Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING FOR 8.5" wide roll of plain paper for nozzle checks.  (Read 1620 times)

Torpedo

LOOKING FOR 8.5" wide roll of plain paper for nozzle checks.
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:21:58 am »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get an 8.5" wide roll of plain paper?  I have an Epson 9900 and I use a 24" wide roll of plain paper that I get from Unisource in the Toronto (Canada) area.  The rolls are great and cheap, but I use it for daily nozzle checks when I'm not printing a lot.  In conjunction with Harvey Head Cleaner.  I don't need a 24" roll for this.

However, I was hoping to get an 8.5 inch roll as I use the printer to print microsoft office documents occasionally too and it would be nice to not have to feed individual sheets into it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  A source in Toronto or Canada is preferable, but USA would work too.

Thx!

James

hugowolf

Re: LOOKING FOR 8.5" wide roll of plain paper for nozzle checks.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 12:03:59 pm »

I would be surprised if you find anything in that width. I have seen cheap lustre in 8.3 (A4) width, but not uncoated bond.

If you can find someone with a chop saw, then you could cut the 24" roll down to two 8.5" rolls, but I would also be surprised if the printer will feed from a 8.5" roll. The manual states a 10" minimum width for rolls, even though the driver dialog allows setting a width of 3.5". I have tried feeding sheets, and again you can set it for 3.5", but it will not feed anything less than A4 (8.3 inches).

So, cutting the 24" roll into two 11" rolls. may be your best option: print portrait and cut at 8.5 inches.

Brian A

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 12:32:55 pm »

I think it will be easier to simply use 10" rolls of inexpensive lustre paper on the 9900.  Epson, Kodak, or Breathing Color rolls on 3" core (BC probably least expensive)----but s/h is what to look out for.

ken

Torpedo

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 01:48:36 pm »

Thank you for the replies!

An 11" roll would work as well.  I'd be a bit worried about sawing the roll as it might leave some fluffs on the edge to potentially get into the printer.

BC could work too, however it is much more expensive than I was looking for.  I think I pay $15 for a 150 foot 24" roll of plain paper.

I've fed some 6 or 8" sheets through and it has worked in the past. 

Thanks for the tips!

James

hugowolf

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:41:03 pm »

An 11" roll would work as well.  I'd be a bit worried about sawing the roll as it might leave some fluffs on the edge to potentially get into the printer.

You just need to vacuum the ends well before use. Keep the roll tight with tape while cutting.

Brian A

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:04:13 pm »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to get an 8.5" wide roll of plain paper?  I have an Epson 9900 and I use a 24" wide roll of plain paper that I get from Unisource in the Toronto (Canada) area.  The rolls are great and cheap, but I use it for daily nozzle checks when I'm not printing a lot.  In conjunction with Harvey Head Cleaner.  I don't need a 24" roll for this.

However, I was hoping to get an 8.5 inch roll as I use the printer to print microsoft office documents occasionally too and it would be nice to not have to feed individual sheets into it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  A source in Toronto or Canada is preferable, but USA would work too.

Thx!

James

Hi James,

Not sure why you would want to run nozzle checks on roll paper.  I have never used anything but standard office paper(8.5x11) sheets.  Usually the least expensive kind I can find as well.  I get 6 nozzle checks on one sheet and then cut the remainder for note pads.  I do 2 nozzle checks per side, one each end. Then I trim the patterns off one end and get 2 more, one per side.  The remaining middle section makes good note size sheets.  Very economical and no wastage.  I've used that method from my first Epson printer through the 4000, 2-7600s and now the 9900, including a couple of desktop printers.  It just works.

Gary
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:07:03 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

hugowolf

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 10:26:57 pm »

Hi James,

... I get 6 nozzle checks on one sheet and then cut the remainder for note pads.  I do 2 nozzle checks per side, one each end. Then I trim the patterns off one end and get 2 more, one per side.  The remaining middle section makes good note size sheets.  Very economical and no wastage.  

I get eight, but it sounds like if I incorporated your method, I could get ten. I get four on each side, top, bottom and two sides.

Brian A

Torpedo

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 08:51:25 am »

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

I use roll paper for nozzle checks in combination with Harvey Head Cleaner.  So, you don't have to feed the sheets through.  ie.  I can go away for 2 weeks and run my program so it automatically does nozzle checks a few times a day without having anyone have to visit the printer. 

Thanks again,

James

disneytoy

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 11:08:40 am »

I doubt it is cost effective, but old fashion fax paper cane in an 8.5" roll. Should be fine for a nozzle check.

Also I looked at the Harvey thing. if it just prints a nozzle check at a ste time that isn't hard to do in windows? Who ever has it, what exactly does it print out? Nozzle check?
Pages: [1]   Go Up