Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A first set of papers for R2400?  (Read 5810 times)

iaotech

A first set of papers for R2400?
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:56:22 pm »

I am ordering an Epson R2400 and looking for suggestions for a first set of papers to experiment with the printer. (Matte, Gloss , B&W, roll for panos).

Thanks

akclimber

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 03:09:47 pm »

I am ordering an Epson R2400 and looking for suggestions for a first set of papers to experiment with the printer. (Matte, Gloss , B&W, roll for panos).

Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi there,

The choices for papers are mindboggling many and really depend on a large degree to your tastes, goals, photo style, etc.  You can order sample packs from a number of vendors.  I have personal experience with the following vendors:

www.epson.com
www.inkjetart.com
www.digitalartsupplies.com
www.bhphoto.com
www.adorama.com
www.moabpaper.com

I keep reading great things about these folks but have yet to try them:

www.atlex.com

Specific papers (by type) that I've tried with my 2400 include:

Matte

1) Epson Velvet - thick, warm, textured, archival, expensive.
2) Epson Enhanced Matte - thinnish, pretty white, not archival, inexpensive
3) Moab Kayenta - thinnish, archival, white, my current favorite, good for both color and B&W, it's not 100% cotton rag but instead it's alpha cellulose (wood pulp) and thus may get a bad rap for archivability.  Inexpensive.  Double sided so it's good for proofing too.
4) Hahnemuhle Photo Rag - thick (depending on which weight you purchase), warm, slightly textured, archival.  Considered a classic. Expensive.
5) Crane Museo - thick, warm, slightly textured, archival, expensive.

I tend to like whiter/brighter, smoother papers and have not fallen in love with Photo Rag, Velvet or Museo.  Matte papers I still want to try include Epson watercolor, Epson Fine Art and Moab Entrada bright.

Glossy

1) InkJetArt Glossy Micro ceramic glossy - available in rolls, inexpensive, nice
2) ICI Glossy - available in rolls from www.digitalartsupplies.com, my favorite glossy altho it seems that the paper produces a bit of bronzing.  Very bright with a good D-Max.

Luster

1) InkJetArt micro ceramic luster - available in rolls, inexpensive, nice slight texture.
2) Epson Luster

If I were you, I'd call InkJetArt , Digital Art Supplies and/or Atlex and order a few sample packs.  I use the InkJetArt glossy or luter and ICI glossy in rolls for panos.

For a good overview on matte papers to use for B&W (or really just a good overview on the porperties of available matte papers) go here:

[a href=\"http://www.cjcom.net/articles/digiprn5.htm]http://www.cjcom.net/articles/digiprn5.htm[/url]

Hope that helps!
Cheers!

Steven M Anthony

• www.smaphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 03:10:48 pm »

I use Premium Luster and Watercolor Radiant White.  Both provide great results.
Steve

[url=http://www.smaphoto.co

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 06:17:12 pm »

A lot depends on the type of image you like and personal taste. The 2400 ships with very good profiles for Epson papers, and Epson provides even better ones on their website, so if you stick with Epson papers your color management is taken care of.
I'd suggest trying a handful of matte/fine art papers and a selection of glossy/semigloss papers to see what works for you. I tried Epson's premium glossy, semigloss and luster using photoblack ink. I then tried Somerset velvet, Epson ultrasmooth fine art, and Hahnemuhle photo rag using matte black ink. (Epson's enhanced matte is cheaper, but I've never liked its weight or surface). For my photography I found that Epson's Premium luster and ultrasmooth fine art papers work the best; Somerset velvet's pronounced texture is also perfect for some images. Your preference will undoubtedly be different.
I think that once you find a paper that works well for you, it becomes easier to look for a cheaper 3rd party alternative producing similar quality for less money.

iaotech

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 06:43:52 am »

Thank you very much for these suggestions.

I have a good road map now.

JP

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 04:42:50 pm »

I've found Premium Luster to be my favorite paper so far for the 2400, very nice dmax so prints have a nice punch, the surface isnt my favorite, but at this point its the best trade off I've found. I havent had to much luck with velvet fine art, although it was my favorite paper on my 2200.
I use atlex.com for all my inkjet supplies, they are quite a bit cheaper for ink cartridges than any other supplier that I have found, I purchase all my epson paper through them as well, so far very good service 2 years running.

dbell

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 01:27:55 pm »

Papers I've used with acceptable results on the 2400:

Matte:

From Epson: Enhanced Matte, Heavyweight Matte, Watercolor Radiant White, Velvet Fine Art.

Ilford Fine Art.

Glossy:

From Epson: Premium Glossy, Premium Lustre, Premium Semigloss.

Kodak Professional Glossy

Pictorico Photo Gallery High-Gloss White Film.

Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl.

At the moment, my favorites (the ones I keep going back to) seem to be Velvet Fine Art and Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl. If anyone wants to hear my thoughts on any of these in particular, just ask .

--
Daniel Bell

stefano

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 12:39:54 pm »

Can anyone suggest a roll paper for the R2400 that produces a result similar to lightjet prints on Kodak Endura metallic?

I am about to purchase an R2400, and would love to be able to reproduce the effect of Endura Metallic.

Thanks for any suggestions,

--stefano
Pages: [1]   Go Up