Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many days for the Palouse in Washington?  (Read 10350 times)

Jglaser757

How Many days for the Palouse in Washington?
« on: April 03, 2015, 12:04:43 pm »

I am going to take a workshop in the palouse for 4 days and wanted to know if that is enough time to be satisfied with enough images? Or is 4 days enough to cover iconic shots and non-iconic shots?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: How Many days for the Palouse in Washington?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 02:46:41 pm »

The Palouse is a large area.  I have lead numerous workshops to the area.  Mine usually run at least 5 days.  There is a lot to shoot there and some distance between areas.  If I were you I'd do the workshop and then spend sometime by yourself driving around.  The best way to shoot the Palouse is to drive around and have a good map.  There are no big popular pull off areas.  The Palouse changes by the day and month as well as the way light is playing on the fields.  As well as I know the area I always find new locations on each trip I make there.  No matter what though you should be able to make some good images.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Jglaser757

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 05:45:29 pm »

Thank for the feedback. I was thinking that i might take an extra few days after the workshop ends to drive around with a map(it seems to point out specific areas to shoot)

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 10:19:03 am »

What Kevin says! The Palouse is simply a very large farming area with many small back farm roads. You can really shoot for as long or as little as you want. I would suggest at least a week...and since the color pallet changes from season to season you might just want to go back! We centered in the small town of Colfax, but there are many other interesting towns, as well as the farm land, to shoot. Try to find one of Ansel's original woodies, as I recall located in Sprague...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:00:33 pm by Scott O. »

Msphoto

• Michael Sherman Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 01:57:08 pm »

I've made three trips to the Palouse, once in the winter.  Each time I stayed for a couple of nights and drove every road I couple find from dawn to dusk. And usually in each direction. It's amazing how the changing light totally transforms a scene that you might have driven right by earlier in the day. Plus everything changes with the progression of the seasons too.
So there is no specific number of days or even trips to complete the task. Thankfully there will always be more waiting for you.
Here's a link to a (flash) slideshow of some of my favorites. http://www.msphoto.ca/Palouse_slideshow.html
Have a great trip!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:45:35 pm by Msphoto »
Michael Sherman Photography
http://www.msphoto.ca

prairiewing

• Pat Gerlach, Photographer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 09:16:17 pm »

What's the best time of year there?
Pat Gerlach
   Pat Gerlach, Photographer

Jglaser757

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:34:04 pm »

June was great. Everything was green.  I spent 7 days there

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 03:01:41 am »

What's the best time of year there?

May/June for green and Aug/Sept for harvest.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 03:06:57 am »

The Palouse is a large area.

I agree...to really cover the area with the right light would take multiple days. 4 days for a workshop is "ok" but you'll be on a tight schedule due to driving time and you'll want to treat the workshop as scouting and then revisit locations at prime light time. Shooting will also depend on the time of year you are going...Aug/Sept for harvest and once harvested  the fields become rather boring...if you base out of Pullman you'll be relatively easy driving time to most of the best locations...

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 09:51:12 am »

I'm in the Palouse right now.  While four days is plenty for a good first start in the Palouse, this year right now Aug 8 is when the Harvest would normally start.  This year the harvest os over.  It started 4 weeks ago.  This was a very to and very dry year and farmers are trying to salvage the crop.  There are a few spots that harvesting is going on but there are few and they will soon be over.  I have been here for many harvests and never seen it like this.  Dry and dusty and flat.  Not a cloud in the sky either which is really unusual for several days.  Depending on when you come you may want to reconsider.  Check with the local chamber too.  Don't mean to be a downer but it is hard to find a shot and I am with Michael and Chris and we know all the places and many of the people. 

If timing works next year and I'll watch the weather and farm reports I'll come back early to mid-June for the planting season.  I need to see the Plaouse green after this trip.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Jglaser757

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 04:56:03 pm »

I was there in June for 8 days. Shot turnbull refuge first day arrived. Then headed to colfax. Workshop started following evening with a meet and greet. We were up next four mornings and on road at 4:30 am(  which was too late). Then shot till 7 am( which was too early.  I went out shooting IR during day, then sunset again.I spent days shooting this way.  By the sixth day I was tired and slept in.

I used the map that is give away for free from the chamber of commerce and hit about 75% of the noted spots and found tons more. On some back roads I would drive 100 yds, stop the car and shoot, get back in the car and drive another 50 ft only to discover that the land opened up more and the scene was much better. There are images are everywhere to be found.
Pages: [1]   Go Up