Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson SureColor P600 Review  (Read 15362 times)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Epson SureColor P600 Review
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:54:16 am »

Hi Michael,

Nice review...

After looking at the price, $799, and seeing that the 3880 is around $910 after rebates, we are talking of a difference of less than $200, in my opinion, just in ink cost, the 3880 it is the one to go (with the extra to be able to print in 17"/A2 sizes...). Well, if they update the 3880 and stop selling it, the story may be different, but I don't see the P600 like an attractive option right now (you comment that there is a small difference with the blacks... but we were happy with the 3880 prints anyway ;) ).

Regards,

David

j45pixs

Re: Epson SureColor P600 Review
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 02:54:47 pm »

i had a 3880. after i had it 13 months it leaked ink badly. it was just out of warranty so it cost me several hundred dollars to repair. again, after another 4 years it leaked again. i was not going to spend another several hundred dollars again. btw repair was done by authorized epson repair service.
the 600 showed up. opted for it. i am satisfied with the size it prints as i do not make real large images

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:32:23 pm »

I'm interested in this printer as a replacement for my aging & increasingly cranky 3880. I don't print anywhere near the volume I used to, and ~12x16" prints suit me just as well as the ~15x20"s I can currently make. More of what I do print now is b&w too so the extra matte black DMAX would be welcome. If I follow up on my intent to use more b&w film this spring/summer it'll be a done deal.

-Dave-

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 11:05:39 pm »

Michael,

In another review it was stated that the color gamut of the P600 is actually a little less than the K3 Viid Magenta printers. The trade off was in ink/pigment stability/longevity.

I cannot remember the source, but the reviewer seemed knowledgeable.

Did you experience any sense of this?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

johndriggers

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:21 am »

"If you need a signpost to the fact that the digital imaging revolution is slowing down, look no further than inkjet photo printers."

This premise and the discussion that followed is a bit skewed, I think. There is really no discussion that Epson and the other printer manufacturers--through gouging via ink cartridge prices--more or less strangled the lower end of the prosumer/consumer market.

There is nothing in the review that leads me to believe that the P600 is just another step in the same direction. I'm selling my Canon pro 1 printer because the economics just don't make sense, and it's got largish cartridges.

When a complete set of cartridges costs close to 50% of the original printer price the value proposition begins to fade of us mere mortals.

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:51 pm »

+1

Love the "Join the conversation" button at the bottom of the page!

And great to see another printer review.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 03:01:31 pm »

On the other hand John, whenever I print I shake my head that I am able to make museum quality archival prints from a device that costs only $700. The cost of ink in a sold print is a lot less than 10%, and often more like 1%. Maybe they are gouging us, maybe not. Either way is not a big factor in my printing workflow.

Dave

MHMG

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 03:48:01 pm »

"If you need a signpost to the fact that the digital imaging revolution is slowing down, look no further than inkjet photo printers."

This premise and the discussion that followed is a bit skewed, I think. There is really no discussion that Epson and the other printer manufacturers--through gouging via ink cartridge prices--more or less strangled the lower end of the prosumer/consumer market.

There is nothing in the review that leads me to believe that the P600 is just another step in the same direction. I'm selling my Canon pro 1 printer because the economics just don't make sense, and it's got largish cartridges.

When a complete set of cartridges costs close to 50% of the original printer price the value proposition begins to fade of us mere mortals.

IMHO, after one factors out the decline in photographic printing caused by smartphones and social media sharing of images, what has taken the wind out of  the consumer/prosumer or "home printing" market, isn't the cost of the printer, inks, or media. It's the sheer insanity of the OS/printer driver interface. How can I tell a friend how to set up his/her printer when the steps needed to make a proper print are sorely altered by what  OS version is being used, the printer model and driver version being used, the software application being used, and on and on. How do I say do "this, this, this, this, this ,this, etc"  to make the print assuming I actually know where all the required page and media settings are buried and what OS bugs are current for that user's particular OS version and printer driver version on that given day? All of the books and video tutorials I've read on printmaking and color management give the reader recipes to the extent that they can, but at the end of the day, there are way too many pitfalls to successful printing at the amateur/prosumer level. You've got to be able to eat, breathe, and sleep digital printmaking like some of us here attempt to do in order to keep on top of all the problems.

I don't blame the printer manufacturers. What is sorely needed but not likely high on Apple's or Microsoft's agenda anymore, is a much more thorough standardization of the printing pipeline. Every single software app should lead every user to exactly the same standardized printing interface. It doesn't come even close nowadays. Even on the same computer and OS version, print from PS and you get one page setup and media pathway, print from LR you get another, print from Apple Pages, or MS Word and you get another, etc., etc. Don't get me started on what settings should be "sticky" and which settings should rightfully default after successfully making just one print. That's a nightmare on top of a nightmare.

I recall hearing or reading somewhere recently that Epson had decided to make a stab at simplifying the printer driver interface. I haven't read a single review of the P600 that even discusses any improvement on that score :(

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:27:36 pm by MHMG »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 08:08:13 pm »

In another review it was stated that the color gamut of the P600 is actually a little less than the K3 Viid Magenta printers.
Built a custom profile for a customer today with that printer, on Exhibition Fiber. Compared to my 3880 using the same paper, that printer's gamut is a bit bigger.
According to ColorThink Pro, the 3880 has a gamut volume of 755,573 and the P600 has a gamut volume of 738,701. The difference seen in 3D seems to be green's and cyans. Nothing significant however.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

graubaer

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:48:22 am »

How does it work with the waste ink tank in this one?
I just avoided spending 170€ on my R2400 and installed an external waste ink tank at 25€ plus 9€ for software reset. Hope it works as promised.
Any other hidden costs on this new one or should one switch to Canon, because of this special treat?

Thanks,
Graubaer

maarten

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 10:50:01 am »

IMHO, after one factors out the decline in photographic printing caused by smartphones and social media sharing of images, what has taken the wind out of  the consumer/prosumer or "home printing" market, isn't the cost of the printer, inks, or media. It's the sheer insanity of the OS/printer driver interface. How can I tell a friend how to set up his/her printer when the steps needed to make a proper print are sorely altered by what  OS version is being used, the printer model and driver version being used, the software application being used, and on and on. How do I say do "this, this, this, this, this ,this, etc"  to make the print assuming I actually know where all the required page and media settings are buried and what OS bugs are current for that user's particular OS version and printer driver version on that given day? All of the books and video tutorials I've read on printmaking and color management give the reader recipes to the extent that they can, but at the end of the day, there are way too many pitfalls to successful printing at the amateur/prosumer level. You've got to be able to eat, breathe, and sleep digital printmaking like some of us here attempt to do in order to keep on top of all the problems.

I don't blame the printer manufacturers. What is sorely needed but not likely high on Apple's or Microsoft's agenda anymore, is a much more thorough standardization of the printing pipeline. Every single software app should lead every user to exactly the same standardized printing interface. It doesn't come even close nowadays. Even on the same computer and OS version, print from PS and you get one page setup and media pathway, print from LR you get another, print from Apple Pages, or MS Word and you get another, etc., etc. Don't get me started on what settings should be "sticky" and which settings should rightfully default after successfully making just one print. That's a nightmare on top of a nightmare.

I recall hearing or reading somewhere recently that Epson had decided to make a stab at simplifying the printer driver interface. I haven't read a single review of the P600 that even discusses any improvement on that score :(

HEAR, HEAR !!!

My IQ was tested on 145 and also for me, a regular printer, printing interfaces are a pain in the ***!!! Let's start a petition for uniform, logical printing interfaces.

M
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 10:54:51 am by Maarten »

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 10:06:23 am »

Built a custom profile for a customer today with that printer, on Exhibition Fiber. Compared to my 3880 using the same paper, that printer's gamut is a bit bigger.
According to ColorThink Pro, the 3880 has a gamut volume of 755,573 and the P600 has a gamut volume of 738,701. The difference seen in 3D seems to be green's and cyans. Nothing significant however.

Andrew,

Thanks!

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

PeterF

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 04:22:44 am »

"I don't blame the printer manufacturers"

While I understand why you would say this, the fact remains that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to see to it that their product works, is it not? Why is it unreasonable the expect Epson and all others to be continually watching all OS etc updates and adapting their software to COPE with all oddities and still provide their clients with a workable interface and satisfactory print outcome?

I have an Epson 9700, I use Apple and have a CC subscription for PS and LR, all are updated with every update asap. However one thing has remained constant over the 3 years of owning and running the 9700: Between Apple, Adobe and most significantly Epson, not one of them has a bastard clue as to what the actual size and positioning of the print will be on the paper. 100mm is not 100mm when printed and as for boarders, well they never come out even uniformly, never mind being the correct size.

Now yes, technically Apple and Adobe are part to blame, but really it is EPSON who I bought a very expensive printer from and I am THEIR client and it is THEIR job to always have up-to-date software and drivers that know what Apple and Adobe are doing and work with/around/whatever-is-necessary to provide me with something that works every time.

How what they are doing is even legal I have no idea...

PeterF

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 04:27:27 am »

Michael,

What if any is the news of the new matte black ink coming to other Epson printers? If you still have your 9700 (I have one of these) I am sure you would like to have this new ink for it?

Kind regards

MHMG

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 10:56:58 am »

"I don't blame the printer manufacturers"

While I understand why you would say this, the fact remains that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to see to it that their product works, is it not? Why is it unreasonable the expect Epson and all others to be continually watching all OS etc updates and adapting their software to COPE with all oddities and still provide their clients with a workable interface and satisfactory print outcome?

Perhaps I should have said "I don't entirely blame the printer manufacturers" For sure, a broken driver is a broken driver, and the printer vendors need to fix those problems.  But how can it be the printer manufacturer's problem entirely when Apple (or maybe Microsoft, I don't use a PC) throws a huge wrench into the works like what happened, for example, on the Mac with OS 10.6, and again with 10.7, and now recently with 10.10. But it's even worse than that due to Apple's lack of enforcing a standardized application interface.  Apple doesn't even enforce a standardized printing pipeline for their own apps!  Try printing from Apple Preview.  Now repeat the experiment with Apple Pages, and again with an otherwise cool little app, Apple ColorSync Utility.  As the end user, you will have to hunt down all of the required settings in completely different locations when calling up exactly the same printer driver.  What's up with that?

Makes it really hard to teach a novice printmaker what to do in order to get a decent print even when the OS and printer driver are playing nice together.

cheers,
Mark
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:29:27 am by MHMG »

dreed

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 01:27:55 pm »

I'd love to own and buy a printer but...
1) I don't know which one is right for me
2) Because I wouldn't print frequently, I would waste lots of ink in cleaning runs (or so reviews lead me to believe)
3) printing something out is only half the problem - how do I mount a 4'x6' piece of paper at home? And which rag or whatever would I use?
4) the art of getting a print to look right with tone matching, gamuts, etc, for a quality print seems beyond the realms of average home users

So whilst I look on at printer reviews, I spend $$$ on getting professionals to print and mount my prints. Yes, this doesn't mean I print very often (a handful of times a year) but I give them a USB stick and get back something ready to hang on a wall. Some shops even let me spend 5 or 10 minutes with someone to calibrate/crop, etc. At others I often find mums coming in with USB sticks to get things printed.

All of which means if I owned a printer, it would be for..
1) happy family snaps
2) selfies
- i.e. things that I will share with people rather than art I want to hang and not needing/wanting to spend more than a couple of hundred $ on a printer.

And if there is a problem with printer sales then maybe the real issue is total cost of ownership and use doesn't add up for many people.

From my perspective, the sale of printers has nothing to do with the digital revolution but rather the box I can buy from Adorama or Amazon or B&H that plugs into the wall socket won't give me what I want when I plug it in to the computer. And there are countless web sites and services that will cater to the "small fry" prints for mounting that can be posted easily.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:07:08 am by dreed »

Telecaster

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 04:40:58 pm »

From my perspective, the sale of printers has nothing to do with the digital revolution but rather the box I can buy from Adorama or Amazon or B&H that plugs into the wall socket won't give me what I want when I plug it in to the computer. And there are countless web sites and services that will cater to the "small fry" prints for mounting that can be posted easily.

Good points IMO. I've been making inkjet prints since the first photo-capable Epsons came on the market. Nowadays I know how to get printers to do what I want, but this is the result of many years of trial & error & sloowly improving hard- & soft-ware technology. Color/tonal management is still way more fiddly and house-of-cards-y than it should be. One reason I'm reluctant to give up my current 3880, despite its increasing mechanical crankiness, is that I remember how long it took to get it dialed in properly. I'm not keen to spend days & weeks re-profiling again from scratch & then fine-tuning those profiles.

-Dave-

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 01:54:35 am »

Interesting points by everyone and particularly the gripes about the OS/driver/profile difficulties.  I struggled for years making my own profiles and then doing it all again with each OS or printer upgrade but that problem disappeared when I took the plunging bought a RIP - for those who don't know a RIP is a piece of software that bypasses the OS and the printer driver.  The one I bought was Imageprint by Colorbytesoftware after reading a review on this site.  Image print has downloadable profiles for almost all matt and gloss printing papers and will add more on request. Not cheap but well worth it in the end if you are serious about making high quality prints yourself. 

For me the ability to take my interest in photography through the whole process to a finished print is what makes it all so fascinating.
David Watson ARPS

michael

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 05:58:04 am »

Michael,

What if any is the news of the new matte black ink coming to other Epson printers? If you still have your 9700 (I have one of these) I am sure you would like to have this new ink for it?

Kind regards

Sometimes silence on a subject can speak louder than words.

Michael

dek100

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2015, 12:34:22 pm »

Hi there,

i see that it's been a while since the last post on the Epson p-600, however as I'm currently in the market for a new printer, and this could do the job, I'd like to ask few things to all of you how had the chance to try it. In particular I'd like to know if someone had the chance to compare it with the Canon counterpart, i.e. the Pixma Pro-1. I can barely find some information about that, even if it's been around for a while...

thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up