted anything longer than 70mm for the Rm3d, so I'm still pretty comfy with them.  Any shortcomings in working with a bellows cam are pretty much taken care of by having stellar live-view.  One of my favorite things about the platform is I can use all my lenses (17, 24, 35, 40, 50 ,60, 80, 90, 110, 135, etc yada yada) without changing cameras or platforms.  With the Rm3d, I always had to go to the DSLR and 17mm TS-e for super wide stuff and then the view camera for long stuff.  I don't need that kind of hassle on set.

XE11

« Reply #293 on: June 24, 2015, 04:42:05 pm »

i dont have direct first-hand experience with 17 nor 24. but from what i read/heard, I always thought 17mm is slightly lagging behind the 24mm. and this is findings from existing kit. so, to go even higher up in MP (with a7rII and 5DsR), i do wonder how much benefit you will gain from increasing pixel count. but of course, with full shift, the 24mm has similar field coverage as an unshifted 17mm TSE, so to go further, the 17mm TSE is the only way to go.

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #294 on: June 24, 2015, 05:30:06 pm »

Chris nice job they did on that mount! Enjoy
I don't know if you explained that before, but how do you change the aperture?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:50:07 pm by ACH DIGITAL »
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Craig Magee

• www.craigmagee.co.uk
« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2015, 04:28:05 am »

You put the lens on a Canon body, set the aperture you want, hold the dof preview button down, then at the same time remove the lens. Lens is physically set then and won't change until you plug it back into a Canon body.

Loving this thread and all the information on it. Realise I need to step up my game a bit :) Think I need to learn how to light interiors, mostly at the moment I rely on the ambient and  blending a few exposures together.

Chris Barrett

« Reply #296 on: June 30, 2015, 09:40:29 am »

Or if you have the Sony and Metabones adapter, you fire off a long exposure and just remove the lens while the shutter is open.  I've set my 24mm and 17mm at f/11 and they just stay there.  Cambo has a great (but not beautiful) solution in their Canon Electronic mount that should be about ready... though the cost of that puts the Actus up at the price of the Arca.  At some point Arca will come out with a Canon mount to integrate with their new electronic modules.  I may just stick with my manual hack.

CB

Kaypee

« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2015, 08:41:35 am »

Nice Scott. What lens did you use?

Kaypee

« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2015, 08:51:58 am »

How are you limiting the refections in the glass so much Joe? Are you using a polariser?

JoeKitchen

« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2015, 11:52:31 am »

How are you limiting the refections in the glass so much Joe? Are you using a polariser?

Depends on the image, the angle and how I am looking through the glass.  Most of the time I try to flag my lights and any other lights causing reflections, or capture an image with them turned off (if I can) and blend that in in post.  

A polarizer can work well so long as you are looking at the glass on an angle and the light is hitting the glass on an angle too.  However this will only decrease the intensity of the reflections and never completely gets ride of them.  Sometimes, only certain reflections are effected, or as you spin the polarizer certain reflections will dim down while other brighten and then the opposite happens after spinning a little more.  (Various light sources all hitting the surface at various angles.)  And when looking straight onto a piece of glass, usually a polarizer does nothing.  

The only way to completely eliminate the reflections with a polarizer is to also polarize the light source and cross polarize the polarizer on the lens.  My girlfriend, who shoots food and drink, does this a lot with bottle/glass shots in studio, however it is pretty much impractical on location when blending ambient and controlled light.  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:54:09 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27   Go Up