Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe : Invention of slowness  (Read 4087 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
Adobe : Invention of slowness
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:43:03 pm »

Hello,

it is unbelievable -

at 25th of Feb.'15 I uploaded all required documents for transferring PhotoShop licenses to a new user. At 26th of Feb.'15 Adobe suport confirmed to me that all documents are complete and they forwarded all to a different department to start the actual process.

Up to now, more than 8 weeks after all documents were completed and uploaded, the actual tranfer of the licenses has not been finished, nor have I recieved any information on that it is really in progress.
I called Adobe support again, and the only thing they couls tell me was that everything is uploaded to a different devision and it sometimes could take a little more time. Additionally, I was warned to add any remarks or questions to the ticket, cause when doing so, the whole process will be resetted and will start from it's beginning.

I cannot believe that a modern company like Adobe needs that much time for such a standard-process which I think takes place several times.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

inthesouthofireland

• http://www.paschhoff.com
Re: Adobe : Invention of slowness
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:32:49 pm »

This is how companies behave that do not have competition.

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 06:21:36 am »

This is how companies behave that do not have competition.
Sadly, such (lack of) customer service isn't limited to companies holding a monopoly.  I'll never again use AVIS if in need of a rental car.

In photography, I've been very fortunate.  In the 80s I sent an R 50/2 lens to Leica for servicing (can't recall what was wrong with it).  They returned it having rectified some cosmetic damages; looked almost new!  At a cost of zero to me!  Then, I received an e-mail reply from a Fujifilm technician within a matter of minutes after placing my query.  In contrast: Minolta never replied to a letter I sent them in the 80s and Canon similarly didn't to one in the 90s.

I feel, most large companies have outgrown a healthy size, they've become far too slow and ineffective.  Channels of communication have become too complicated and no individuals are responsible anymore for a certain issue - keeps being forwarded from one to another.  I work with a number of large automobile manufacturers and can only shake my head how times have changed.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 03:07:39 pm »

And yet there are companies like Shinola who are reinventing them self by keeping their company in economically destitute Detroit giving African Americans jobs hand assembling $300 precision watches and $3000 bikes adorned with the Shinola logo.

This is the very same Shinola that makes shoe polish going back to the day where the term "shoe shine boy" was usually relegated to socioeconomically stigmatize a certain race of folks.

I can't tell if this is poetic or just the cruel fate of life, but it does make me feel I don't know shit from Shinola.

I saw this story on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday and my head nearly exploded from trying to sort out the morality of it all.

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:23:24 am »

And yet there are companies like Shinola ...
... trying to sort out the morality of it all.
Interesting, Tim!  Shinola would be the type of company I'd enjoy supporting by purchasing their products.  Far too little information about such companies (or maybe that's due to my living across the Atlantic now).

As to morality, I'm at a loss, sometimes fearing the worst for the future.  Maybe just a generation thing.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 07:28:11 am »

This is the very same Shinola.....

Monocle did a story on Shinola well over a year ago. All operations had ceased for many decades and this was a company that consisted of a brand and only a brand, parked on a shelf. New people came along in 2011 and bought the brand. Nothing about today's Shinola has anything to do with the old Shinola...save the name.

mbaginy

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:11 am »

... Nothing about today's Shinola has anything to do with the old Shinola...save the name.
Ah, that's a shame.  There are a number of similar cases, when I think of stereo and electronic components here in Europe: Grundig, Dual, Telefunken.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:26 pm »

Nothing about today's Shinola has anything to do with the old Shinola...save the name.

Not saying anything derogatory about Shinola, the company or the value of its name recognition back then and now.

I feel like its more than a simple twist of fate that the value of the Shinola name has risen to a much higher level of prominence and trust just by selling shoe polish enough to now be bankable for now selling high end leisure items by comparison to African American's cultural rise in prominence by employing them to make these products I doubt any of these folks can afford now and certainly back when Shinola was making shoe polish and prospering with or without the help of African Americans.

It's just an observation on the kind of strange "swords into plowshares", "what goes around comes around" odd bedfellows required just to improve a race of folks standard of living.

I mean I'm sure it's a good thing. A positive for everyone involved but there's still something about it that just doesn't set right with me and I can't put my finger on it.

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 12:57:11 pm »

Hello,

after I've wrote an public article on facebook about this, the transfer of the license was finished within 3 days. Furthermore, I've received a mail containing the appologize of Adobe.
So after a  little more than 8 weeks, the process was already finished.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:42 pm »

Hello,

after I've wrote an public article on facebook about this, the transfer of the license was finished within 3 days. Furthermore, I've received a mail containing the appologize of Adobe.
So after a  little more than 8 weeks, the process was already finished.

Best wishes

Robert

Did Adobe explain what the holdup was? That would help others planning to do the same transfer choose the appropriate Adobe rep or department in order to avoid such delays in the future.

Do you think your Facebook article had an affect? Did anyone at Adobe offering the apology mention reading it? Good that it finally worked out for you.

Robert-Peter Westphal

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 03:22:40 pm »

Nothing special - just that it is complicated to transfer that much licenses at all and that it is difficult to transfer volume licenses wbecause for it 2 licenses have to be transferred ( one for Mac and one for Windows ).

For me, this all sounds a a weak argument.
Pages: [1]   Go Up