Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OK, then: Southern Nevada. Besides Red Rock Canyon and VOF.....  (Read 1720 times)

Mjollnir

what can anyone recommend?

We've accumulated a few metric tons of free room stays/free meals/etc... for various places in Vegas (a place I passionately hate to my core), so we have the opportunity to use it as a base for 3-4 day trips.

In a few weeks we'll be at Little Finland for the first time, possibly venturing out as far as the Grand Wash Cliffs, and we've got Cathedral Gorge state park in our sights as well.

Is there anything else out there people have found worthwhile?  Kingston Road, perhaps? We have a semi-modded 4wd Jeep and are happy to take it waaaay out there.

Lovell Wash?  Bowl of Fire, something I just found out about?

Anyone?

acktdi

• alvinchanphoto.com
Re: OK, then: Southern Nevada. Besides Red Rock Canyon and VOF.....
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 12:49:42 pm »

Nelson Ghost Town near Boulder City is worth a look.

henkelphoto

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 04:33:41 pm »

If you hurry you could check out Death Valley. The best way to get into it is to drive up to Beatty and take the road to Ryolite. It is an interesting ghost town to check. However, then you want to take the road through Titus Canyon into Death Valley. Titus Canyon narrows to about 12 feet in a couple of places and is not a place to be during a rain storm so if you decide to do this, be sure to check the weather in the area. Flash floods can occur even when the rain is miles away. There's a ghost town on the way to the canyon and petroglyphs in the canyon (although they've been damaged by idiots scribbling their graffiti on the glyphs.)

There's a cool road over the Spring Mtns (Mt. Charleston) from Cold Creek via Wheeler Pass to Pahrump. I haven't been on that road in years and cannot say if it's washed out or not, but it is definitely something you would want to do in a Jeep--mostly a rock trail on the front side and lots of sand on the backside.

Mjollnir

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:17:53 pm »

If you hurry you could check out Death Valley. The best way to get into it is to drive up to Beatty and take the road to Ryolite. It is an interesting ghost town to check. However, then you want to take the road through Titus Canyon into Death Valley. Titus Canyon narrows to about 12 feet in a couple of places and is not a place to be during a rain storm so if you decide to do this, be sure to check the weather in the area. Flash floods can occur even when the rain is miles away. There's a ghost town on the way to the canyon and petroglyphs in the canyon (although they've been damaged by idiots scribbling their graffiti on the glyphs.)

There's a cool road over the Spring Mtns (Mt. Charleston) from Cold Creek via Wheeler Pass to Pahrump. I haven't been on that road in years and cannot say if it's washed out or not, but it is definitely something you would want to do in a Jeep--mostly a rock trail on the front side and lots of sand on the backside.

Thanks.  I should have been more specific.  I know Death Valley fairly well.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 10:22:37 am »

The Lou Ruvo Center For Brain Research in Las Vegas is one of the Ghery buildings. Not to be missed if you enjoy very interesting architecture.

Mjollnir

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:03 pm »

The Lou Ruvo Center For Brain Research in Las Vegas is one of the Ghery buildings. Not to be missed if you enjoy very interesting architecture.

Ack!  That is awesome.  Thanks!

Never even heard of it until now, but I've only ever 'used' Vegas for conventions, sleeping and eat.  Never looked around the city at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up