Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica X2 or Sony RX1/RX1R?  (Read 2675 times)

kengai

Leica X2 or Sony RX1/RX1R?
« on: April 06, 2015, 04:32:51 am »

I am interested in landscape photography and to street photography. I'm tired to take the weight of the SLR and related equipment, so I thought a quality compact. What do you recommend? If I had to choose the Sony, which do you think between the RX1 and RX1R may be more suitable for the type of photography that interests me?

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
Re: Leica X2 or Sony RX1/RX1R?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:50:10 pm »

The RX1/RX1r will give you the best 24mp IQ available, it its true classic!!. The lens is insanely awesome, super sharp wide open almost to the very edges.  I have RX1r and love it, but if I had to buy it over again I would have picked up the RX1 because the R version does produce heavy moire and digital artifacts(even in landscape shots) that I think would be less of a problem with the RX1.   These are fixable in post but add extra time.  I have compared my files to a friends RX1 and I can say the difference between the two is very SMALL!   Also the electronic view finder is a must, and you probably want to get a lens hood and grip.

As a landscape camera it's great if you can live with 35mm??   It is a really enjoyable camera to work with and I really like that I can use a traditional threaded cable release. 

As a street camera its great because it's small and silent but the auto focus is slow, albeit very accurate, and it cannot lock onto moving objects.  I mainly use it for urban landscape. 

www.jayhemphill.com

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:40:19 pm »

The X2 I know nothing about.  The RX1 is an excellent choice I was looking at one myself.  And the previous post summed it up regarding that camera.  I would also consider the XT1 from Fuji as it's excellent, and the NX1 from Samsung, which looks good, but I don't have enough information about.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:02:57 pm »

The X2 I know nothing about.  The RX1 is an excellent choice I was looking at one myself.  And the previous post summed it up regarding that camera.  I would also consider the XT1 from Fuji as it's excellent, and the NX1 from Samsung, which looks good, but I don't have enough information about.

The X-T1 with the 23 mm F1.4 is bigger (similar DOF though), he might want to look at the X100T (or an X-E2 with the 27mm F2.8, as small but lens is slower). I have the 23 mm F1.4 for few weeks now and the quality with any of the Fujis is excellent, focus speed is quite good also.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 01:25:56 pm »

The X-T1 with the 23 mm F1.4 is bigger (similar DOF though), he might want to look at the X100T (or an X-E2 with the 27mm F2.8, as small but lens is slower). I have the 23 mm F1.4 for few weeks now and the quality with any of the Fujis is excellent, focus speed is quite good also.
Yeah, I'm looking at the X100T right now myself as my "point and shoot" super camera.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up