Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pine cones on forest floor  (Read 778 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Pine cones on forest floor
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:52:12 am »

I had a chance to take a brief hike a week ago in the Soldiers Delight serpendine grasslands reserve in Baltimore county. (http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pages/central/soldiersdelight.aspx). While spring had yet to arrive, here's one image from that trek. C&C welcomed.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Re: Pine cones on forest floor
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:46:05 pm »

So I like the photo, but have no idea where you'd use it and for what.  But I can think of a marketing team that might be able to make a play on the pine cone theme, and it's a good composition.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 09:19:03 am »

Maddogmurph: Thanks for commenting. I was thinking of printing it 3x5 ft and hanging it in a nearby squirrel sanctuary  ;D Just kiddin'; I don't have great aspirations for this one.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:34:28 am »

I really like ground scapes like this one Bob.  Some thoughts on your image:

• I find the composition a little disconcerting, with empty space in the upper right.  I would prefer more balance in this type of shot.
  • I think this type of image works better in softer light, as parts of the surface of the pine cone and dead wood are a bleached white and parts of the needles and leaves are blown out.
  • If the image has a main subject then selective focus works, but for an image like this I prefer to see more DOF.  Part of the left cone and the dead wood are out of focus.

I think what it comes down to is that (for me) this is a still life, and that implies precision and care.  Your image has a snap shot look to it.  Sorry if this sounds harsh, and it will be interesting to see if anyone else agrees with me.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

Bob_B

• It's all about light
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:44:02 am »

Thanks Rory. I appreciate your comments and suggestions for improvement. They are not at all harsh, and I'll keep them in mind the next time I'm on the forest floor.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

spidermike

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 10:33:57 am »

It is a tricky one to call for me.
The one thing that keeps dragging my eye is the pine needle in the middle of the cone on the right - can you clone it out?

Also, I think a bit of split toning would help the cones to stand out a bit more without having to increase contrast - there is no fixed recipe but playing around until it 'works'.
Pages: [1]   Go Up