Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd artefacts caused by home made camera profile  (Read 1042 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Odd artefacts caused by home made camera profile
« on: April 10, 2015, 05:13:37 pm »

Hi,

I have noticed this oddball artefact on an out of focus area on a P45+ file:

After checking some options I found that it went away when I was using Adobe Standard Profiles.

All my profiles I have generated with ColorChecker Passport, Adobe DNG Editor and QPCard produced similar artefacts, and so did Capture One 8.1.

If anyone is interested, the raw file is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDLook/20150407-CF046278.iiq

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Odd artefacts caused by home made camera profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:09:46 pm »

Hi,

I have noticed similar artifacts even with adobe provided dcp profiles (those that emulate the original camera profiles). The issue seems to occur with very saturated colors that are near the boundary of the color gamut. It almost looks as if the image was edited in 16 bits only when using the adobe standard profile.

The following images show a crop of an out of focus area of saturated artificial lights. LR 5.7, no edits applied

Using Adobe standard profile the the colors are saturated and smooth:

Using Camera Landscape (Nikon D800) there is adramatic change in saturation and banding appears:

The effect is even more dramatic when using a wide gamut monitor

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 10:11:11 pm »

Okay, I'll bite. Why the LR forum?
Nothing changes until something changes.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 10:23:22 pm »

Okay, I'll bite. Why the LR forum?

Because that's the application used

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 10:51:20 pm »

I've gotten that artifact as well using custom DNG profiles with my 2006 Pentax K100D Raws with the newest DNG PE Wizard. In fact I've kept my old custom profiles when I created them under ACR 4.6 which back then used the original DNG PE where folks complained about over saturated results. Wish I could download that version somewhere.

Now the newer DNG PE Wizard created custom profiles gives less saturated results on the CCchart (still not accurate to Lab numbers) and are almost similar to the original ACR 4.4 only the reds aren't orange but now my skin tones have a dull maroon-ish blotchy texture.

I just went back to using ACR 4.4 profile and REALLY got serious and careful to commit to memory taking note at the time of capture what actual D50 daylight landscape tree foliage and bark is suppose to look like which surprisingly was correct with ACR 4.4 if only I could find the proper green/magenta tint slider position going by the preview. Clicking for R=G=B on a neutral doesn't get it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up