Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating Protective Gloss  (Read 2223 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating Protective Gloss
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:16:32 pm »

Will this work ok on canvas printed with my HP Z3100 pigments? I`m kind of in a hurry and I need something I can get from Wal-Mart or Hobby Lobby.
Mike

John V.

Re: Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating Protective Gloss
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 09:31:51 am »

it's doesn't spray very well at all. the nozzle spits out a very narrow uneven stream. At least that was my experience. I've been using minwax polycrylic, which is easy to find. I use it on fine art papers and I know artists that use it on finished canvas pieces, but as it's been mentioned around here, it's brittle and probably wouldn't wrap well.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:36:57 am by John Drew »

Some Guy

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:41:44 am »

it's doesn't spray very well at all. the nozzle spits out a very narrow uneven stream. At least that was my experience. I've been using minwax polycrylic, which is easy to find. I use it on fine art papers and I know artists that use it on finished canvas pieces, but as it's been mentioned around here, it's brittle and probably wouldn't wrap well.

I'm glad someone else mentioned this as I thought I got a bad can, or maybe it had some time of use limit or expiration date.

I bought a can of the stuff at Hobby Lobby and the spray was awful.  Sprayed like a garden hose at times no matter how long I shook the can. Had puddles on the print in the end and ruined it.  Most anything else I've used has sprayed far better, e.g. Premier Arts, Hahnemühle Protective Spray, or Marshall's SureGuard but all those are sort of hard to find.

Don't know why, but Krylon just doesn't work well for me in general.  Even their mattes and glossy sprays aren't very pleasing and something goes wrong in the spraying someplace.  Better luck with a real spray gun like a Sata MiniJet or similar, aside from the noise of the compressor and cleanup afterwards.

SG

John V.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 12:04:05 pm »

Yep, nice to know I wasn't the only one also.

Forgot to mention...

http://www.montana-cans.com/products/Cans/NEW_Montana_TECH/Montana_VARNISH_Spray_400ml/331

They carry this at Michaels. It worked well on some 8x10's I did the other day. Some big box stores may carry it...

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 12:29:11 pm »

Most if not all of these solvent sprays get extremely brittle.
If you are gallery wrapping I would stay away from the solvents completely.
Canvas sprayed then mounted flat like to Gatorboard the stuff works great.

We did some tests some years ago with Clearstars solvent sprays.
We did not even have to gallery wrap them. We just folded the edge over and made a crease and the ink cracked apart at the crease.
We made up 4 samples showing the issues and sent them to the factory in the Carolinas with a nice letter. Never heard a word back???

rmyers

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 12:38:15 pm »

Yep, nice to know I wasn't the only one also.

Forgot to mention...

http://www.montana-cans.com/products/Cans/NEW_Montana_TECH/Montana_VARNISH_Spray_400ml/331

They carry this at Michaels. It worked well on some 8x10's I did the other day. Some big box stores may carry it...

I looked at the tech sheet on their website, and it says "environmentally friendly" and makes mention of indoor use.  Do you know if it is solvent free?  Which sheen did you use?

There is a Michael's about an hour from here.  Next time I am that way, I will check it out.

John V.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

The front of the can mentions "interior and exterior" usage, meaning applications. The first ingredient is acetone though the fumes aren't as bad as some things I've tried. IIRC, the krylon was some of the worst and han/print shield was more mild, fume wise. This is more similar to to han/print shield. I used the gloss version, however this was simply used for some UV protection, not aesthetics. I just did one coat and it actually kinda (barely) knocked down some of the sheen of the luster paper I was using. I plan on trying it again and experimenting with it more. I see not a single mention of it in the searches here..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 02:01:24 pm by John Drew »
Pages: [1]   Go Up