Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wishful thinking... S2 Glass on A7r  (Read 12262 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Wishful thinking... S2 Glass on A7r
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2015, 04:30:20 pm »

Just one of the reasons I find myself coming here less and less and less.  Thanks for your constructive advice.

Sorry for my misunderstanding but you find yourself coming here less and less because :

a - My comment disturbed you ?

or

b - My comment relate the problem we encounter on this forum since months/years... ?

Because cmon guys; this forum was a mine of informations for young photographers wanting to step-up, well organised. Now it is a mess because every two days, someone bring back discussions about their 35mm gear and it disturb the forum section. It have changed drastically in roughly 3 years, and not in the good way.

Because it start to be unrealistic when a photographer come here to ask questions as meaningless as " S2 glass on A7r ?". Damn, I assume we are all adult and enough experimented to know that the best solution for architecture with the A7r have already been exposed a lot of time, probably a million time over the web. S2 glass on A7r is a NON SENSE. If one can afford a damn S lens or more, to plug it on an A7r, then he should return to school. Sorry being hard but that's the damn truth.

So I know a handful of good photographers who already left this forum for good. They'll never come back and they was very very pro and talented.

"Jack of all trades, master of none"

I do not want to apply this citation to this forum but it clearly slip to this direction.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

LKaven

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2015, 05:32:57 pm »

Because cmon guys; this forum was a mine of informations for young photographers wanting to step-up, well organised. Now it is a mess because every two days, someone bring back discussions about their 35mm gear and it disturb the forum section. It have changed drastically in roughly 3 years, and not in the good way.

Because it start to be unrealistic when a photographer come here to ask questions as meaningless as " S2 glass on A7r ?".

1) If one wants to ask a question about Leica S glass on 35mm bodies, one would best ask a group of medium format users, the only people around likely to own Leica S glass.

2) I am not for excluding 35mm users from this forum as a blanket policy.  Simon's death is too fresh in my mind.  He exemplified great professional work while moving from medium format to use Nikon D800/D810 bodies.  And we would never have excluded him from this forum on that basis.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2015, 06:23:15 pm »

1) If one wants to ask a question about Leica S glass on 35mm bodies, one would best ask a group of medium format users, the only people around likely to own Leica S glass.

That's playing with words.

2) I am not for excluding 35mm users from this forum as a blanket policy.  Simon's death is too fresh in my mind.  He exemplified great professional work while moving from medium format to use Nikon D800/D810 bodies.  And we would never have excluded him from this forum on that basis.

I would never dare to use the death of someone to justify my opinion/point of view. It is just disrespectful and make me spit on the floor. 

I came to Lula and was just shy to even ask a question because ppl over here was just big. Not living legends but big. Lula is for me a great place to learn, in silence, discipline and in a gentleman way, with well established professional photographers. A damn free workshop.
Because of lack of self discipline, most of those masters have left and then my eagerness to learn / knowledge transfer is reduced to the minimum. Thus, I start to be tired.

I might be wrong but, on the forum description, the "excluding 35mm" have been added recently. The interpretation of this might be that the mods want us to use our common sense and self discipline to respect the basic rules of their forum. Am I wrong in my interpretation ? I do not think so.

It is like a classroom. We all learn better with discipline.

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2015, 07:01:40 pm »

Can you explain to me why you are turning this thread into exactly the sort of thing that we both agree has driven so many quality shooters away from this forum?  I didn't post this topic to start any arguments, compare formats or fuel any pointless flames.  There wasn't even a hint of conflict or animosity until you showed up.  I had a legitimate question about medium format equipment and as Luke said, anyone likely to have an answer would be following this section.  You have no idea what I'm doing.  Your response has been a less than worthless addition to this thread.  I'm looking to solve a very specific problem and if I do, it could help out other photographers who happen to visit this thread.  And, for your information, Stefan from Hartblei told me that this could totally work with his tilt/shift adapter, it's just a matter of adapting the Leica glass to Canon mount.  The point of all this, by the way... is to take advantage of what many have called the best medium format lenses around that happen to have image circles large enough for my purposes.
I'm not content to just continue on with tried and true practices.  I already own an IQ260 and view cameras and tech cameras and 12 lenses for them.  These work fine, but I want to work better, more efficiently and more productively.  And what was that whole bit about "if one can afford a damn S lens or more, to plug it on an A7r, then he should return to school' ?  That's just ridiculous.  I've just gone through my books from the last 6 years and I spend $70k a year on gear, which represents a minor portion of my annual billing.  If clients are happy to pay me so well, why would I go 'back to school???'  I can neither comprehend nor tolerate your belligerent and condescending tone.  This forum is supposed to be about photographers helping each other out.  If you don't have anything positive to add to the discourse, maybe you should just keep your tired mouth shut and ignore threads that don't interest you.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:03:24 pm by Chris Barrett »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2015, 07:19:48 pm »

I do not want to know your life, respectfully, and there is no animosity in that. My response has been a less than worthless addition to this thread as your thread is a worthless addition to this forum. Every sectors of photography, from space to deep sea, have been covered with specific tools who work. Every Frankenstein cameras are prone to fail, in my humble experience.

The best place for a leica S lens in on a S body. Here is your answer.

So please read that again :

I have nothing against you and appreciate your work.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 07:37:51 pm »

Chris, your opinions and ideas are always welcome here by me.  I also much appreciate your willingness to post and discuss your work, along with commenting on others. 

By the way, the idea of having a zoom lens for a tech camera that can shift sounds great to me.  It is always something that I felt would be nice addition, especially when you want to pack light.  Joe
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 09:33:23 pm »

I'm a very open minded guy. The live I have lived have let me to that.
When I was a young photographer and was getting into advertising, the association of advertising photographers had a meeting and one of the old guys referred to group of wedding photographers that had attended the meeting as 35mm shooters in a very pejorative way, he said they didn't have a place in that room.
This kind of reminds me of that incident.
Many of us use many different gear and we don't need to create ridiculous walls in between.
My two cents.
By the way I just bought a Kipon TS adapter for Nikon G lenses on Sony A7R.
Will be posting news in the other side of the wall.
ACH

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:39:37 pm by ACH DIGITAL »
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2015, 02:26:31 am »

Hi Chris,

You could ask Leitax ( info@leitax.com ) about the feasibility of such an adapter. The downside may be that aperture control may be very difficult to achieve.

Best regards
Erik

I can't imagine that anyone will be engineering this, but...  I'd love to be able to use Leica S2 lenses on a Tilt/Shift adapter like the Mirex on my A7r... or even mount them on the Arca M2.

Hmm...

CB
Erik Kaffehr

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2015, 07:43:04 am »

Everybody talk about what they want, I'd rather talk about photography and any photographer I know worth their salt loves lenses.

Usually for all kinds of reasons.  Some love edge to edge sharpness, some love contrast, some love smooth roll off.

I have cases of lenses and will sell a camera I'm not going to use but have a hard time selling a lens, even if I only use that lens once every year or even two years.

My favorite lens ive used in the digital period of photography is the old Hartblei (Boris) tilt shift on my contax.

I love it and rarely use it to straighten lines, but to mess with focus, though even shot straight up it's pretty, not overly sharp, but just very very pretty . . .  TO    ME.

I have one in a contax mount (show here) and one in a Canon mount and for some reason shooting it in 35mm doesn't have the same look, don't know why just know it does.

Now to tell a silly story on myself. 

When I bought the S2, 1 day before pre production on a large shoot I was goofing around and put the Leica contax adapter on the Boris and stuck it on the Leica and stuck is the appropriate word because it wouldn't come off.

I freaked, called Steve Hendrix at night (He was on his roof removing leaves from his rain gutter) and said "HELP please send me another contax adapter for the Leica, which he did asap.

But I did finally get it loose and no harm no foul, except I can't use the Boris on the Leica.

Anyway, at least this story is about photography.

IMO

BC

P.S.   I suggest everyone grow a thicker skin.  The social media world can be good, but usually sucks because of some of these type of conversations.

If people have been run off because of it then that's their business, but I suggest just turning your brain to ignore and keep on going.

I liked this thread, well most of it and don't care what format it is because photography is photography.

I'll admit I'm kind of tired of the D800 but that happened three years ago.

Wonderful images, as always, James.
Craig Lamson Photo

andyptak

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 08:03:18 am »

Now that this thread seems to be back where it should be (thankfully)- Chris, what's wrong with Canon T/S lenses on your Sony as a lightweight travel substitute for heavier MF gear?

Chris Barrett

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2015, 08:19:46 am »

Actualy, those work great Andy.  However, I've just ordered Hartblei's 14-24 Master TS built around the Nikon 14-24.  I'm looking for something like a 30-90 to round that out and have a travel set of 2 Tilt/Shift Zooms.  Once the Hartblei arrives, I think I'll just rent a Nikon 24-70 and see how that performs.

A final option is to have a medium format zoom completely rehoused.  I had this done to my mini-set of Leica-R Summiluxes for Cine use...

WannabeTilt

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2015, 09:08:29 am »

To understand this you should read Frederic Martels book "Mainstream". Sorry, no english version I know of. It is a french book:
http://www.amazon.com/Mainstream-French-Frederic-Martel/dp/2081236176/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428672504&sr=8-1&keywords=Frederic+Martel+Mainstream
and a little interview with the author here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKI3bmv4yJ0

Best,
Johannes

Thanks, Johannes - I didn't know of Martel but must now investigate!

Best wishes,

Nick

JoeKitchen

« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2015, 09:18:01 am »

I am very interested in how well a zoom lens will stand up to being shifted.  Please share when you do this. 

I would have to imagine that zooms are not designed with the idea that they will ever be shifted.  So it has me wondering how large the IC is on them and how much the sharpness drops off once you are outside the center. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Manoli

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2015, 10:02:30 am »

A final option is to have a medium format zoom completely rehoused.  I had this done to my mini-set of Leica-R Summiluxes for Cine use...

Seems impressive workmanship - may I ask who did the re-housing ?

Chris Barrett

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2015, 10:23:23 am »

Van Diemen in the UK.  Took half a year and a pile of cash, but they are beautiful.

Manoli

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2015, 10:34:15 am »

...  but they are beautiful.

Indeed they are!
Many thanks, Chris.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2015, 03:05:17 pm »

Now these aren't Leica, but I've been using a couple of the Pentax 645 lenses on a zork adapter (35/75 and 120 macro).
These three always hold up well.
I've always wondered how the zooms would hold up.  If anyone in Vancouver has a Pentax 645 zoom (33-55 or the 80-160), I'd be happy to run a couple of tests with them.

AL
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2015, 08:38:04 pm »

Not related to this topic but might be interesting.

A quick dirty test. Sony A7R + Kipon TS Nikon G to Sony E Adapter + Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 Zoom Lens.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=99222.20

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:48:32 pm by ACH DIGITAL »
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

bcooter

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2015, 04:05:01 pm »

Just one of the reasons I find myself coming here less and less and less.  Thanks for your constructive advice.

Let's face it.

This section "USE" to be for the more involved photographers, mainly because the only people that bought into medium format were pros or serious enthusiasts.

There was always cross over on formats because professionals have to use multiple formats and everybody needed a backup.

Now that smaller than medium format cameras have narrowed the quality gap and post production is just if not more important than the capture device, the lines are blurred more.

In fact Medium format for a long time was ONLY medium format because of the cameras, not the sensor.  It took forever to get a FF 645 (which was the smallest of medium format) and now there seems a turn back to even smaller than 645, so I'm not too sure you could call a Leica S2, Pentax or the cmos Phase/Leaf medium format cameras.

Pro or semi pro cameras . . . yes, but medium format . . . I'm not sure that designation really is appropriate anymore.

For me I have a lot of cameras, but honestly, if the Sony A7 series had a full line of fast lenses (not F4 but at least F2), and would track focus and tether professionally, I would have ditched everything and just bought a bunch of those.  R for high end print, S for B cam motion imagery.

Instead of RED's I'd have then bought F5's for A cam but the Sony A series just doesn't focus well enough for me and I think they are still at version 1 and need a few more trys to get it right, like less compression and as I mentioned better focusing.

But bottom line TO ME on this section of the forum is it use to attract the better artists, paid pros or the do it for the art crowd, but now it seems those people seem less involved.

I think one main reason is anything we post to the public has to have a return.  Use to my return was learning and giving back, but today is different.   

Rather than a Fun with images thread I would strongly suggest a gallery section with a place to put put info on every image with metadata to trace the artist.

Then there is a possible return for the posters other than involvement.

Anyway . . .

In other words I don't think we need more rules, I think we need less, but it's not my site and probably none of my business.

IMO

BC

OH BTW:   there should be a way to embed a video preview link on a post.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2015, 05:35:55 pm »

In other words I don't think we need more rules, I think we need less, but it's not my site and probably none of my business.

IMO

BC

Forum specific, or society in general...
;-)
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up