Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too Cute?  (Read 11479 times)

GillesGC

• http://
Too Cute?
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:51:39 pm »

[attachment=200:attachment]It was my first day with a new camera I was trying out so I was focusing this shot with the intent on gauging the dynamic range of the camera.  In addition, I was timing the waves to catch the curl going over.  It wasn't until several days later that I saw the cloud formation.  So, it resembles Pegasus, but does that work?  I revealed a bit of the shadow detail here to show the beach better and doged a lens flare out.  But I guess I wonder if it's too cute?  I am not into fantasy or even horses for that matter, but maybe other people...(customers!) might like it.  Thoughts! Opinions?

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Too Cute?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 02:42:19 pm »

Don't think cute is the problem, if indeed there IS a problem. Pegasus is pretty subtle, however--might, er, fly past most viewers.

It's probably a problem of dynamic range, or of the uncalibrated monitor on which I'm writing this at work; but the whole image seems a bit muddy. It's as if you've not yet found the ideal compromise between highlight detail and shadow detail.

Otherwise it's a nice shot of the seashore.
michael sebast

jdemott

Too Cute?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 02:56:04 pm »

It seems that scarcely a week goes by without a report that someone, somewhere, has discovered a pretzel or a piece of popcorn or a stain on the pavement or whatever that bears a "miraculous" resemblence to a religious or historical figure.  So, perhaps one of those credulous folks will be moved to buy a photo of a mythical beast in the clouds.  But not me.
John DeMott

GillesGC

Too Cute?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 04:46:20 pm »

Pretzels and Popcorn aside   it was a whimsical inquiry out of curiosity.  Thanks for your comments.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Too Cute?
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 09:58:12 pm »

It's probably a problem of dynamic range, or of the uncalibrated monitor on which I'm writing this at work; but the whole image seems a bit muddy. It's as if you've not yet found the ideal compromise between highlight detail and shadow detail.

I want to be kind - Mike is correct on this however. Can't imagine that brown foreground and blazing sun hanging on the wall.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

GillesGC

Too Cute?
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 11:35:05 pm »

I want to be kind - Mike is correct on this however. Can't imagine that brown foreground and blazing sun hanging on the wall.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56962\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Off to an interesting start with my first post.  I never considered anyone would think it was a good photo.  I perhaps should have posted somewhere else.  The photo, sucks quite frankly.  I was flipping through the shots with some other folks interested in the camera's quality and I was asked by a couple people for a copy.  Now mind you I am not going to judge their tastes.  But it sparked a curiousity in my to see if anyone else had a similar experience. I have attached another photo from the same day playing with that new camera.  Once again, I do appreciate the comments, just wasn't expecting it to be taken too seriously.
Thanks
Gilles

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Too Cute?
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 02:14:26 am »

[It was my first day with a new camera I was trying out so I was focusing this shot with the intent on gauging the dynamic range of the camera.  In addition, I was timing the waves to catch the curl going over.  It wasn't until several days later that I saw the cloud formation.  So, it resembles Pegasus, but does that work?  I revealed a bit of the shadow detail here to show the beach better and doged a lens flare out.  But I guess I wonder if it's too cute?  I am not into fantasy or even horses for that matter, but maybe other people...(customers!) might like it.  Thoughts! Opinions?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56915\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Off to an interesting start with my first post. I never considered anyone would think it was a good photo. I perhaps should have posted somewhere else. The photo, sucks quite frankly.
Gilles, you did mention shadow detail, dodging and lens flare - so you were in fact eluding to the technical nature of your image.  Comments were made in this regard. What sort of response were you actually wanting?

Once again, I do appreciate the comments, just wasn't expecting it to be taken too seriously.
You did ask for 'thoughts/opinions', so how would you not expect to be taken seriously? Most contributors who offer comment, opinions and constructive criticism often take considerable thought and time in doing so, and view every request for response seriously.

To the image - I personally don't think it works. I had trouble actually even seeing the pegasus for some time. I would not be a customer due to the unappealing, muddied colours in the image and the pegasus just is too obscure for me.

Julie

jdemott

Too Cute?
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 01:40:07 pm »

Off to an interesting start with my first post.

Gilles, I wondered if I had been too flip in my earlier response, particularly since it was your first post.  Generally I try to make some (hopefully) constructive comments.  But you described the photo as basically a test shot, which you recognize has some technical flaws,  with a mildly amusing pattern in the distant clouds, so I didn't take it too seriously.

The second photo you posted is much more interesting.  Actually, I see it as two different photos--one about the beach and one about the sky--and I would suggest you try some alternative crops to see whether you like either or both of them as separate photos.  If you crop out most of the sky (cropping just above the sun), then you have a very nice scene with some sweeping diagonals on the beach, nice reflections of the sky, and the interesting line of rocks, the shapes of which are echoed along the horizon.  Overall it is a very moody shot and I think represents the best part of the scene.  OTOH, if you crop just below the main line of rocks, you have a shot that also includes the rocks and the horizon, but which emphasizes the fan-like shape of the sun's rays illuminating the clouds.  In that case I would be inclined to do some more work in Photoshop to emphasize the dramatic quality of those rays.  As it is now, I think the two halves of the shot compete with each other.  Also, with the horizon splitting the photo into two roughly equal parts and the sun appearing roughly on the center axis vertically, the composition has a rather static feeling.

Hope this helps.  Welcome to Luminous Landscape.
John DeMott

bob mccarthy

Too Cute?
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 02:32:43 pm »

Try cropping out the upper 20% (to below the jet contrail). Might give better balance as well as eliminating the straight line across the sky. How much detail exists in the dark forground that we can't see?

bob

GillesGC

Too Cute?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 06:22:15 pm »

Try cropping out the upper 20% (to below the jet contrail). Might give better balance as well as eliminating the straight line across the sky. How much detail exists in the dark forground that we can't see?
bob
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57008\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Unfortunately I currently don't own Photoshop.  I plan on trying to have in February and will try out the great comments on the (I'm glad I thought to post it) second shot.  I will also be able to get out any details in the shadows that are worth playing with.  And thanks so much for the additional comments.  I have a bit of a twisted sense of humor which resulted in the posting in the first place.  So thanks sincerely to all for comments.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
Too Cute?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 06:49:04 am »

Unfortunately I currently don't own Photoshop.  I plan on trying to have in February and will try out the great comments on the (I'm glad I thought to post it) second shot.  I will also be able to get out any details in the shadows that are worth playing with.  And thanks so much for the additional comments.  I have a bit of a twisted sense of humor which resulted in the posting in the first place.  So thanks sincerely to all for comments.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57018\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gilles, Thought since you haven't photoshop at present, I did a few quick crops for you to have a look at. I didn't have time to do anything else.
[attachment=207:attachment][attachment=208:attachment][attachment=209:attachment
]
Julie

GillesGC

Too Cute?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 11:40:26 am »

Gilles, Thought since you haven't photoshop at present, I did a few quick crops for you to have a look at. I didn't have time to do anything else.
[attachment=207:attachment][attachment=208:attachment][attachment=209:attachment
]
Julie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That makes a big difference, thanks so much Julie and to all.  I find the work of the lanscape artists here very inspirational and motivating.  I"ve been trying to get out and learn more everyday as a result.

oldcsar

Too Cute?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 02:11:17 am »

Hi Gilles. The photo has a fairly tight composition... I like the fact that the whitecap is positioned to be a focal object... it almost seems like a separate object from the rest of the scene. I also find the sun's position interesting in relation to the wave, the angle of the beach against the edges of the water, and the golden horizons.

Cutesy? I would say that it might possibly verge on cliche, if one agrees that photographs can be as cliched as writing can be. However, even though I've seen beach scenes very similar to this, several times over, I don't usually see such attention to focal objects and their relation to each other... it's generally just a beach scene by the water, with the setting sun and so on... looks pretty, but it's far too wide angled and nothing takes enough stage to bring it out of "postcard" status. I can tell that this wasn't just a snap of a pretty scene, but you considered the objects in front of you and arranged them. That's what makes me think this is a little more than your average beach sunset snap. If a shining sun, warm fluffly clouds, gentle waves, and an inviting portrayal of a scene qualify as cutesy... yes, this is cutesy. That's not a problem on its own, it's just a matter of what you want to do with it.

By the way, where did you take this photo? I happen to live in B.C. as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 02:11:46 am by oldcsar »
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

GillesGC

Too Cute?
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 02:10:17 pm »

By the way, where did you take this photo? I happen to live in B.C. as well.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57088\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]
Thanks for comments, I am in Vancouver and the picture is at Wreck Beach.  It's a quick hop down the road for those oh too rare days of sunshine this winter.  Thanks for noticing that the beach scene isn't just a quick snap,  I am focusing on getting better at composition.  Your comments much appreciated.
Gilles
Pages: [1]   Go Up