Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing jpeg for custom lab  (Read 3427 times)

aebolzan

• agustinbolzan
Printing jpeg for custom lab
« on: April 06, 2015, 07:19:08 pm »

My custom lab has installed a new Epson 9900 and started to use Canon papers. I have downloaded the ICC for the papers they have at the moment (Rag, Baryta, Vellin and Aquarelle) for the soft proofing.  The question is: once I made a soft proof using the corresponding ICC and move to the Print module....what profile should I set in the Color management? The same  ICC I used in the Develop module or should I use the Adobe RGB because I am printing to a jpeg file?.....

A second question is....is it the same to "print" to jpeg or the "export" as tiff?.....LR prints only to jpeg and not to tiff, but the Print module is more flexible that the export options....but I do not know if tiff and jpeg files will produce significant different prints in the Epson 9900 at the custom lab.....

Agustin

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Printing jpeg for custom lab
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 07:23:29 pm »

...A second question is....is it the same to "print" to jpeg or the "export" as tiff?.....LR prints only to jpeg and not to tiff, but the Print module is more flexible that the export options....but I do not know if tiff and jpeg files will produce significant different prints in the Epson 9900 at the custom lab.....

Prints will be identical if you used jpeg at max (100%) quality.

aebolzan

• agustinbolzan
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 07:56:05 pm »

Prints will be identical if you used jpeg at max (100%) quality.

thanks!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:18:19 pm »

My custom lab has installed a new Epson 9900 and started to use Canon papers. I have downloaded the ICC for the papers they have at the moment (Rag, Baryta, Vellin and Aquarelle) for the soft proofing.  The question is: once I made a soft proof using the corresponding ICC and move to the Print module....what profile should I set in the Color management? The same  ICC I used in the Develop module or should I use the Adobe RGB because I am printing to a jpeg file?.....
IF the lab allows you to use it, use it for export so the data is in that new, output color space using the rendering intent you prefer with your post soft proof edits (if any). Most demand sRGB begging the question, what at all good is the profile they provide? Answer, none.

A second question is....is it the same to "print" to jpeg or the "export" as tiff?.....LR prints only to jpeg and not to tiff, but the Print module is more flexible that the export options....but I do not know if tiff and jpeg files will produce significant different prints in the Epson 9900 at the custom lab.....
Same but again, be sure the lab will accept the files in that output color space. That's the ideal workflow!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 12:04:36 am »

You need to find out the color management policies of the lab.  A good lab will ask you to submit the files tagged with the working space you used to produce the file and can work with sRGB, aRGB, or ppRGB. They provide the profile for you so you can use it to soft proof, but they don’t expect you do to the conversion. Most prefer the file as a jpeg just because of size issues which means using ProPhoto isn’t advisable since it really does need to stay in 16bit. But some labs will allow you to supply the file as a 16bit ProPhotoRGB tiff file if you request it.  This will depend on their ability to accept large files via transfer.  We have customers that prefer this but they are local so they can bring them in on a DVD.  If the output is through a chromogenic process there is no point in this, 8 bit aRGB or even sRGB has adequate gamut, but for a 9900, some images may see a slight benefit of staying in 16bit ppRGB.

The other question to resolve is the file resolution.  We prefer our customers to provide the file in it’s original resolution, and we will do the resizing.  We used to use a RIP for this, then migrated to Photoshop , but now I’m pushing for our normal process for this is to print directly from Lightroom.  Old habits die hard and some of my employees I still catch using Photoshop, but recently I ask one to reprint it from Lightroom and they discovered the quality was better. It’s not they are not skilled in photoshop but Lightroom really is good at this and there really aren’t many people who have the skill to do better with other tools. We do have a few customers with a lot of experience and skill themselves and prefer to provide a resized file, and for the most part we can work with them.

aebolzan

• agustinbolzan
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:12:23 am »

You need to find out the color management policies of the lab.  A good lab will ask you to submit the files tagged with the working space you used to produce the file and can work with sRGB, aRGB, or ppRGB. They provide the profile for you so you can use it to soft proof, but they don’t expect you do to the conversion. Most prefer the file as a jpeg just because of size issues which means using ProPhoto isn’t advisable since it really does need to stay in 16bit. But some labs will allow you to supply the file as a 16bit ProPhotoRGB tiff file if you request it.  This will depend on their ability to accept large files via transfer.  We have customers that prefer this but they are local so they can bring them in on a DVD.  If the output is through a chromogenic process there is no point in this, 8 bit aRGB or even sRGB has adequate gamut, but for a 9900, some images may see a slight benefit of staying in 16bit ppRGB.

I will ask them, thanks for the advise

The other question to resolve is the file resolution.  We prefer our customers to provide the file in it’s original resolution, and we will do the resizing.  We used to use a RIP for this, then migrated to Photoshop , but now I’m pushing for our normal process for this is to print directly from Lightroom.  Old habits die hard and some of my employees I still catch using Photoshop, but recently I ask one to reprint it from Lightroom and they discovered the quality was better. It’s not they are not skilled in photoshop but Lightroom really is good at this and there really aren’t many people who have the skill to do better with other tools. We do have a few customers with a lot of experience and skill themselves and prefer to provide a resized file, and for the most part we can work with them.

Well, I resize in Lightroom following the advise of Jeff Schewe, who said that it is better to upsize resolution to 360 (or 720) in LR and not leave the printer to do it. As I do  not know how the lab works, I decided to prepare the size and resolution directly in LR. But I will also ask them before sending the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up