Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture keywords importing  (Read 1691 times)

Zoom

Aperture keywords importing
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:02:18 pm »

Hi all.
This is my first post here so apologies if this has been covered previously. 

I've been an Aperture user since version 1 and following Apple's decision to pull the plug on it, I'm looking at alternatives.  My requirements are possible different to most people in that actual post processing is slightly less important than the cataloguing of images.  I'm a photo journalist coverng predominantly motor sport and most of the pictures sent to motor sport publications don't need to be post processed to death.  (Many are straight out of the camera as time constraints are of the essence).

Aside from my own photo library I run digital archives for two motor clubs.  In total my library is close to 80,000 images.

I'm running a 30 day trial of Capture One at the moment and I've imported the smallest library to test it.  The images are there and I'm reasonably happy with the basic adjustment controls.  The issue I'm concerned about is Keywords.  I created around 1000 Keywords in Aperture (drivers names) and C1 seems to have retained the names attached to the images but I can't see the list of Keywords so that I can assign them to new photos.  Will the list be there somewhere?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:52:20 am by Zoom »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Aperture keywords importing
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 05:54:50 pm »

May be some useful info here, particularly in the comments.

From what you said re post production, Lightroom is probably a better choice as it has better organisational abilities than C1. C1's strength is for processing and the organising is best done separately.
LR's list of keywords is built from any keywords residing in your images. So if your images that you have imported in LR have keywords, then that will be reflected in the keyword list that will then appear in the keyword panel in Library module. This will then allow autocompletion when keywording and you can make have keyword sets you can access. Limited to 9 though which is quite annoying.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Zoom

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:17:42 pm »

May be some useful info here, particularly in the comments.

From what you said re post production, Lightroom is probably a better choice as it has better organisational abilities than C1. C1's strength is for processing and the organising is best done separately.
LR's list of keywords is built from any keywords residing in your images. So if your images that you have imported in LR have keywords, then that will be reflected in the keyword list that will then appear in the keyword panel in Library module. This will then allow autocompletion when keywording and you can make have keyword sets you can access. Limited to 9 though which is quite annoying.

Thanks for the link.  When I've finished working through my 30 days with C1, I'll try Lightroom.  I'm even prepared to take a look at Photos but I'm not overly hopeful that Apple will provide what's needed for anything but prosumers as this seems to be their way lately.

Despite the fact that the Keywords are there and I can search successfully for images, I can't see the any sign that the list of Keywords has been imported.  If this is the case, I'd have to create them all again which would be a lengthy process. 

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 07:31:00 pm »

Photos is aimed at the most casual of snapshooters and is ideal for them. Not anyone else.
Also Media Pro is a separate programme [how quaint] which Phase expects you to buy to properly organise your work. Which costs as much again as LR does and LR's all nicely integrated like Aperture.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Zoom

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 04:13:17 am »

Photos is aimed at the most casual of snapshooters and is ideal for them. Not anyone else.
Also Media Pro is a separate programme [how quaint] which Phase expects you to buy to properly organise your work. Which costs as much again as LR does and LR's all nicely integrated like Aperture.

I'll have a look at Media Pro but the whole of Phase One's site is throwing up a 404 Error message at the moment. >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up