Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Pro Color Issue  (Read 2184 times)

Jimmy D Uptain

Media Pro Color Issue
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:36:55 pm »

I'm hoping one of you color gurus can help me with this issue.
When viewing a photo in Media Pro, its way oversaturated/contrasty.
If I send the photo to PS or C1, colors are rendered correctly.
If the photo is sent directly to mail, its again, incorrect.
The type of file has no bearing. Jpegs and RAW both behave the same.
I have opened a support case today. Just wanted some input from you guys.
Here's a screen cap. for a better visual.
Media pro is on the left, Photoshop on the right.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Media Pro Color Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 12:39:41 pm »

Don't know what Media Pro is or if it's ICC aware but the bottom line is, if images appears correct in Photoshop which is ICC aware, you're seeing the numbers correctly.
Could be a display profile issue and bug in Media Pro IF it's said to be ICC aware. If you are building profiles and selecting they conform to V4 instead of V2 spec's, switch, it might work.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 12:50:14 pm »

Could you clarify V2 Vs V4
By the way Media Pro is a DAM sold by Phase One.
There aren't many people that are having this issue. The one common factor that me and one other guy have is we both use hardware calibration on NEC monitors.
BTW I'm using Spectraview II.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 12:53:33 pm »

I only have problems on rebuilding RAW's from the d810... ( the initial thumbnail is correct only on rebuilding it is too saturated+too much contrast)
never had any problems with jpeg- (what colorprofiles do the files have?- what system mac/win?)

you can try to choose in the preferences : media rendering - phase one - for the raws...
in my case ( mac ) the thumbnails from RAW are wrog after rebuilding with both engines

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 12:53:47 pm »

Could you clarify V2 Vs V4
Some products that create ICC display profiles will have a preference or setting for either V2 or V4 profiles. Some software products don’t play well with V4 profiles. Photoshop isn’t one of them, Media Pro might be. If you are using SpectraView, it’s not the problem, it then appears to be a bug or lack of ICC support in that Phase product. Contact them.

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 08:08:50 pm »

I only have problems on rebuilding RAW's from the d810... ( the initial thumbnail is correct only on rebuilding it is too saturated+too much contrast)
never had any problems with jpeg- (what colorprofiles do the files have?- what system mac/win?)

That image of the preferences dialog has an embedded monitor profile. If you are using monitor profiles with your images, that will cause some serious problems.

Brian A

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 09:34:12 pm »

you can try to choose in the preferences : media rendering - phase one - for the raws...
in my case ( mac ) the thumbnails from RAW are wrog after rebuilding with both engines

I've tried every possible setting and combinations of settings. Nothing seems to have an impact.
I'm on a Mac.Pro 5.1
Yosemite 10.10.3, though this problem dates back to Mavericks.
I looked at the data shown in Media Pro and it doesn't specify a Color Space or Color Profile. There are spaces for the information, but the spaces are blank.

hugowolf

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 10:01:09 pm »

I've tried every possible setting and combinations of settings. Nothing seems to have an impact.
I'm on a Mac.Pro 5.1
Yosemite 10.10.3, though this problem dates back to Mavericks.
I looked at the data shown in Media Pro and it doesn't specify a Color Space or Color Profile. There are spaces for the information, but the spaces are blank.

If your software is saving the jpegs, without tagging them with, or embedding a space profile, that will cause problems, especially if they are actually in AdobeRGB. For images with no embedded or tagged profile, a lot of viewers and browsers will assume sRGB.

In Photoshop you can see what an AdobeRGB image will look like when the software assumes sRGB. In the edit menu, Assign Profile, and set it for sRGB. The colors will be off, dull, and muted.

Brian A

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 10:13:38 pm »

If your software is saving the jpegs, without tagging them with, or embedding a space profile, that will cause problems, especially if they are actually in AdobeRGB. For images with no embedded or tagged profile, a lot of viewers and browsers will assume sRGB.

In Photoshop you can see what an AdobeRGB image will look like when the software assumes sRGB. In the edit menu, Assign Profile, and set it for sRGB. The colors will be off, dull, and muted.

Brian A

Thats the thing, every piece of software sees the photo correctly except for media pro.
For giggles, I opened the jpeg in C1, tagged it with adobe RGB, then sent it to Photoshop. I then saved it as a tiff, imbedding  Adobe RGB. I then reimported it back into Media Pro.
Now according to Media Pro, its an Adobe RGB file.
It looked fine until it was imported back into media pro, then it went all Stanley Kubrick on me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:20:13 pm by Jimmy D Uptain »

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 09:46:26 am »

Here's the response from Phase One:

Media Pro is simply a digital asset managment software with very limited colour managment.
While Capture One has full colour managment.
Some difference due to this is to be expected.

So in essence every piece of software on my computer can handle color EXCEPT for the very program that is supposed to manage digital images.
Got it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 09:55:22 am »

So in essence every piece of software on my computer can handle color EXCEPT for the very program that is supposed to manage digital images.
Got it.
You might write back:

Adobe Lightroom (fill in other products) is a digital asset managment software with very robust colour management.
No difference is be expected.

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 08:59:20 am »

I wouldn't leave well enough alone.
The guys at Phase One may have narrowed the problem down.
When exporting to Mail, you have the option of compression vs no compression.
When compression is turned off, the issue is much better.
So that leads me to believe that the color strangeness in the viewer is caused by Media Pro compressing all of the images.
We are still working on it, so hopefully I can give more updates.

D Fosse

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 10:34:29 am »

It's either color managed or not - either using the monitor profile or ignoring it - and by the sound of it, the latter is the case. If you're using wide gamut monitors, that's how it will look.

"Very limited" color management is just another way of saying "er, well...actually it isn't".

Compression doesn't work that way. It doesn't affect color - unless they have CM turned off or on at the same time.

EDIT: Of course, how it looks in the absence of color management depends on the document color space. Still supposing wide gamut monitor, an Adobe RGB file will look roughly OK, sRGB will be oversaturated, and ProPhoto dull.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:35:08 pm by D Fosse »
Pages: [1]   Go Up