Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peter Lik: Epson Metallic Photo Paper GLOSSY  (Read 7115 times)

disneytoy

Peter Lik: Epson Metallic Photo Paper GLOSSY
« on: April 07, 2015, 03:17:13 pm »

Greetings!

We were looking at Peter Lik's gallery. I know he prints with a lightjet on Fuji Chrystal metallic paper. A friend is interested in me printing (Epson 9890) some pieces on metallic.

Any thoughts on the Epson Metallic Photo Paper GLOSSY? A roll of 36" is around $300. I can't see a sample before i order. So I'd like some feedback if anyone has used it.

Thanks

Maxi

stockjock

Re: Peter Lik: Epson Metallic Photo Paper GLOSSY
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 11:58:59 pm »

I have used the Epson Metallic Photo Paper Glossy and I do like it for many prints.  There is definitely a kind of pop and depth that you don't get with papers like the Canson Baryta or Platine.  The Epson Metallic Luster is not so special and I don't see any reason to use that.  However, I will tell you that the Epson supplied profile for the Metallic Photo Paper Glossy used on the 3880 is crap.  It has very inaccurate colors.  Sometimes that is good, sometimes bad, but always fairly random.  Metallic papers are supposed to be very difficult to profile accurately in general so I have no idea if you would have better luck with a custom profile.  And I have not compared the Epson Metallic to any of the other brands of papers so I have no idea if it is better or worse.  Many posters here seem to believe nearly all the metallic papers come from the same source but I have no idea if that is actually true. 

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 12:15:50 am »

Fuji does not make a metallic paper.  Peter Lik uses what is commonly called “fujiFlex”. I’ve heard he has experimented with Fuji Pearl, but I haven’t ever seen any of his images on this when visiting his galleries.

For a “metallic” paper that is similar, Kodak Endura Metallic face mounted is similar but with that metallic look.

At this time I have seen no pigment ink process that can duplicate the gloss and depth of FujiFlex.  While the gamut of this paper is far less than that of pigment ink processes, the other qualities are pretty exceptional.

However, part of the qualities of his look and presentation aren’t the paper used, but the face mounting to acrylic. I have found that if you face mount a high quality glossy pigment print (I’ve been using good old Espon Premium Glossy from a 9900) to anti reflective plexi (similar to his prints) or museum or ArtGlass  you get a look which I think is very comparable, but with the added quality of the improved gamut and tonal gradations of an inkjet print which is superior to the fuji print. 

disneytoy

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 12:23:22 am »

Thankd Wayne, Is that the Epson Glossy 250 paper? I have a ton of it. I'll give it a try. What optical mounting material do you use? Also any details on the thickness or specs for the plexi you use?

Thanks

Maxi

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 10:46:03 am »

Get a package of 8.5x11 for $20-$25 and try both a full image and a tile at full size and see what you think. If it looks good, then you could up the ante and go for the big stock.

I've tried both the gloss and luster and for some of my images, this is the way to go. The canned profiles are a little different than the norm and of course there's the "metallic" look, so don't expect similar prints on different stocks to match side-by-side. That's not the point of metallic anyway...

When you put a light on a print, that's where the metallic substrate really pops!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 11:57:04 pm »

You have to facemount to get the deep gloss look.
While Fuji flex is very nice there is 1 better process and is about to make a debut here in Las Vegas.

disneytoy

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 12:09:19 am »

Report back on that. can't wait. I understand the facemounting. But in person, the Aviation series looks metallic. Not just glossy.

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:17:34 am »

Report back on that. can't wait. I understand the facemounting. But in person, the Aviation series looks metallic. Not just glossy.
yes it seems metallic but I've definitely seen better metallic presentations. The tone mapping is what makes the aviation series look so good. The colors in the aviation very easy colors to print on Fuji flex. The problem is that Fuji flex is extremely limited in the Reds and yellows.if you have very saturated reds and try to print on the flex mapping will usually crush the roads down to a dull  cardboard like red. I had to make special profiles for printing red only images for many of Robert Rotella's red flowers and even then it was incredibly compromised

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 02:20:30 am »

LexJet has a metalic, and so does HP. The HP has more contrast and the Lex is a bit softer pearl like.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up