Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question re:frame sizing  (Read 1064 times)

raymond bleesz

Question re:frame sizing
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:19:08 am »

a newbie question re: frame sizing----in my darkroom days, I typically printed my images in order to use standard sizing frame such as  8x10, 11x14, 16x20, 20x24 and occasionally 24x28. This allowed me to buy bulk sized glass and frames--for reuse for example. There was consistency.

I presently have stock frames & glass in the 11x14, 16x20, 20x24 and other sized glass which I can custom cut on my Fletcher cutter for the occasional odd sized print or frame.

Presently, I am doing digital on my 3800 and typically print on 13x19 Harmon papers---- this paper size is causing me to ponder what frame sizes I should use in order to have equal mat board sizing around a decent looking print which is somewhat near that elongated image of a 13x19 print, i.e.. if the print is say 12x18 or 11x17 which allows for paper handling or such, what typical size frame would be "average" or "standard" in sizing in order to get equal matting around the image on the widths and lengths?

Raymond

Pete Berry

Re: Question re:frame sizing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 12:20:02 pm »

I've used stock 18x24 mats/frames for years for 13x19 paper prints, both with 3:2 and 4:3 images. I don't worry about trying for even borders, as this is a sticky wicket that dictates very specific cropping - just size the image as I want it, center the image, and let the borders be as they may.

For A2 papers, 22x28 stock frames work well.

Pete

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 12:57:24 pm »

... if the print is say 12x18 or 11x17 which allows for paper handling or such, what typical size frame would be "average" or "standard" in sizing in order to get equal matting around the image on the widths and lengths?

That is mathematically impossible. If you start with a 3:2 ratio, then adding equal matting would never result in the same ratio, nor standard frame sizes.

In practical terms, however, I frame my 12x18 images into a 16x20 matt/frame.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:59:24 pm »

IMO the image size and aspect rations should dictate everything else. I always size and/or crop the image for the best composition but try to use whole-number aspect ratios like 1:1, 1:2, 2:3, 4:5, etc. when possible. Then I always put a mat with equal borders around it. For a 12x18 print I'd use an 18x24 frame if the mat overlaps the image, so the width of the mat ends up being 3" plus the overlap. If there's a reveal (say 0.25") around the image I'd use a 18.5"x24.5" frame since I don't like the mat borders to go under 3" for this size print. I don't try to make anything fit a standard frame, but after a while you end up with your own "standard" sizes. I've always gone by the premise that prints are made only to look at, so presentation is everything.

You can sometimes get away with wider top and bottom borders, or with three equal borders and bottom weighting, but when the left and right borders are noticeably wider than top and bottom borders it starts looking odd to me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:02:34 pm by DeanChriss »
- Dean

LeonD

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 01:12:52 pm »

I appreciate this discussion and am getting some good info.

I usually print 13x19 and use 18x24 frames.  I've sized the photos as they've dictated so I never end up with perfect ratios but do try to take up as much of the 13x19 that I can.  That leaves me with at least 2 1/2 of matt on each side.

Lately, I've been thinking that too large of a border.  I'll be trying 16x20 frames in my next batch.

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 02:36:37 pm »

Some places are coming around to selling what they call "Digital frames" in the 2:3 ratio.  Some photo stores too since they sell paper that size.  My local Aaron Brothers has 13x19 inch frames, but selection is limited.

My personal choice is a 17x25.5 inch print cut off a roll, then framed with a 3" wide mat.  Whatever frame is then cut to fit it, roughly 26x34 inches (outside dimension) and about right for normal size family room wall.

The best I have is some frame, canvas fabric weave inlay for the mid-section, and a small fillet piece, and then the 17x25.5 inch photo under museum glass, but that was commercially framed at around $650 too.

I do like to set them off with a 12" long brass picture frame light mounted to their back on top.  Orchard Hardware sells them under the Westinghouse brand for about $25.  I take the two T6 lamps out and dip them in Martha Stewart's Transparent Blue Lilac or Blue Sky glass dyes (Micheal's Art Supply) to make them daylight balanced instead of the tungsten orange color.  Add a slide dimmer to all of them hanging on a wall and "Viola!"  They pop in a room.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up