Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving a Canon IPF 8400 & Epson 3880's  (Read 3706 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Moving a Canon IPF 8400 & Epson 3880's
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:58:12 pm »

Hi

I am sure I have seen this topic here before but a quick search did not turn it up, so I apologise for the repeat.

I have just moved 1600kms and was concerned about moving my printers, especially the large Canon.

I used the original packing and set the machine to "Level 1" mode (See page 947 "Preparing to Transfer the Printer" in the User's Guide.)
I ensured that the movers understood that it could not be tipped or tilted beyond the allowed angles and it was loaded into the truck. It arrived without a problem.
I connected everything up and it printed perfectly. No ink was lost in the process.

For the 3880's, I removed the ink cartridges, packed them in their original packaging and placed them on a foam mattress in the back of my vehicle, that too worked like a charm.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Moving a Canon IPF 8400 & Epson 3880's
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 01:11:17 pm »

I will be facing the same plight in a few weeks, William. The original packing for my ipf8400 took up half my garage! So no original packing. Did you take the head off of it's stand?

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 01:35:43 pm »

10 years ago, we moved about 70 miles, and I had to move my Epson 7800. I had no original packing. I removed the ink cartridges, and wrapped them in paper towels, and put them  into zip lock bags. I inserted crumpled up paper towels and inserted them into the ink chambers. I moved the printer myself in the back of a pick up truck. All worked when I set it up in our new location. Good luck!
Dave in NJ

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 03:51:15 pm »

I will be facing the same plight in a few weeks, William. The original packing for my ipf8400 took up half my garage! So no original packing. Did you take the head off of it's stand?

Not 100% sure what you mean David, I did remove the printer from the stand, there are four screws that attach the stand/wheels to the main printer section. I did not touch the print heads.
I hope that clears it up.
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

robertvine

• http://www.robertvinephotography.com.au
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 08:33:03 pm »

Just moved my 4800 5000kms and had it arrive in one piece! It only needed two manual cleans before coming good which was a great relief after it spent 3 weeks in a shipping container during the Australian summer. I packed it up as per the manual and had the movers cover it in copious amounts of bubble wrap and ensured that nothing was stacked on top of it.

Only slightly scary moment was when it was being taken off the truck, one of the movers (a huge Maori bloke) hoisted the 50kg printer onto his shoulder to carry it inside! I politely asked if it could be carried with a little more care...
Robert Vine
Darwin, Australia Canon 6D +

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:38:29 am »

Not 100% sure what you mean David, I did remove the printer from the stand, there are four screws that attach the stand/wheels to the main printer section. I did not touch the print heads.
I hope that clears it up.
William
Yes, sorry for not being clear. The other comments help too.

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 12:33:56 pm »

I've moved printers with no original packaging (across town - <20 miles) with no issue. took the printer off the stand, parked the head, put the little clip on the belt and ta-da. (doing the move prep ink drain of course).

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:44:46 pm »

Moved my ipf8400 about a hundred miles to the Sedona area. Other than removing the printer from the stand after parking and locking the head according to instructions on a level 1 move, I asked the movers to be really careful with keeping it level going into and out of the truck. It sat for a week in the truck in 85F degree heat because the moving van got stuck in the mud due to a freak rainstorm... me on pins and needles... got it put back together and fired it up. The display panel asked if it had been installed, I clicked "yes" and I went to "pleas wait" spinning hourglass limbo. After an hour and a half of that nonsense, I pulled the plug, waited a bit, and powered up again. This time it went through an ink filling routine (don't know why) and then a nozzle check. Loaded digitaldog's test image to print in LR and... wait for it... wait for it... BINGO. Beautiful. Just like I'd hoped, but worried that something would go wrong.

I am amazed at the robustness of these printers and thankful for the help I found here in LuLa land, but I am never moving again except for when they take me out feet first ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up