Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunset at Cadaqués  (Read 946 times)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Sunset at Cadaqués
« on: April 04, 2015, 11:55:19 am »

Cadaqués it is a little fishertown (now mainly turistic one) in Catalonia, Spain, next to the mediterranean sea.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Re: Sunset at Cadaqués
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »

So I should probably be strung up and shot for saying this, but I'd love to see this shot in HDR.  However, my initial take was that the buildings and town were beautiful.  The sunset wasn't particularly strong for me, but then I like more action on a sunset, however, a strong sunset would take away from the focus, which is how beautiful the city is.  That being said my final look brought me to the faded hills in the back ground, and what I wanted was less smog or maybe more clarity on that background in terms of lighting.  That's where my thought that perhaps HDR would solve that. 
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:58:07 pm »

I like the balance between the city and mountains, and the way this is complemented by the city lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

francois

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:15:43 am »

I like the light… it gives a very natural image.
Francois

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 05:13:40 pm »

So I should probably be strung up and shot for saying this, but I'd love to see this shot in HDR.  However, my initial take was that the buildings and town were beautiful.  The sunset wasn't particularly strong for me, but then I like more action on a sunset, however, a strong sunset would take away from the focus, which is how beautiful the city is.  That being said my final look brought me to the faded hills in the back ground, and what I wanted was less smog or maybe more clarity on that background in terms of lighting.  That's where my thought that perhaps HDR would solve that. 

Well, I have other images with the sunset a bit stronger than this (slight different composition), but I like these light tones in the sky more, as you say, for the city not becoming so less relevant.

About the HDR and the hills, I like them more in this gray tone, I could recover some details for a +2 steps exposure of the same moment (the image that I uploaded it is just a single image developed in Lightroom, I took three bracketed shoots because I was not 100% sure that I could recover well the shadows in my 5D Mark II camera, it was a contrast scene with the sun going down behind the hills you see in the picture (this is more an sunrise location than sunset)), but this image more or less it is what I remember I saw in that moment... (or better said, the image that I had in mind in that moment when I was taking the photograph).

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 01:44:46 pm »

I completely agree.  I think what I was really after was more clarity, not HDR.  Meaning less pollution in our world... but I feel that way about many of my landscape shots.  I always wonder if 50 years ago the famous photographers had an advantage of relatively smog free more clear skies.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up