Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF Contax 645 45mm f2.8 lens on Sony A7R issue/question  (Read 1812 times)

andred2809

MF Contax 645 45mm f2.8 lens on Sony A7R issue/question
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:56:34 am »

I have just bought a Contax 645 45mm f2.8 distagon MF lens for my A7R, I have the following setup :
Lens >
Kipon contax 645 to Nikon F adaptor >
Nikon F to Sony E Kipon tilt/shift adaptor >
Sony A7R Body
I have 2 issues,the first one being that the lens aperture can only be controlled via electronics, meaning that I have to use the IRIS built in to the 'standard' adaptor (not t/s adaptor) to stop down the lens. I have been out shooting test shots this weekend and when I stop it down small enough to give what I think is around f11 (its guess work as the kipon adaptor is just numbers 1-6) I am getting SEVERE vignetting around the edges, any idea?
The second issue is that when tilting the lens down, the whole frame is moving down with it ( unlike what happens with say a canon 24mm t/s lens), i'm guessing that mounting the lens direct to the tripod will help this, so that I use the camera body to do the tilting rather than the lens? the only problem is that its nion impossible to rig a lens collar to the 2 adaptors I have, can I buy say a contax 645 to contax 645 adaptor that has a lens collar attached, so that I can attach that to the tripod.
Hope that makes sense. Andy

Theodoros

Re: MF Contax 645 45mm f2.8 lens on Sony A7R issue/question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 04:13:14 am »

I have just bought a Contax 645 45mm f2.8 distagon MF lens for my A7R, I have the following setup :
Lens >
Kipon contax 645 to Nikon F adaptor >
Nikon F to Sony E Kipon tilt/shift adaptor >
Sony A7R Body
I have 2 issues,the first one being that the lens aperture can only be controlled via electronics, meaning that I have to use the IRIS built in to the 'standard' adaptor (not t/s adaptor) to stop down the lens. I have been out shooting test shots this weekend and when I stop it down small enough to give what I think is around f11 (its guess work as the kipon adaptor is just numbers 1-6) I am getting SEVERE vignetting around the edges, any idea?
The second issue is that when tilting the lens down, the whole frame is moving down with it ( unlike what happens with say a canon 24mm t/s lens), i'm guessing that mounting the lens direct to the tripod will help this, so that I use the camera body to do the tilting rather than the lens? the only problem is that its nion impossible to rig a lens collar to the 2 adaptors I have, can I buy say a contax 645 to contax 645 adaptor that has a lens collar attached, so that I can attach that to the tripod.
Hope that makes sense. Andy

Unfortunately, there is an issue with your set up Andy, you have some of the image circle blocked by the adapter. The Kipon adapter doesn't allow the whole image circle of the lens to "hit" the light sensitive area. (especially if one uses the "aperture" blades of it).

There is a way to get automatic aperture control (and AF) using Contax lenses on the Sony, but not by using a shift tilt adapter.

I use all my Contax lenses on Nikon bodies with full dedication of both aperture and AF using the JAS adapter, one may do the same on Canon by using (again) the JAS adapter for Canon, then one can use the Metabones adapter in series with the JAS for Canon one and retain dedication of aperture and AF with Sony A-7, but there can't be movements ability with dedication combined... You'll get rid of the Kipon's aperture control blades though.

It is highly possible, that there will be an automatic aperture control adapter provided for the Cambo Actus, which will probably be offered for Contax 645 lenses too... That would provide an excellent solution for one to have trouble free movements on his Sony A....

Theodoros

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 01:13:26 pm »

You may find this discussion helpful http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-digital-backs/53400-image-circle-contax-645-lens.html it is on the abilities that Contax lenses have with movements on sensors that are much larger than FF...

andred2809

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 04:21:30 pm »

thanks for the feedback folks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up