Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you ever sent grey market Nikon camera/lens to be repaired by any non Nikon  (Read 2267 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com

Have you ever sent grey market Nikon camera/lens to be repaired by any non Nikon service centers? I know the disadvantages of having/buying a grey market Nikon lens/camera. Nikon doesn't offer any repairs or technical support. My question: DOES Nikon supply parts to non-Nikon authorized repair centers? I have heard that lot of grey market Nikon owners use nikoncamerarepair.com for repair. Have you used them? nikoncamerarepair.com does repair grey market lenses but I am wondering whether Nikon supplies them the required original Nikon parts?

Thanks so much!

mouse

I have a vague recollection that a couple of years ago Nikon instituted a policy of refusing to sell parts to non-authorized repair centers.  Perhaps those with better (younger) memory can comment.

haring

Yeah! That's the piece of info what I am looking for... Anybody to chip in?

Colorado David

Nikon will not sell parts to non-authorized repair shops and there is a severe penalty clause in the contracts for authorized repair centers if they resell parts. They are also required to stock a certain quantity of parts which virtually eliminates smaller shops. It is my understanding that if you send a grey market device to Nikon, they will not return it.

dwswager

I've had a grey market lens repaired by sending it back to B&H no problem. 

People get confused between Nikon and Nikon USA.  Nikon USA is the official importer of Nikon in the USA.  Warranty service is handled in the USA by Nikon USA.  Parts for Nikon USA service centers are imported by...Nikon USA.  Nikon USA can then 'Authorize' a service center for warranty repair work and they

Grey market gear and parts are imported legally by someone other than Nikon USA.   A camera repair shop can fix whatever they want and get parts from another importer.  What they won't get is warranty repair business and parts from Nikon USA. 

haring

I've had a grey market lens repaired by sending it back to B&H no problem. 

People get confused between Nikon and Nikon USA.  Nikon USA is the official importer of Nikon in the USA.  Warranty service is handled in the USA by Nikon USA.  Parts for Nikon USA service centers are imported by...Nikon USA.  Nikon USA can then 'Authorize' a service center for warranty repair work and they

Grey market gear and parts are imported legally by someone other than Nikon USA.   A camera repair shop can fix whatever they want and get parts from another importer.  What they won't get is warranty repair business and parts from Nikon USA. 

Thanks so much! It makes everything clear. I would like to buy a Nikon $2000 lens for $1500 (grey market price).

bassman51

Turn the question around: given a lens which costs $1500, would you pay another $500 for the option to have it repaired in the future by a U.S. repair facility?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

dwswager

Turn the question around: given a lens which costs $1500, would you pay another $500 for the option to have it repaired in the future by a U.S. repair facility?

You can get a non Nikon USA imported lens repaired in the US, you just can't get Nikon USA to pay for it under warranty nor have it done in a Nikon USA Authorized service center.  You can even get it fixed at the same shop, by the same technician who does 'authorized' warranty service as long as the shop keeps a paper firewall between the 2 sides of the business.  Since I buy from B&H most times, that is where I would send a 'grey' lens to have it repaired.  Currently, I don't own any.  Last 2 lens purchases were Nikon Refurbished lenses with only a 90 day warranty.  I'm 3 years in now.

In 30 some years, I have had 1 lens that needed repair because I dropped it onto rock.  I'm not hard on my stuff, but I actually use it regularly. My D300 had 157,000 shutter actuations when I replaced it with the D7100 which has over 85,000.  Haven't checked the D810.   I never use 'protection' filters except in extreme conditions because I just don't go around poking stuff at my lenses!  They have hoods on them when appropriate and lens caps when appropriate.

Nikon USA lenses have a 1 year warranty which they will extend to 5 years if you register the lens.  All those lenses on Ebay that say they are warranted are not because to get the 5 years you have to register it and as soon as you do, the warranty becomes non transferable!

My Bottom Line:  If I am buying a lens for the warranty, I'm probably buying the wrong lens.  A lens very rarely goes bad unless you abuse it.  I have an insurance rider on my equipment for theft or loss.  While IS and VR and focusing motors add to the likelihood of a lens needing repair it is rather rare.

armand

• Photos

It is my understanding that if you send a grey market device to Nikon, they will not return it.

I doubt they would do it as it equals to stealing. You bought it, it's yours not theirs regardless from where you got it.

Robert DeCandido PhD

• http://www.BirdingBob.com

In 2008, I brought a 500mm F4 "P" (= late version AIS) lens to Nikon on Long Island (NY; Melville...=Nikon USA) for repair. It was purchased as a grey market lens in NYC from Adorama in about 1995.

Nikon repaired the grey market lens with no questions asked and provided a 3 month warranty of repair.

Perhaps they have updated their policy since 2012 or so regarding repairs...but it seemed to me at the time, they were happy to have the business (repair) - even if the lens was grey market.

These days I would give a call to Nippon Photo Clinic in Manhattan to determine if they can do the repairs. Nippon is wonderful - though pricey. You will have your equipment back in a few days...but they do charge professional prices (but do professional repairs).

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:14:09 pm by Robert DeCandido PhD »

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos

This question is slightly off-topic but is something I've been curious about. If you lived overseas for a while and brought back Nikon equipment that was bought while living abroad, it is considered grey market for repair purposes? Or warranty repair purposes?
--
Robert

Steve House

This question is slightly off-topic but is something I've been curious about. If you lived overseas for a while and brought back Nikon equipment that was bought while living abroad, it is considered grey market for repair purposes? Or warranty repair purposes?
I've read that if you have your receipts showing the purchase was non-grey market - from the local authorized channel - in the country where you purchased the gear, Nikon USA will accept it for repair.

dwswager

I've read that if you have your receipts showing the purchase was non-grey market - from the local authorized channel - in the country where you purchased the gear, Nikon USA will accept it for repair.

This is the case.  Say you live in Spain and bought the lens in Spain through an authorized dealer in Spain and are travelling in the USA, then Nikon USA will work on the item.

But as far as I'm aware, Nikon USA is the only separate and distinct entity of it's kind.  Nikon Europe, for example, is a direct owned operation of Nikon where Nikon USA is not.  Hence, the US market is the only odd ball.  Basically, anywhere else you are buying from Nikon, but in the US you are buying from Nikon USA.

It's very similar to the way Toyota cars are handled in the South East USA.  Long ago, a limited liability company was established and rights purchased from Toyota to be exclusive distributor of Toyota in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and North and South Carolina.  Southeast Toyota Distributors, LLC, owned by JM Family Enterprises, Inc. controls the distribution and sale of Toyota cars in that 5 state region. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up