Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod suggestions?  (Read 9938 times)

StarScapes

Tripod suggestions?
« on: April 10, 2015, 12:40:49 pm »

I'm in search of a new carbon fiber tripod. For a head I'm leaning towards the MF 410 Junior because the independent axis control via gears is very appealing to me (although I'm certainly open to other suggestions). Goal is good stability without too much weight as the primary use is for hiking trips. I'll be shooting with a Sony a7R and native Sony glass (16-35 and 70-200).

Suggestions appreciated!

shadowblade

Re: Tripod suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 12:47:56 pm »

Can't go wrong with the RRS TVC-34L. Nice, long legs for shooting over things (or for when one leg ends up wedged down between boulders or in a crevasse) and extremely stable even for long exposures.

The only time it's failed me is when gusts were hitting 200kph at sunrise in Torres del Paine...

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 12:51:30 pm »

Look at this site for a review on ball heads:  http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8192473209/battle-of-the-titans-top-ball-heads-tested

I'd go for a heavy one as you can add something like a Wimberly SideKick gimbal to it which works well with the heavier 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses or with more tele if needed.

The Siri units aren't bad for the heads or their tripods.  A lot less than the RRS ones that sell for 3 times the price too, albeit China made vs. RRS USA made.  The flange that attaches the Siri legs to the yoke on the Siri looks a bit stronger than the RRS one too as it looked longer to me in person against the RRS TV-33 one.

I'd look for fewer leg extensions to keep shake down and for rapid setup, and watch for where they put things like bubble levels that might get covered up by the camera so you have to take stuff off to look and then reassemble and hope the bubble didn't go for a walk in doing so.

SG

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 01:00:49 pm »

Can't go wrong with the RRS TVC-34L. Nice, long legs for shooting over things (or for when one leg ends up wedged down between boulders or in a crevasse) and extremely stable even for long exposures.

+1, but at about 5'8" I chose the TVC-33 to save some weight, and I have a rather enormous and heavy Gitzo to use if I don't need to carry it for miles.
- Dean

shadowblade

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 01:17:41 pm »

+1, but at about 5'8" I chose the TVC-33 to save some weight, and I have a rather enormous and heavy Gitzo to use if I don't need to carry it for miles.

I sometimes use mine way above head height (standing on rocks, chairs, other people, etc. to reach the camera) in order to get the right vantage point or to shoot over obstacles.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 02:59:35 pm »

I sometimes use mine way above head height (standing on rocks, chairs, other people, etc. to reach the camera) in order to get the right vantage point or to shoot over obstacles.

Yes, too tall is always better than too short. The need for height is why I kept the old Gitzo around. With that the viewfinder can go well over the top of my head. I don't need it often, but at times it's invaluable. I debated quite a bit about height when I got the RRS. The TVC-33 puts the viewfinder so I can see through it if I stand on my toes, and it's actually the smallest tripod I've got so it's what I use when I hike and travel. It sounds like the TVC-34L fills the same function for you, and all I can say is "Bravo!". It's ideal. Unfortunately I'm not getting any younger and lately I've been looking to shed a little weight when it doesn't cause too many photography related compromises.  At times I feel fortunate that I can still haul anything to a great location!
- Dean

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 03:52:03 pm »

No doubt that the TVC 3 series is a great stable platform----but it's also way overkill for your stated camera (Sony A7r) and intended purpose for hiking.  But you know what they say, "Go big or go home!"  ;D

I'd suggest the TVC-24 (or even TQC-14). It's plenty stable for even a much larger camera than your A7r.  I use a Phase DF and Cambo WRS on a TVC-24 and TVC-33.

The Manfrotto 410 is heavy----it's heavier than the AS Cube! And not nearly as capable.  The 410 will be top-heavy on the TVC-2 series.

If using nothing but a small camera, you might want to consider the Sunwayfoto GH-Pro, a fairly small and lightweight geared head. It is inexpensive compared to other geared options.  I'm about to release a detailed review on my blog on the KPS T5 geared ballhead, which is much closer to the Cube in both quality and capability. More expensive than the 410, but much lighter than the 410, and hugely more capable.  The T5 is fine on the RRS TVC 2 series.

ken

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:10:17 pm »

I use a RRS TVC 24L with BH40 head (sometimes BH55) for my a7r kit.

StarScapes

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:15:04 pm »

The Manfrotto 410 is heavy----it's heavier than the AS Cube! And not nearly as capable.

Cube = $1700
410 = $270

I would hope that the Cube is lighter, more capable, and gold plated with that huge price difference!

Thank you for the Sunwayfoto GH-Pro suggestion. I will look into it.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:21:52 pm »

No doubt that the TVC 3 series is a great stable platform----but it's also way overkill for your stated camera (Sony A7r) and intended purpose for hiking.  But you know what they say, "Go big or go home!"  ;D

I'd suggest the TVC-24 (or even TQC-14). It's plenty stable for even a much larger camera than your A7r. 

Agreed!

The Gitzo carbons are also good options. I have found them to behave better than my RRS tripods in snow/freezing weather when the RRS tend to get frozen stuck in position too often.

Cheers,
Bernard

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 05:55:40 am »

The Siri units aren't bad for the heads or their tripods.  A lot less than the RRS ones that sell for 3 times the price too, albeit China made vs. RRS USA made.  The flange that attaches the Siri legs to the yoke on the Siri looks a bit stronger than the RRS one too as it looked longer to me in person against the RRS TV-33 one.

If you mean 'Sirui', I agree.  I had a Manfrotto 055CXPRO3  (stolen :( ) and replaced it with the equivalent Sirui plus G10X head.  I like it.

kbolin

• http://www.bolinphoto.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:27 pm »

I keep buying the Glitzo's and find them solid and mostly reliable.  I say "mostly" reliable as I've had two different carbon fibre Glitzo's that have had the glue come loose where the leg goes into the base thus allowing the leg to spin in the base.  This then makes it a two handed job to twist the leg locks (one to hold the leg the other to twist the lock).  I always carry gaffer tape with me for these sort of quick in the field repair and all is good again.  As I always have a need for my tripod I just haven't taken time to send them in for repair.

wolfbellw.

• http://www.wolfgang-bellwinkel.de
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 02:57:03 pm »

i bought an flm a while ago and it's great.
roughly 1.90 m high without the center column
and just about 2 kilos. german made and still reasonable priced.
http://www.flm-gmbh.de/de/produkte/stative/sondergrossen-der-serie-30/cp30-xl4s/
the manfrotto head is a decent head for architecture, but yes its heavy. too heavy if a good ballhead -
that probably has half the weight -  can do the job.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 03:55:34 pm »

Ken,

Very informative review.  Thank you for taking the time.
What is the clamp you're now using with your Surface 2?
It appears in one of the photographs.

Thanks again.

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

dwswager

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »

I also have a TVC-34L.  Never disappointed that my tripod is too tall.  Been disappointed many times because my tripod was too short.  Considering that it replaced a tripod almost twice the weight and not as tall, I don't mind a little bit of extra weight over the TVC-33.  Depending on the environmental conditions, the TVC-24L would work too.

Boykinally

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 05:38:08 pm »

I'm using a RRS TVC-34L and a Arca Swiss D4 gear head with my A7r and Canon lenses. I used a 410 jr for 10 years and love the lighter D4 head. Also used a smaller Gitzo smaller carbon tripod that didn't have near the hight of the 34L and wouldn't go back. Hard to beat this combo but would look into the knock off of the D4 gear head to save $800.

JNHenry

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 07:28:02 pm »

I have the RSS TVC-24L with BH-40 and love it.  Works perfectly with the a7R.  Extends to a great height, yet is pretty lightweight.

I recently picked up the RSS TQC-14, which I use with the same BH-40 head.  So far, my initial testing indicate it's also quite good with the a7r.  Very lightweight.  Only downside to the -14 is that it is short. 

Can't go wrong with either.

Jeff

StarScapes

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:48 am »

After looking at a bunch of tripods I've settled on the TVC-24L as suggested here. For the head I'm between the BH-40 LR and the BH-40 PCLR. Other than the weight difference is there any downside to the BH-40 PCLR when compared to the LR?

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 04:03:34 am »

In my SLR and DSLR days I used a Gitzo Series 3 CF and Kirk ball head. Since I went the Sony A/ system way, I bought a smaller Gitzo tripod from the Basalt series, with a smaller Acratech ball head. Very happy.

Herbc

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 10:52:13 am »

As a  landscape shooter, I find the geared heads much to my liking.  I have the Sunway now, probably will upgrade to Arca D1 later.  I had an Arca Cube, found it too heavy and too fiddly.

all a matter of personal taste. 8)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up