Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: full frame or APS-C DSLR or EVIL with 3:4 aspect ratio?  (Read 1312 times)

gebseng

full frame or APS-C DSLR or EVIL with 3:4 aspect ratio?
« on: April 08, 2015, 04:43:34 am »

Hi folks,

I have been using Olympus (micro) four thirds systems for the last couple of years as a second camera (along with my view camera / digital back setup) for architectural photography. The main reason for using this format is, believe it or not, that the sensors used by olympus have a 3:4 aspect ratio, unlike the 3:2 ratio of virtually all full frame and APS-C systems. This is important for me to match the 3:4 aspect ratio of my view camera.

I'd very much like to switch to a full frame or APS-C system (I don't really care if it's Sony A7, Nikon, Canon, Pentax or even Samsung NX), as I don't really need more than 16MP or so. The main reason being that for the m43 systems there are no wide angle (24mm equivalent or wider) shift lenses available, which would make my life easier.

But, after doing a quick research, it seems that even the most expensive full frame systems don't allow for cropping from the native 3:2 to the desired 3:4 format for raw shooting. Sony A7 has a 16:9 mode, Canon 5D MIII ditto, Nikon D810 has 5:4, Pentax K-S2 only 3:2, Samsung NX1 16:9 and 1:1.

I already thought of using masking tape on the camera's screen, but that doesn't really work with the user interface. Having the 3:4 view during shooting (and not only in post) is really important for me to compose the image, especially in portrait orientation.

If anybody is aware of a full frame or APS-C system camera model that allows for cropping to 3:4 while shooting raw, I would be thankful for your remarks,

best,

geb

Manoli

Re: full frame or APS-C DSLR or EVIL with 3:4 aspect ratio?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:53:15 am »

If anybody is aware of a full frame or APS-C system camera model that allows for cropping to 3:4 while shooting raw ...

Can't give you a definitive answer.

However, I've come across this problem in differing scenarios. If you've got an iPhone suggest you use an app called Viewfinder MkII, which allows you to set the camera format, differing aspect ratios and overlay masking frames for any combination of lenses. It's then simple to align the centre point in-camera.

Would that help ?

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:27:00 am »

I have masked the edges of the focusing screen in my D800 with translucent tape  to show me a 4:3 crop.  Works well for me and when needed I can compose using the full 2:3 frame (though what's on the sides is indistinct.  Buy a second screen on eBay to do the mod.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:20:53 pm »

Why not use a small, LCD external monitor (HDMI) or wirelessly to an iPad or similar and enjoy a larger screen for composition and your own cropping on the monitor? It would certainly be faster and easier than to modify a tiny screen inside a DSLR.

I've used the remote modes using both USB into Nikon Capture and my CamRanger and the large screen is certainly nice to do my compositions.

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

spidermike

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 03:37:53 pm »

This is an extract from the manual for the Canon 5D3:

The image’s aspect ratio can be set to [3:2], [4:3], [16:9], or [1:1].
The area surrounding the Live View image is masked in black when
the following aspect ratios are set: [4:3] [16:9] [1:1].
JPEG images will be saved with the set aspect ratio. RAW images will always be saved with the [3:2] aspect ratio. Since the aspect ratio information is appended to the RAW image, the image can be generated in the respective aspect ratio when you process the RAW image with the provided software.

That sounds like what you are after.

Page 206 on:
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0300008612/05/EOS_5D_Mark_III_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf

gebseng

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 02:22:24 am »

Wow, thanks for all the great input guys!

Especially spidermike, thanks so much for pointing me at the fact that you CAN have 3:4 live view and output with the 5D MIII, very helpful indeed!

best,

geb
Pages: [1]   Go Up