Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raws on ipad  (Read 11506 times)

Evanford

Raws on ipad
« on: April 10, 2015, 11:57:53 am »

Glad to to see this forum open.  The mobile platform is intriguing to me as a way to save time.  For the past 6 years (since my boys were born and photography took on a new meaning to me) I have been keeping up with all of my raw editing in LightRoom.    That changed this past year.  I am currently behind in my editing.    I am still processing images from 6/29/14 to be exact - part of our family two week vacation to California.  After that I have another California trip I took solo in the fall.  I'm way behind and our next family vacation is only three months away, yikes!

During our last trip I downloaded most of my images directly to my iPad so I could upload to Facebook as we were vacationing. This worked well.  Many of the photos looked good as is.  A great many others only needed minor tweaking.   So i thought when I got home I could download those jpgs and make these minor adjustments and be done with it.  Wrong!   I assume the iPad is reading the imbedded jpg in my 5DMkIII files, but when I copied the files back to my computer it is the full raw file.  This meant I had to start my editing from scratch in LightRoom.  I spend a great deal of time just getting images to look like the iPad version. 

Reading the recent article on mobile photography has me exploring editing options on the iPad itself.  If I understand things correctly I could use Photoshop Express or Snapseed to make the minor edits I was mentioning.  Then after saving the edited version to my camera roll - this has got to be jpg, right? - I can copy to my pc for cataloging in LightRoom.

Will this method work?  Or is there a better way?  My goal is to quickly access snapshots while preserving the raw images of all photos.  Then I can spend my time in LightRoom only on those photos that need LightRoom processing.   

Thanks,

Evan 

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Raws on ipad
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 01:11:54 pm »

Evan,
Mylio offers a lot of what you are interested in.  The Luminous-Landscape team is heading to Mylio next week for a visit. We hope to bring back a lot of info and video regarding the topic you are referring to.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 03:03:29 am »

One Lightroom workflow that has surprised me is how many people have shot raw+JPEG, adjusted the JPEGs in Lightroom Mobile on their iPads, and then used my Syncomatic plugin to copy the adjustments, ratings and flags to the raw files in Lightroom. In fact I had so many enquiries that I altered the plugin to make the task easier.

sandymc

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 04:50:50 am »

If you want to actually see and edit the raw file on an iPad, you need something like PhotoRaw. (Note: PhotoRaw is my product). Solutions like LR Mobile, etc only work on the JPEG preview, which may be fine for what you need, but isn't quite the same as working on the actual raw.

Sandy

Ann JS

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 04:22:03 pm »

I only ever shoot RAW and use Sandy's excellent PhotoRaw to process copies of any NEFs that I wish to have access to on my iPad while travelling.

The easiest way that I have found to upload duplicate NEFs directly from my D3S to an iPad is via WiFi with a CamRanger.

Once on the iPad, I convert the NEF to a JPG and trash the duplicated NEF (to save space on the iPad).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 05:18:02 pm »

Solutions like LR Mobile, etc only work on the JPEG preview, which may be fine for what you need, but isn't quite the same as working on the actual raw.
Agreed, not the same by a long shot IMHO. Plus you have to bring the raws into LR proper, build Smart Previews, sync, just to start working on the iPad. Talk about a suction of your time, to edit a non raw that’s kind of like a raw, then sync back to LR proper. Pass.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 03:51:32 am »

Solutions like LR Mobile, etc only work on the JPEG preview, which may be fine for what you need, but isn't quite the same as working on the actual raw.

Thank goodness it isn't - I've no intention to upgrade a perfectly-good 32Gb iPad to handle D800 files. LrMobile works well as a loop away from the desktop, and for that the smart previews are a well-balanced solution.

Evanford

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 12:20:38 pm »

With that said however, I am not sure how useful any of this really is.  I notice images edited on my desktop in the usually way (raws in Lightroom, color management, exported jpgs moved to the ipad via itunes sync) look good on the ipad.   Perhaps a little more contrasty and a tad brighter; but they still look good.  The same can not be said of images edited on the Ipad and transferred back to my desk top.  Sure, jpgs pop on the ipad; but once these unedited - or lightly edited jpgs - get back to a color managed desk top they look like crap - very dull, unsaturated, bad white balances, etc..   Yuk. 

I guess this makes sense as the ipad is not color managed.  I also wonder that the Photosync utility is doing to the images.  Does it convert to sRGB?  Does it just ignore color profiles all together?  If the ipad apps are working on the stripped out jpg of my raws it should be tagged with sRGB.  What if I set my camera to adobe RGB? 

As an experiment I used PhotoSync to transfer a tiff of a well known color reference image.  It's one from Bill Atkinson I think.  It has a bunch of images on it.  One with bright yellow trees, another of orange-red sandstone from perhaps Arches National park in America.  Another image has bright red strawberries.  You guys would know this image.  Anyway, after using photosync to move it to my ipad it didn't look good at all.  Using the ipad's default photo viewer the image was all pixelated.  Not sure what the issue is there.  Using Snapseed the image displayed okay but the red of the strawberries changed from bright red to very dark red with less saturation.   Definitely some color management issues there. 

For my next experiment I am going to print some of these ipad edited photos and see how they look. 

Evanford

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 12:23:05 pm »

Whoops.  My first paragraph got cut off.  Sorry about that .  Here is how  my post should read.

Did some playing around over the weekend. There are some great apps for editing and transferring files to/from the ipad.  Snapseed 2.0 has lots of features including Google/Nik U-point technology.  Photoshop Express has less features but has all the basics.  Photosync makes transferring photos between the ipad and pc a breeze.  It's nice that I can edit a photo on my couch and wirelessly transfer it to my pc connected to the same home network.

With that said however, I am not sure how useful any of this really is.  I notice images edited on my desktop in the usually way (raws in Lightroom, color management, exported jpgs moved to the ipad via itunes sync) look good on the ipad.   Perhaps a little more contrasty and a tad brighter; but they still look good.  The same can not be said of images edited on the Ipad and transferred back to my desk top.  Sure, jpgs pop on the ipad; but once these unedited - or lightly edited jpgs - get back to a color managed desk top they look like crap - very dull, unsaturated, bad white balances, etc..   Yuk.

I guess this makes sense as the ipad is not color managed.  I also wonder that the Photosync utility is doing to the images.  Does it convert to sRGB?  Does it just ignore color profiles all together?  If the ipad apps are working on the stripped out jpg of my raws it should be tagged with sRGB.  What if I set my camera to adobe RGB?

As an experiment I used PhotoSync to transfer a tiff of a well known color reference image.  It's one from Bill Atkinson I think.  It has a bunch of images on it.  One with bright yellow trees, another of orange-red sandstone from perhaps Arches National park in America.  Another image has bright red strawberries.  You guys would know this image.  Anyway, after using photosync to move it to my ipad it didn't look good at all.  Using the ipad's default photo viewer the image was all pixelated.  Not sure what the issue is there.  Using Snapseed the image displayed okay but the red of the strawberries changed from bright red to very dark red with less saturation.   Definitely some color management issues there.

For my next experiment I am going to print some of these ipad edited photos and see how they look. 

Paul Gessler

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 08:28:16 pm »

Whoops.  My first paragraph got cut off.  Sorry about that . 

Just FYI: you can edit your posts any time. Click "Modify" at the top right of your post and make any changes you need. Cheers!

elolaugesen

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 02:23:58 am »

Hi:  re using images for display on Ipad.

I know that most here do not trust colors from DATA Color Spyder etc.   However they do have an APP  called SpyderGallery(not updated since 2013) which using Spyder 3 or 4 colorimeter allows you to calibrate all images shown only in SpyderGallery.  Simplistic but it give consistent colors and better than the default colors on the IPAD2 and IPADAir.   I have about 100+ images that I can show artists or clients etc..... 

cheers Elo
Pages: [1]   Go Up