Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soft Proofing in Capture One 8.2  (Read 2172 times)

jansson

Soft Proofing in Capture One 8.2
« on: April 08, 2015, 03:55:30 pm »

I would like to work in Adobe RGB (or Prophoto RGB) and then do a soft proofing with the selected paper/(ink/printer).

I want to either
a) look at the two images side by side - "RGB" and  "selected paper"
or b) look at them with a quick swap "RGB/"selected paper".

I would like to do it on an image by image basis, and not changing every image to "selected paper".

Anybody know if this can be done in CO 8.2?

tho_mas

Re: Soft Proofing in Capture One 8.2
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 05:25:37 pm »

I would like to work in Adobe RGB (or Prophoto RGB) and then do a soft proofing with the selected paper/(ink/printer).

I want to either
a) look at the two images side by side - "RGB" and  "selected paper"
or b) look at them with a quick swap "RGB/"selected paper".

I would like to do it on an image by image basis, and not changing every image to "selected paper".

Anybody know if this can be done in CO 8.2?
well, C1 actually doesn't provide "softproofing" as you know it from Photoshop or Lightroom or so.
The actual dialogue is called "proof", not "softproof" ... and maybe it's even called "proof" for a reason.
All a "proof" will do in C1 is to preview the conversion of your RAW to a certain profile seleceted in the "proof" dialogue (with the rendering intend choosen in the prefs).
While it can be very useful to preview the conversion to a certain printer profile it still has nothing to do with the preview options Photoshop and (in a limited way) Lightroom provide when softproofing ... namely the simulaton of "paper white" and the so called "black ink" of a printer profile.

If previewing the conversion to a printer profile is what you aim at the best way to go back and forth is this:
- set your desired rendering intend in the prefs of C1 (I assume "perceptual" is what you want...)
- create a new "process recipe" (tool: "process recepies") and set your printer profile in question as target color space in the "process recipe" tool (see attachment ... "Epson Trad PRINT" in this exapmle is the naming of the process recipe and below you can see the actual profile choosen ("Epson_Traf_Photo_neu")...)
- click on your main process recipe (AdobeRGB in your case) and then click on the printer profile's recipe (click on the name so that the entry is marked in orange)... and then click back on your AdobeRGB-recipe

hope that helps...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:28:30 pm by tho_mas »

jansson

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:42:18 pm »

Thanks Tho_mas, but sorry it does not help.

If i do "view"/"proof" I am changing the image I am looking at (and all other images) to display in the selected profile. I can not see the image in "Adobe" and "selected profile" next to each other (even if I try to do two variants). If I instead try shift between the profiles, it is not an immediate swap and it takes some meny rolling as well.

It does not seem possible, in which case I hope that PhaseOne thinks it is a good idea and implements it into Capture One soon.

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:08:12 pm »

If i do "view"/"proof" I am changing the image I am looking at (and all other images) to display in the selected profile. I can not see the image in "Adobe" and "selected profile" next to each other
correct - this is simply not possible! The selceted process recipe as well as the "proof" setting as well as the rending intend in C1's prefs are global. You can't assign different profiles to individual images within one session/catalogue.
This is why I've posted a workaround so that you can easily switch between AdobeRGB and your printer profile without the need to access the proof menu. But - as always in C1 - the switch is global, so all images are affected.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:41:02 pm by tho_mas »
Pages: [1]   Go Up