Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas coating  (Read 1213 times)

ricky02

Canvas coating
« on: April 12, 2015, 12:24:05 pm »

I´m set on buying a Canon ipf 6450, and for a specific job i will be using Hahnemuhle Monet canvas, would like some advice about printing canvas on the canons and what kind of coating, non altering, for protecting.

Thank you.

Fr

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Re: Canvas coating
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »

there's nothing special you'll need to do to print. calibrated workflow, proper profiles.

use timeless from breathing color and an help sprayer for easiest coating results.

jharrisonphoto

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »

Ditto to Timeless and an HVLP sprayer.  some folks have luck rolling, but I prefer spraying.  2-3 coats depending on how thick it goes on.
There are a few videos around to show technique and distance to be off the canvas.
enjoy
John

dpirazzi

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 03:23:14 pm »

Ditto to Timeless and an HVLP sprayer.  some folks have luck rolling, ...

I'm not one of them - tried multiple tests rolling timeless on Lyve canvas (printed on an 8300 and left to dry overnight), and had ink bleed on every one. The image had lots of dark blue sky against sierra peaks, you did not have to look too close to see the blue bleeding into the lighter colors. Could even see some blue left on the roller.

I've seen others reporting the same problem, Breathing Color is silent on the issue.

Maybe the Hahnemuhle Monet won't have this problem.

Dave

sunsetcoast

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:12:15 am »

Canon inks are known to be heavily pigmented and is not recommended to roll on coating when applying to a smooth canvas.  If the Monet canvas has more texture, you are more likely to get less ink lift.

ricky02

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 04:12:42 am »

Thank you for your replays  :)

ricky02

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 04:15:12 am »

Canon inks are known to be heavily pigmented and is not recommended to roll on coating when applying to a smooth canvas.  If the Monet canvas has more texture, you are more likely to get less ink lift.
I have read about that, but was under the impression that if they dried for 24 hours prior to coating, there will be no ink lift, is that so?

dpirazzi

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 12:32:20 pm »

I let some prints dry for a week before coating, and they still bled when rolling.

On smaller prints where the coating could be rolled out and finished quickly, it was much less noticeable. On larger prints, where it took more time and rolling to even out the coating, it was very noticeable.

ricky02

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 01:21:22 pm »

I let some prints dry for a week before coating, and they still bled when rolling.

On smaller prints where the coating could be rolled out and finished quickly, it was much less noticeable. On larger prints, where it took more time and rolling to even out the coating, it was very noticeable.

...so spray is the solution?

sunsetcoast

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 04:51:45 pm »

Yep, definitely set up a small spray area.  You may not get ink lift with the Monet Canvas and Canon, I don't know if it's an ultra smooth canvas or not, etc. 

Experiment with a high density foam roller and if you have problems get the Wagner HPLV spray gun. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up