Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metallic Inks  (Read 1286 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Metallic Inks
« on: April 04, 2015, 05:17:50 pm »

I see that there are a number of printers that can print with metallic inks. Could this type of inkset be used to print landscape photos or are they just used for signage and wraps? Is it very archival?
Mike

BradSmith

Re: Metallic Inks
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:32:25 pm »

I've never heard of metallic ink.   "Metallic" paper - yes.   Prints on metal - yes.      But not metallic ink.  Please clarify then maybe someone can help.
Brad

Randy Carone

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:08:28 pm »

Roland offers high-quality wide format inkjet printers that use metallic ink. I don't think it is archival and may primarily be for packaging prototype. http://www.rolanddga.com/solutions/metallicprinting/
And Epson's GS wide format inkjet printers offer optional silver ink. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/SeriesSureColorS70670/Overview.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes

Randy Carone

BradSmith

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:44:21 pm »

Thanks for the info.  Once again, learned something new
Brad

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:30:26 pm »

maybe with a few good coats of spray or an overlaminate it might be archival?

iladi

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 04:26:13 am »

Typically a print with an Epson aqueous pigment printer only last outdoors about 6 months.

In the same conditions a Roland print lasts about 3 years un laminated. But there is a possibility that white and metallic inks to fade faster, I don't know for sure.

Regarding the print quality: it is about the same as they both use the same heads. Maybe a little more flexibility for Roland as it prints via a RIP.

The answer is yes, you can print landscapes and I don't think the ink is less archival than aqueous ink, but you have to check the price: one liter of white and metallic is about 500 euros, way more expensive than Epson's inks.

noisegeek

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 09:12:58 am »

The Epson inks are solvent based, and are intended for more commercial applications like signage and vehicle wraps. I believe the same is true for the Rolands as well, but I don't have any experience with them. In the case of the epson inks, the life span of their white and silver inks unlaminated is VERY short; something on the order of a month.

sunsetcoast

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 10:04:38 am »

They are used in large format, commercial type applications - think graphics and POP.  White and Silver inks both will last 60 days MAXIMUM outside, indoors 1 year MAXIMUM.  I am speaking in regards to any of the Espson S70 printers - they have to be charged with White and Silver inks at the time of installation.  After that, those cartridges cannot be added into the printer, so not every printer is set up that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up