Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lone Church  (Read 2512 times)

Jeevz

• Sanjeev Deo Photography
Lone Church
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:36:38 pm »

Another shot from the Portuguese coast.
This is Zambujeira do Mar.  It was part of our walk from Odeceixe to Porto Covo; along the Rota Vicentina trail.

Lone Church by Sanjeev Deo on 500px

Let me know what you think!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Lone Church
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 02:58:46 pm »

Lovely tonalities and nice mood.

If I may suggest a few things: darken very slightly the church wall and fence facing us, leaving the front (facing the sunset) the same. That would create a better sense of depth. Also, perhaps (just perhaps) a slightly more pastel rendering, i.e., less contrasty and saturated, might contribute toward a better sense of place and the moment. Just a thought.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 06:56:00 pm »

Lovely tonalities and nice mood.

If I may suggest a few things: darken very slightly the church wall and fence facing us, leaving the front (facing the sunset) the same. That would create a better sense of depth. Also, perhaps (just perhaps) a slightly more pastel rendering, i.e., less contrasty and saturated, might contribute toward a better sense of place and the moment. Just a thought.

Beautiful work, Sanjeev. I agree with what Slobodan suggests.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

robdickinson

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:41:34 pm »

Like it, the suggestions could work too

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 04:35:14 am »

The Costa Vicentina is one of my favourite locations (I have house in the small town of Longueira, close to Almograve). This is a good shot of Zambujeira, and I like the saturation. I think that the shadows are opened up a tad too much.

P.S. I hope you have tried the Sacas restaurant, 3 km north of Zambujeira, it is a mandatory stop!

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 10:35:14 am »

It's a wonderful scene and a great composition, but to be honest it looks over-Photoshopped. The colors do not look at all natural, and if it were my photo I would back off on the saturation and clarity and re-evaluate. My 3 cents (inflation, y'know).

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:46:35 pm »

Really effective composition. Yes, the intensity could be dialed down a little.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 03:40:21 am »

I know this place, and I like the colours. Yes, they are vivid, but to me, they suit the area.

Nobody remembers Velvia anymore?

James Clark

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 01:15:53 pm »

Paulo - I have to agree.  No issue with the colors from me either.  I think there's a sort of backlash against saturated color going on at the moment, and while I understand it (and I understand the market forces and individuals that are driving both the style AND the backlash), in this case the "reality" is that warm end of day light absolutely can bring heavy saturation into a scene..

In short, I'm a fan of both the image and the treatment :)  (Though Slobodan may be onto something with his suggestion re: darkening the "unlit" side of the building).

If I was going to suggest an "improvement" just for the sake of doing so, I might clone out the trees, light poles and wire and leave the church as the truly lone object on the cliff.  Or maybe just remove the light poles and wires, and leave a tree.  Probably the one closest to the church.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:19:39 pm by James Clark »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 06:06:16 pm »

I have been personally involved in the backlash against oversaturation for many, many years. I never liked Velvia. I was strictly Kodachrome all the way, when I did color at all.

But here, I find the colors are well within my own curmudgeonly "acceptable" range. I do agree that Slobodan's subtle tweak could strengthen the image further, but it's nice as it is.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeevz

• Sanjeev Deo Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 12:00:52 pm »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Sorry I haven't had much of an internet connection the last few days so I am a bit slow to get back to anyone.

I am at least glad that the photo has stirred a bit of discussion :)

I definitely agree about the wall Slobodan, thanks for that piece of advice.

In terms of colour/saturation... I am glad that for your comment Paulo; because I do believe the colours suit the scene/suit the feeling I had while standing watching the clear sunset sky.
HOWEVER, I do also think that I have probably gone a bit over the top.  Usually I would leave a shot for 24 hours then come back to it for final touches before I post it somewhere.  Because I knew I would have limited internet I skipped that process for this shot.  Re-looking at it I probably would have dialed it down a little bit (but not a huge amount).  And I think that if I do print this shot I will take the saturation down a little for print.

Again, thanks everyone for your input.  It is helpful to read.
Pages: [1]   Go Up